Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

All I heard previously was one FF councillor having a whine. The same guy hadn't even put in a written complaint, presumably as it'd be hugely unpopular with local businesses for one of their council representatives to block an event that gives them several months worth of earnings.

There was an online poll in the local paper but as we know the respondents could be Russian bots. Or perish the thought, Kildare rivals seeking to kibosh it. At best guess the people who always hated EP continue to hate it and many locals will welcome the cash. I think the licence could still be granted given the vaccination rate and then it all lies with central government though these recent quotes from local representatives don't look good, particularly in terms of how little they seem to grasp regarding the festival itself and the HSE progress with innoculation.

"The Electric picnic has only a small part (of it) outdoors."

With this level of research by a local councillor we have no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

There is also an element of "every other event is cancelled so this should also not happen" and other such whataboutery.

Anyway I am now resigned to this not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd be fine with that, we could all pretend it's Oxegen except without the tent burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Pretty unlikely seen as Punchestown is being used as a test and vaccination centre unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Ah it's a pretty big site though, and half ready to do PCR testing on the way in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Didn't you see the clips of Latitude Pablo, Melvin Benn will just use that as an example for his Electric Picnic case, god willing there is no spike of cases in Suffolk or from the fraternity that visited upon Latitude over the last weekend.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Will be interesting to see how many fans get to All Ireland finals about 4 weeks out from EP. Guess issue is having 70k in 1 spot with no social distancing. Guess the digital cert to show either vaccination or negative PCR in advance would have to be part of it but just not sure is there a political will to back it. Another big event that might be worth watching is Ploughing to see what happens there. I just think when decision has to be made government here will be cautious but will have to wait and see!

I believe the ploughing is cancelled though, just competitions going ahead but no big stalls so no crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

It's frustrating to see comparisons to the ploughing championships and other event's, the ploughing wasn't called off on safety reasons, the organisers wanted guarantees (back in May) it could take place end September, that wasn't possible so organisers pulled it themselves, entirely different situation.

Were in a bit of a silly season now, we've scared the sh1te out of people for 1.5 years and now we're asking them to reverse.

As people have said anyone in the area who wasn't fond of the EP in general pre covid, may have an issue with it now, I'm sure not everyone enjoys or benefits from it. I wonder if FR considered sticking planning in with a couple of other venues just as a decoy/back up...

I get it! the local politicians have to vote against it, it will be the people of the area voting or not voting them in next time, not the 70K ep punters. Hopefully have put in some caveat "Happy to let EP proceed on all other aspects, seeking medical advice" or similar just to take the heat off them. But does not look good. Outrage vs facts and data!! "Somebody please think of the children"

Obviously every year the villagers line up and shake hands with each and every one of us on the way in :p , but seriously is there no way to take the village out of the equation completely both during build and for the 70k punters?

(PS: I was in IKEA today and it was just like normal times, hundreds! 5 wide milling their way through the snaking floor plan, albeit with masks on, not pre or post testing, no contract tracing, nothing. Head to the city centre and it looks like most pubs and restaurants haven't opened inside dining, like tiny places normal capacity less than 50, for this negative covid cert needed and contract tracing. Seems pretty inconsistent)

Post edited by Fatfrog on

• Advertisement

Planning decision in laois won't consider Latitude.

If the locals don't want it, it won't happen.

For what it's worth a pal (based in Cambridge) went to Latitude and said it was superb. Best acts - Working Men's Club, Bdrmm and Sons of Kemet. Unfortunately none of which we're likely to see outdoors for a while.

We're in the silly season, We've scared the sh1te out of people for 1.5 years (RTE has, not us) FYP. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Rfrip

its a real shame. We need to get back out there and living.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm fully vaccinated but am still wary of delta mutating and obviously wish for numbers to stay low.

That said, why fully vaccinated adults cannot gather outdoors after 16 months lockdown is beyond.

I appreciate locals' concerns but would wonder if they cannot take whatever precautions they need to, to make them feel safe. If they are shop owners, don't let folk in if that's what they want. Insist on masks if they do want people to enter.

It gives those that want customers the chance to make some money after 16 months of zero trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd love to know what people expect is going to change in the next 12 months to make any events safer than having all attendees vaccinated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea surely the whole point of us getting vaccinated was for us to be able to get back to normality. I'm happy I've gotten my first jab (due the second by next week) but as said already if fully vacinnated people can't go to festivsls/concerts/events/pubs etc without all these limitations then what's the point of the vaccine.

Yea how will going to a gig in September 2022 be safer then in 2021 if we have gotten over 80% fully done. I will say it's great to see that the roll out and uptake has been going brilliantly here in Ireland.

Is a case of "If I can't go to the ploughing, you can't have your fun either"

As we're all good citizens who pay their TV licence fee each year, WE have contributed and funded this 😋😋😋

I'd love to know what people expect is going to change in the next 12 months to make any events safer than having all attendees vaccinated.

Yes this exactly, Delta, Alpha, beta! Will be in the same position this time next year!

• Advertisement

It's a shame to have such a cynical view, but unfortunately you have every chance of being correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

That's my big worry...Where's the endgame in all these if they aren't going to trust the vaccines? There are going to be more transmissible variants down the line. Are we just going to continue with rolling lockdowns?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

In hopeful news, Mr Johnny Marr has announced dates at the end of September, the only available date though would be the Sunday.

There are allegedly 59 sleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Rfrip

That’s exactly it, we are going to be in the same position this time next year

Yeah it just takes some Undeveloped or third world country, to let the virus get out of hand and we're all back to square one again.

Edit: Meant to say Undeveloped Country 😄

Post edited by bodhrandude on

I'd say most developed countries are nearly at an oversupply by now, you'd imagine they'll be given to poorer regions soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I think we've established where the political opposition in Laois is coming from, no elected representative willing to be the one to open their arms to the (in the eyes of their more reactive of constituents) infected hoardes. Fact is there were only 14 objections, in fact only 14 submissions, to the licence application. Every single person eligible to buy a ticket to this will have been offered a vaccine in the next couple of weeks. No medical reason for it not to go ahead with vaccine certs, only optics standing in the way. That will probably still be enough to scupper us though. Do we think it will be more ridiculed to let it happen or to knock it on the head? I think the former. I think they'll bottle it.

Nope, I meant places like India, Indonesia where the virus is on the rampage or was on the rampage.

PS. Sorry I meant Third World Countries or Undeveloped Countries.

• Advertisement

"Infected hoards" 70k of them, would make a good zombie apocalypse spoof.

"Zombies on ket"

Advertisement