Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug use

Options
  • 23-05-2020 2:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Why do so many people assume that every drug user is a homeless person in tracksuits? Talking to my family and a friend, when you mention weed, the first thing that pops into their mind is someone completely out of it on O'Connell Street, they don't even think of the millions that have smoked it in this country and are financially and mentally functioning.

There's no point in having rational discussions about drugs with some people who show astounding ignorance. I mean everyone is ignorant about some things but willfully talking **** like comparing weed to heroin when you don't have any experience with them makes me lose respect in your eyes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why do so many people assume that every drug user is a homeless person in tracksuits? Talking to my family and a friend, when you mention weed, the first thing that pops into their mind is someone completely out of it on O'Connell Street.

There's no point in having rational discussions about drugs with some people who show astounding ignorance. I mean everyone is ignorant about some things but willfully talking **** like comparing weed to heroin when you don't have any experience with them makes me lose respect in your eyes.

You?

Drugs?

Well that explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

'Your' family and 'a' friend hardly counts as 'so many' people.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

You answered your own question before you asked it

There's no point in having rational discussions about drugs with some people who show astounding ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's people who are anti-drugs, but who drink alcohol and swear blind that "it's not really a drug" that gets me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Just be thankful it’s only confined to those few towns with an O’Connel street...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Well there’s not much around in Dublin now, a friend told me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Millions don't smoke it in Ireland.....
    Bizarre comments to make....

There isn't even 5 million here...

Many types of junkie but the ones you see around the city are there to get their fix and methadone from the clinics.

Most of these travel on public transport to get from the housing they're provided with by us tax paying idiots.....

There are also many foreigners going about the city with serious mental issues and drink and drug abuse is big too.

They are standing out more then ever the last few weeks.

It's people who are anti-drugs, but who drink alcohol and swear blind that "it's not really a drug" that gets me.

Different really though as one is legal the rest aren't.....

Yes it's a drug and the majority can handle it and enjoy a few at the weekend or every so often....

Of course there are those that can't handle it at all but what's really taken off is the dangerous cocktail of the mixing of both....

That's the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Millions don't smoke it in Ireland.....
    Bizarre comments to make....

There isn't even 5 million here...

Many types of junkie but the ones you see around the city are there to get their fix and methadone from the clinics.

Most of these travel on public transport to get from the housing they're provided with by us tax paying idiots.....

There are also many foreigners going about the city with serious mental issues and drink and drug abuse is big too.

They are standing out more then ever the last few weeks.

Feckin ' foreigners taking our drink and drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Get the odd whiff of cannabis in the city centre - often close by 3rd world types. Welcome to Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They took our jobs

LeYouth wrote: »
    Get the odd whiff of cannabis in the city centre - often close by 3rd world types. Welcome to Ireland!

Anywhere along boardwalks or sitting areas I find....

They took our jobs

And our boardwalk.

Well there was one on George's street the other day abusing anyone that passed and then took it upon himself to relieve the grass from.the cracks in the ground and then twirling around and shouting, looking to the sky and throwing it at people.... The 2 deliveroo guys stuck around a lot longer then I would have but did have the sense eventually to move....

Well there was one on George's street the other day abusing anyone that passed and then took it upon himself to relieve the grass from.the cracks in the ground and then twirling around and shouting, looking to the sky and throwing it at people.... The 2 deliveroo guys stuck around a lot longer then I would have but did have the sense eventually to move....

And there you are , roaming from the boardwalk to Georges street passing judgement on the those poor souls.

Yes it's a drug and the majority can handle it and enjoy a few at the weekend or every so often....

Of course there are those that can't handle it at all but what's really taken off is the dangerous cocktail of the mixing of both....

That's the danger.

Apart from the first sentence, you could be talking about almost any drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

People who are drinking alcohol are drug users ....

weisses wrote: »
    People who are drinking alcohol are drug users ....

Would you class them as junkies

And there you are , roaming from the boardwalk to Georges street passing judgement on the those poor souls.

Wasn't roaming unfortunately my work has me going by these often...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Canal. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That's the danger.

No. Alcohol is dangerous enough on it’s own. It doesn’t need any other substance to make complete ****e of your life and of those around you.

It’s also far more likely to do so than weed.

How are defining 'junkie'? I ask because every time someone uses the word the seem to mean during different.

If a drug user, then yes.
    If a drug pusher, then no. That's more the bar/off-licence owner.

If you're referring specifically to the use of dangerous drugs, than it's open to debate, but a case could be made for yes.
    If you're referring specifically to the use of illegal drugs, then obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Depends on the amount consumed and dependency on the alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

weisses wrote: »

Depends on the amount consumed and dependency on the alcohol

But then they would be called alcoholic!

How are defining 'junkie'? I ask because every time someone uses the word the seem to mean during different.

If a drug user, then yes.
    If a drug pusher, then no. That's more the bar/off-licence owner.

If you're referring specifically to the use of dangerous drugs, than it's open to debate, but a case could be made for yes.
    If you're referring specifically to the use of illegal drugs, then obviously not.

Junkies or drug addicts tend to be those you see strung out after getting their fix of crack, benzo, opioid such as heroin and even prescription meds with these in them....
    Coke is widely used and anyone that uses it really needs help, as do they all....

I've seen them injecting on the bus, train and on the streets, trousers down, into the penis, into their eye balls with the help of another and a torch.....

It's very very sad to see anyone turn out like them and how their lives are destroyed and family and friends and society as a whole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Everyone I've known who smokes weed on a regular basis has been a complete waster with no direction in life.

Junkies or drug addicts tend to be those you see strung out after getting their fix of crack, benzo, opioid such as heroin and even prescription meds with these in them....
    Coke is widely used and anyone that uses it really needs help, as do they all....

I've seen them injecting on the bus, train and on the streets, trousers down, into the penis, into their eye balls with the help of another and a torch.....

It's very very sad to see anyone turn out like them and how their lives are destroyed and family and friends and society as a whole too.

In all the years I've been working in drug services and homeless services , I've never heard of an addict injecting into his eyeball even with assistance, ever.

Injecting into the penis is extremely rare , it along with the groin, neck and armpits are high risk area.

I've worked in needle exchanges and would very familiar with IV drug use , including risks associated, different types of needles, barrels , paraphernalia along with recognising damage to veins and tissue associated with drug use.

I'd be on first name terms too with a lot of the individuals you call junkies in Dublin city centre.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you're getting your info on regarding the the paragraph...?

Anyway, if a junkie is someone who consumes a drug openly and then proceeds to display the effects in publuc, then yes - some drinkers are definitely junkies. It being legal or socially-acceptable makes no difference.

Advertisement