Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just listening to the video here now. Waste of time. "Transact" appears to be the current buzz word. The assessments that couldn't transact in June. The principal will assist teachers with arrangements to transact that meeting. What planet are these people on?!

I found all the long pauses a little disconcerting - has it crashed? Is the sound gone? - they should consult the SEC on the art of announcing pauses with long beeps. The last line was particularly weird: "thank you for your attention"............................."to this video". (Just in case you weren't sure what you were being thanked for). Easy know whoever produced that hasn't been honing their remote teaching skills over the past 11 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭amacca

Our principal sent us a copy of the documentation the students got this morning about registering on the portal for calculated grades. They have until Thursday to do it.

In the FAQs at the end of the document it says

So they can find out how they were ranked and their estimated percentage the day they get the results?? I thought they could just check clerical work/if data was entered correctly etc etc.........thats a bit **** tbh........imo anyway......i thought at the very least they would have to go through a gdpr request 30 days after results out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Has anyone been given a deadlime by their principal for when this is to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

amacca wrote: »
    So they can find out how they were ranked and their estimated percentage the day they get the results?? I thought they could just check clerical work/if data was entered correctly etc etc.........thats a bit **** tbh........imo anyway......i thought at the very least they would have to go through a gdpr request 30 days after results out.

I presume the appeal will be a straightforward enough process. If the mark the teacher has given is the same as the one the DES gives, or at least generates the same grade, then it's game over.

If the grade the teacher has given it's different to the final one awarded by the DES, then a student might invoke the appeal procedure.

I'd also imagine that as the marks were given online last year along with their grades they are following that process for this set up. Given the nature of grade calculation the last thing the DES want is for there to be accusations of cloak and dagger stuff, the process needs to be transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Has anyone been given a deadlime by their principal for when this is to be done?

What's the opposite of a deadline? Ours trying to drag it out and hold us for as long as they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

I presume the appeal will be a straightforward enough process. If the mark the teacher has given is the same as the one the DES gives, or at least generates the same grade, then it's game over.

If the grade the teacher has given it's different to the final one awarded by the DES, then a student might invoke the appeal procedure.

I'd also imagine that as the marks were given online last year along with their grades they are following that process for this set up. Given the nature of grade calculation the last thing the DES want is for there to be accusations of cloak and dagger stuff, the process needs to be transparent.

Will student be able to see teacher input grade & des final output simultaneously?

I really doubt they'd immediately publish all discrepancies.

Plus it might actually show the DES tweeking grades in certain socio economic areas!

Let a Gdpr request to the school deter the messers for a week or so till the dust settles.

I really can't see this ending well.

Plus.... in your school Who enters the final grade onto the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Treppen wrote: »
    Will student be able to see teacher input grade & des final output simultaneously?

I really doubt they'd immediately publish all discrepancies.

Plus it might actually show the DES tweeking grades in certain socio economic areas!

Let a Gdpr request to the school deter the messers for a week or so till the dust settles.

I really can't see this ending well.

It'll have to be a fast enough turn around if they plan on doing the CAO offers as normal and allowing colleges to get started.

Treppen wrote: »
    Plus.... in your school Who enters the final grade onto the system?

The document allows for somebody to be given a job (paid but rates not specified) to help principal with process. In reality I'd say forms will be handed to secretary to punch them in

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I'd say forms will be handed to secretary to punch them in

Are the hard copies not being sent to DES?

• Advertisement

JDMC2 wrote: »

They go into ppod i think. Be easier for school to hold forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭amacca

In that case I'd question the need for them to see the ranking. That's needlessly divisive imo

In that case I'd question the need for them to see the ranking. That's needlessly divisive imo

I'd agree with this, "why did they finish ahead of me?"

JDMC2 wrote: »

It says principal to retain the forms until appeals process concluded. Data input through Esinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

In my view the whole process is being rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Can I just clarify - the training that the department said we were getting .... that's the guidelines, yeah? There hasn't been anything else, am I right?

Also - had a very interesting phonecall with a TUI representative. He either didn't know what he was talking about or he lied outright to me, but he assured me "100%" that the mark I award each individual is the "exact mark they get in the LC." He told me that our principals can ask us to review the mark, but ultimately we have the final say and yes, the mark we assign is the mark they get, right down to the percentage.

Extremely at odds with the guidelines, which state:

"The mark assigned by the school is not necessarily the final mark that the student will receive" :rolleyes:

TUI FAQ was sent out this evening.

Students who submit a data access request will see their school generated percentage mark and a redacted Form B with just their own rank in the class.

It also specifically cautions against relying on averages or any type of mathematical calculation.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Can I just clarify - the training that the department said we were getting .... that's the guidelines, yeah? There hasn't been anything else, am I right?

There's also a great video.

I was thinking about the need to know your ranking in terms of personal data etc. As a teacher i think youre entitled to it after interviews etc. so sauce for the goose and all that.

Although it's a lot different comparing Adults with Teenagers, whatever about measuring yourself amongst other job applicants and some fellow colleagues, being ranked with friends or enimies or people you never associate with in a class must be horrible. I hope at the very most the student just sees their own place in the ranking and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Look there are people dying with Covid. Its a farcical system. Give your reasonable guess-but be generous because in our brave educational world-its pity the children and lower standards.

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    In my view the whole process is being rushed.

Rip the bandage and be done with it. No matter what grade you pick you are on a hiding to nothing.

It's just a horrible position and goes against everything we as teachers value about trying your best for your students and sending them into the exam on their own to do their best.

Why the **** didn't FG just hold the line for another 2 months, more about media optics and votes. 'By hook or by crook' me proverbial.

There's also a great video.

Oh yes, I've just found it. Okay I will give that a watch now in a bit. Still trying to get my head round all of this.

Am still grading and inputting third year results. I don't have non-exam year groups but colleagues who do are still teaching :eek:

We had a staff meeting about the predicted grades today. Up until this point the party line has been "don't worry, we will guide you through this process"

Today's motto? "You're professionals - use your judgement. You know best"

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh yes, I've just found it. Okay I will give that a watch now in a bit. Still trying to get my head round all of this.

To avoid disappointment, just in case, the video is not in fact great. It's a waste of time.

To avoid disappointment, just in case, the video is not in fact great. It's a waste of time.

Fair review :)

Sing along to the tune of 7 days by Craig David (I know :o )

Did my predicted grading training on Monday,
    Started guessing grades on Tuesday,
    We were filling out form As by Wednesday,
    And Thursday and Friday and Saturday
    We got blind drunk on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Quick question from a primary teacher here. What happens to those students who don't register on the student portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Quick question from a primary teacher here. What happens to those students who don't register on the student portal?

Nothing?

They need to register there in normal times anyway, but a lot of them would have support from the guidance counsellors with it.

Every student gets assessed regardless. Before they receive their result they have to agree to opt in to the process

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ngunners

Half way through the video now (played at 1.5 speed). It’s basically just a rehash of the guidelines. Did I miss something or does it provide no added value?

• Advertisement

ngunners wrote: »
    Half way through the video now (played at 1.5 speed). It’s basically just a rehash of the guidelines. Did I miss something or does it provide no added value?

It's the document again only at a very slow pace, for those who struggle with reading I presume

Advertisement