Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Do ye think many teachers will fail their students?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Treppen wrote: »
    I would assume the student isn't included in the class ranking?

I'm not sure to be honest as it's not my student. But you'd assume the teacher can't rank if they aren't assigning a grade. If the department is really allowing grade changes then there is something wrong with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Still no news on levels yet? This is getting ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jane98 wrote: »

Next Tuesday apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Oh i think we're firmly in ridiculous and unacceptable territory now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Do ye think many teachers will fail their students?

No. But students might fail themselves depending on their results history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do we think many will still choose to sit the deferred Leaving Cert 2020?

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Do we think many will still choose to sit the deferred Leaving Cert 2020?

Not sure what way numbers will pan out. The further away it gets the easier it might be for students who want to sit the exam, to just repeat the year and sut next summer. At least then they'll have school and teacher support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

That makes sense. Then there’s the issue of where they would be held and who would supervise them as schools should be back in session.and correct them for that matter.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    That makes sense. Then there’s the issue of where they would be held and who would supervise them as schools should be back in session.and correct them for that matter.

And precisely because it makes sense is why the Department won't back it as an option! Now to be fair, it wouldn't work if a sizeable amount of students decided to do it, as schools don't have the capacity for a huge influx of repeat students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Just got an email from DP to say levels being posted to school today, so presumably will be in schools on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Just got an email from DP to say levels being posted to school today, so presumably will be in schools on Monday.

Got the same confirmation today. In school from Monday morning and the database system to input data from management's end is available from midday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ngunners

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another friday evening circular :D

km79 wrote: »
    Another friday evening circular :D

I'll give the Department one thing...they're consistant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

ngunners wrote: »

Should this position be open to all staff to apply for?

Should this position be open to all staff to apply for?

In our place we were just told it was going to the postholder who does the exams every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

In our place we were just told it was going to the postholder who does the exams every year.

Was offered to the Exam Aide / Secretary for the State Exams in our place and was to be opened to all staff if that person didn't want it. I think (?) that was practice in most places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Offered to all staff in our school. I'm not sure there was much interest in it to be honest. I think I may have been the only person to say they'd do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

These kinda jobs and yearhead positions don't get offered in our school. Somebody just arrives in with the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Just got our confirmed levels this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Notorious wrote: »
    Any idea who should give the predicted grade here?
    The teacher.
    If I was in that position, I’d have filled out all of the forms in the usual way, and given the student the mark they deserve. If the student was genuinely better, let them do an exam when the time comes.
    If the student is included in the class rank, and the teacher submits a mark, surely that can’t be overridden by the principal?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Newbie20

No. But students might fail themselves depending on their results history.

That’s a good way of putting it. I just meant would there be many making the tough calls when it comes to failing but as you say it’s the students past results/work rate all along that would decide that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Regarding the above, sadly, it’s not the truth. We can say that the students are failing themselves, but because of this farcical system (and I use the term ‘system’ extremely loosely here), that’s not what’s happening. It’s within my control to give my students higher marks, whether I think they deserve them or not, and it’s possible they’d achieve higher marks, if they’d made the effort, but today, I have to go into the school and submit new form As, because they picked higher level when they should have picked ordinary level, and I will be failing them, because I don’t think they’d have passed.

I have no way of knowing though. I can certainly justify it, based on past performance, but I went up roughly 30% between my mocks and my leaving cert in two subjects. These two students might have done likewise. I (genuinely) don’t think they would have though, so I am going to be failing them.

I might add, for the record, that both are likely to put that down to me not liking them, as I have had several ‘run ins’ with both students in the past. That hasn’t actually come into it (I hope - unconscious bias is a problem because it’s unconscious, after all), but I very much doubt they’ll believe that.

JPF82 wrote: »
    Just got our confirmed levels this morning.

Did your school get them via post or the portal? I’m confused about that as I though the levels could be accessed via portal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

RealJohn wrote: »
    Regarding the above, sadly, it’s not the truth. We can say that the students are failing themselves, but because of this farcical system (and I use the term ‘system’ extremely loosely here), that’s not what’s happening. It’s within my control to give my students higher marks, whether I think they deserve them or not, and it’s possible they’d achieve higher marks, if they’d made the effort, but today, I have to go into the school and submit new form As, because they picked higher level when they should have picked ordinary level, and I will be failing them, because I don’t think they’d have passed.

I have no way of knowing though. I can certainly justify it, based on past performance, but I went up roughly 30% between my mocks and my leaving cert in two subjects. These two students might have done likewise. I (genuinely) don’t think they would have though, so I am going to be failing them.

I might add, for the record, that both are likely to put that down to me not liking them, as I have had several ‘run ins’ with both students in the past. That hasn’t actually come into it (I hope - unconscious bias is a problem because it’s unconscious, after all), but I very much doubt they’ll believe that.

Hi - just wondering what you mean by submitting ‘New’ Form As.....students can only choose to move down levels.

Hi - just wondering what you mean by submitting ‘New’ Form As.....students can only choose to move down levels.

I was under the impression you could only move down not up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I was under the impression you could only move down not up.

It mentions that they can move down if they like.... Although they kind of say they have to confirm " the subject level at which they initially entered for the examinations ".

Are the 2 systems linked?? I reckon they can choose whatever level they like. Maybe someone else can confirm.

"Can my child change level?

Yes. As part of the process of Calculated Grades, Leaving Certificate students will have access to an online portal where they will be required to confirm the subject level at which they initially entered for the examinations or they can change to a lower level. They will need to do this on or before 10pm on Thursday 28 May. It is essential that students confirm their levels at this time so that their schools can complete their task of providing an estimated percentage mark and rank order for each student.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Many who dropped after the mocks wouldn't have been changed on the official system. They were probably registered for HL when they logged in to the portal and decided to just leave it. Even if in reality they had agreed to drop, and possibly even moved classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Did your school get them via post or the portal? I’m confused about that as I though the levels could be accessed via portal.

Portal I'm guessing as we were all emailed the PDF of subject codes and student levels. The PDF wasn't something that was scanned in our school by the quality of it.

Advertisement