Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I thought I read something about Catherine Martin sending a letter to cabinet colleagues last night stressing the urgent need to return to live events etc. before the whole industry collapses. Can't seem to find anything now though. Maybe it was a really weird, politically specific dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

It would be hard to say. But it must be a fairly well oiled machine at this stage.

Considering the planning included a site layout, I would say any team bringing a stage/area has a fair idea what they need to do. If there are multiple teams all working on different areas, then it could all come together quickly.

Getting the larger items like the bigger tents to site and set up would be a key milestones.

If they only got 2 weeks notice and put out a call for help, I would happily pack the tent and head to Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Jesus, it really is a roller-coaster ride trying to stay positive. I'm ALMOST past caring about EP 21 at this stage.

I guess this coming announcement from Tony Holohan will either be a final nail in the EP coffin or a green light of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Rfrip

If they scaled it back to 20k, irish only acts, would ye all still go or get refund for next year

I would go in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

The colour green would be a marvellous thing to see. I used to be optimistic...I'm not any mistic at all now. The cautiousness of this man is absolutely something to behold--I don't even know how he gets the milk from the doorstep every morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭rubick

Only after filing three Risk Assessments via three independent working bodies and a Committee Meeting to discuss the findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Tony Holohan is a massive anti-alcohol advocate, prior to covid had many many actions and recommendations against drinking. I think "drinking restrictions" during the pandemic were the correct call to stop the spread, but to me it demonstrates his/ NEPHETS approach, take zero risk!! Never declare things are safe, the situation will always be unsafe in their idealistic view.

The government will need to make a call to overrule, not for ep but everything. Trouble is they got their fingers burnt going against NEPHETs advice over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Would the locals be happy with 20k, I doubt it! Blinkered!

If they were happy it would need to be run as a separate festival? completely new ticket process via TM. All the other 70k rolled over to 2022, that's the only way I think you could fairly go from 70 to 20 k.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

for anyone who wants to show support and maybe get a thankful nod from a crew member when this all blows over

The hoodies are quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

A big crowd in a field is a big crowd in a field. Why is 20k "safer" than 70k if vaccinations / recent test are a precursor to entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well good, they certainly haven't thrown in the towel. No mention of antigen testing but they are right to be stressing the fact that they are running events in the current climate in numerous other countries and settings. I hope they will at least push the government to the point of having to justify a decision to not allow EP to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So MCD are involved, maybe this will be the year of the Aphex Twin 😀

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The only worrying this Michael mentioned earlier that no talk of further changing of restrictions till September. MCD/FR will have a cut of point where they physically couldnt get the site up and running in a specific amount of time so they will need a definate decision within the next few weeks. They probably already have plans on how they can get it setup within say 6 weeks or less for example.

I got a t-shirt and hoodie last year and they are seriously cosy, plus it was money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭endainoz

An interesting bold move not letting the unvaccinated enter the sight at all. A good decision

A moot point. I'd say everyone looking to go will be double dosed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Richard Ashcroft or Ian Brown won’t be playing in Electric Picnic anyway. Outspoken critics of the government not allowing unvaccinated fans attend festivals. Two legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

::

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Between this and the fact that they have moved the festival back a couple of weeks it is all positive noises coming out of the EP camp, but that was never going to be the issue.

NPHET and the government are the obstacles to EP going ahead this year or not. It's almost like Festival Republic are trying to call their bluff..

- in 2 months time anyone who wants a vaccine will have one.

- They are hoping to have 36,000 in Croke Park in a few weeks and potentially more for the final.

- schools and colleges will be back by then, possibility that offices will be too.

- events have been and will be happening in the UK with no issues so far.

All indicators point towards there being no reason why EP should not go ahead. But it is probably the antithesis of NPHET and everything they stand for - alcohol, people mixing, large crowds, drugs, fun.. My gut instinct is it will not go ahead for no particular reason, but if they keep delaying long enough it will come to a point where it is just not possible to organise a festival on such short notice. Hopefully I'm wrong, it would be an unbelievable feeling to be back in Stradbally without a care in the world after everything that has happened the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Got the tshirt last year great to give some support. On my ep outfit shortlist whenever we get back. Make not make the final list as can see drunk youngsters thinking i am working and asking me stupid questions.

We're on .. we're off... on again... .. tbf, it could go either way at this stage. Although time is running out for a decent lead in for the organisers.

As I recall they were still building parts of the Main Arena on the Friday afternoon last outing. Couldn't get a Kinara Kitchen until much later. Still, if that's the worst thing to complain about at the end of September we'll be grand.

Post edited by rubick on

Forever Young Festival have cancelled due to lack of certainty from the government which was due to take place about two weeks before EP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ah sh1t

A colleague in here made a very good point (I think?)

If a person attended is fully vaccinated, it unfortunately doesn't stop them from transmitting it. It of course reduces the severity of the symptoms and that's a blessing, but someone technically could rock up with the cert and carry it inside.

Would the way to go not be a cert and an antigen test? Logistically it would be difficult but the cost would be minimal and the benefits well worth the hassle?

It is true that a vaccinated person can have the virus and can transmit it. However the viral load is so low that is much less likely to transmit. And if you consider that everyone else been vaccinated, the possiblity of transmission is extremely low, not zero, but close.

Thankfully this is the case, otherwise we would never open anything.

I don't think anyone doubts that the parameters that FR have laid out are safe for everyone. It is just a question of whether the authorities have the balls to grab the bull by the horns. Apart from the fvcking "meaningful Christmas" debacle, very little horn grabbing has been observed to date.

Grab the horn, lads.

A new thread meme/t-shirt combo is born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I listed to a podcast from the NYT last week on the spread of delta, and my take away was that there was a larger than expected viral load, even with vaccinated people who caught it, which caused the virus to remain in the system longer, which increases the chance of spreading.

Anyhoo, I am desperate for the EP to go ahead. I've had both my jabs and will show my cert to anyone who will look at it. My point was that as an extra precaution, if it was enough to sway anyone, I'd be happy to take the test.

Advertisement