Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ultimately I find this all to be borderline irrelevant. After everyone has been vaccinated, regardless of whether transmission stops, we have to start allowing events. Because there is no other pathway, other than indefinite suspension of large events. There is no other hand we can play to make it safer, and we're simply not going to stop having events forever.

If they aren't happy to allow events with everyone fully vaccinated, the question needs to be put them - what needs to change for them to be allowed? I don't think they have a logical answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

" After everyone has been vaccinated, regardless of whether transmission stops, we have to start allowing events"

Transmission is an issue. The more transmission, the more likely that it can mutate. I agree we absolutely have to get on with things, and whilst I definitely believe that we need to get on with life, there is no need to not give any thought to COVID anymore. That would be ****ing lovely if we could.

"There is no other hand we can play to make it safer"

Yes there is - antigen testing at events. It is cheap and effective.

Anyhoo, there's an article in the journal which quotes Leo saying that matters are working well with dining indoors. That's a positive note. Makes it harder to argue against people gathering outside (I know - much larger numbers etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Gawd. Pods, social distancing, masks outside your pod, alcohol free bars. I'm not even starting on the line up. I know it's a family event and all events are welcome etc but give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The same dates that Wild Roots 2021 was supposed to be on and I bet it was because Wild Roots probably had a few licenced bars for the edition.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

'The more transmission, the more likely that it can mutate. I agree we absolutely have to get on with things, and whilst I definitely believe that we need to get on with life, there is no need to not give any thought to COVID anymore'

absolutely spot on, unfortunately i dont think many others understand this or simply want to ignore it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its folly for a country the size of Ireland with 0.1% of the world's population to worry about home grown variants/mutations when the virus continues to spread across the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like All Ireland finals will have 40,000 people 4 and 5 weeks before EP. https://twitter.com/LawlorDamian/status/1421132952264654852?s=19

Great news from post Latitude, BBC report only 20 people in Suffolk have tested positive who attended the event, although probably a lot of young ones not reporting symptoms or whatever, but that still is very encouraging, curious to see how Sheffield's Tramlines festival done, judging by the clips it seemed a lot more messier than Latitude. We'll have a clearer picture by next week if there was more cases.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

50% Capacity (25k) for Ireland Workd Cup Qualifiers at the Aviva on September 5th and 9th which is 2 weeks away from EP. Cant see them allowing 100% capacity in the space of 2 weeks especially as the Aviva and Croker have moved from 5% capacity through to the 50% over a number of events. They might get allowed a 20k or at best 35k capacity.

Well sure, but they've 40,000 sitting in a stadium in 3 weeks time. EP are looking to get less than twice that on to a 500 acre site a full month after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Much like the build up to the line up announcement each year…it’s the hope that kills us

Some more clipeens from Latitude, The Chemical Brothers who might play the Picnic seeing that they were on the 2020 lineup.

Sleaford Mods

Rick Astley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

40'000 all with seats, not moving around too much etc and only there for 3/4 hours max. very different to festivals and people there for a full weekend. contact tracing etc far easier with the stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭endainoz

"Electric picnic" trending on the aul Twitter, ladies and gentlemen, the antivax loonies have spoken!

EP will need Glastonbury style fencing to keep out the unvaccinated and general festival breakinners, maybe they've got better at catching the fence jumpers, I remember it was rife up to about 2011/12, which was the last time I camped in the Hendrix and started camping at the crew area on the Kehoe Road. I have actually seen people break into the crew camp until they realise they're a long way from the arena and that they have to pass and satisfy 20 security with their wristband to get into the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I was skeptical all along that EP could go ahead but with the vaccine numbers and FR allowing only fully vaccinated people in, would think if there was will from government/NPHET to go ahead it could but guess that was the hurdle all along. Will be interesting to see if that live gigs roadmap due out at end of next month has anything for EP but probably too late unfortunately. https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1421390685316558848?s=19

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

They're my favourite people ha, "I'll never go to EP ever again" crew. Also maybe with EP saying that they wont allow anyone not vaccinated to attend there has been a great turn out at the walk in centers around the country for the 16 + age group. Either way its great to see the huge turnout in that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

what the f**k is a "clipeen" ???

Video clip, I just have a silly way of saying it as I am completely crazy, tee hee giggle giggle snurkle snurkle. What does s8n stand for, looks like a sim card number. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Clipeen

clip·​een | \ klip-ēn

Diminutive of clip

Noun

1 A small piece, a small bit, or fragment

Verb

1 A quick, light strike with lateral thrust especially of the hand

So basically in this context it's the noun, so sorter than a clip... but probably longer than a snippet. And sure a snippeteen, you'd hardly catch a glance of that at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Some of my mates are anti-vaccination, some have good reasons and some are just away the fairies, but they are saying to me that if the Picnic happens and I go to it they are accusing me of betraying them. Fcuk off, will ya, all I did was listen to my doctor and I just wanna go to a fecking festival, bring it on!!!

A mate I usually go to EP with hasn't taken the vaccine, he wasn't a "traditional" anti-vaxxer prior to Covid, feeling he will take a jab eventually when more data comes back.

The irony is this c*nt would ingest any chemical given to him over an EP weekend😋😋

"Contract tracing" is nonexistent! Do you really think they will track down people in rows front/behind in Croke Park? What about as they queue to enter and exit the stadium, or get food inside, impossible to track.

300,000 people in ROI as of today have tested positive since the start of the pandemic, so 1 in every 15. I've had the app installed since day 1, haven't gotten a single alert, nor do I know anyone that has. Same with the contract tracing via dept of Health, never been contacted nor has anyone in my extended family or friends. 1:15 suggests everyone should have been contacted multiple times! This isn't happening and a major flaw throughout the past 1.5 years.

People are making comparisons to EP, weddings, matches etc. But I think we need to compare like for like;

Vaccinated admission only;

EP

Pub/restaurants indoor.

No entry restrictions;

Weddings?

Confirmations

Football matches ?

On the upside I got my second shot today so I'll be fully ready for EP (if it goes ahead) 🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Pretty pathetic ye all waiting with baited breath to see if government will allow ye to attend a festival. Ye all did what ye were told and got vaccine but ye were made fools of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Wrong thread, Mushy. You'll get more of a reaction on Twitter buddy. We're all peace and love in here.

Bill Bailey (Latitude 21) who I had the pleasure of seeing coming up on a trip at the Picnic a few years back.

The Selector - Three Minute Hero at Camp Bestival 21 yesterday

Selector - Camp Bestival

• Advertisement

Advertisement