Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus rte just now on TV when reporting that the second attempt at the launch today dropped the explosion into the report. Why ? It's not connected at all FFS.

Of course it's connected. Millions of people think that manned space flight is routine & safe. People didn't bother watching Apollo 12 but 13 made people realise how dangerous space fight is. Falcon is fuelled at the last minute & that's potentially dangerous.

It never hurts to have reminders & this one was only yesterday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like Apollo and Soyuz and unlike the Shuttle, SpaceX have escape systems.

On September 26, 1983 a Soyuz blew up on the pad.

Turbopump went rogue and there was a fire. It's generally accepted that sitting on top of 250 tons of rocket propellent may not be the optimum location during a fire.

"The launch control team activated the escape system but the control cables had already burned through, and the Soyuz crew could not activate or control the escape system themselves." :eek:

soyuz-t-10a_launch_a.jpg
    But there was a radio backup for the escape system :)

Their first action after the firing of the escape tower had actually been to switch off their cockpit voice recorder. According to Titov: “We were swearing!”

There's been two other Soyuz escapes on the way up. Most recent was in 2018
    https://www.rt.com/news/441125-russian-launch-escape-system/
    Titov later said he felt "like a puppy being pulled out of a river by a strong hand" at the moment.

That Launch America logo is horrid. Looks like something from 40 Germany or an 80s Verhoeven satire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Discodog wrote: »
    Of course it's connected. Millions of people think that manned space flight is routine & safe.
    It's routine.

No rocket carrying humans has exploded in the last 597 days.

It's routine.

No rocket carrying humans has exploded in the last 597 days.

Wow 2 years out of 60 years of spaceflight. No one involved thinks it's routine even more so when it's a new system.

Must be a lot longer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

Weather conditions at the Cape permitting the launch will be shown live but forget about seeing anything in the skies over Ireland.

Weather or just not coming this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Acosta wrote: »
    Weather or just not coming this way?
    I'm guessing it will still be too bright out.

Don't think the course is changed from Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm guessing it will still be too bright out.

Don't think the course is changed from Wednesday.

Ah ya. Forgot it was earlier. Passing over around 8.35. Pity it isn't an hour later as it looks like it will be nice and clear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

SpaceX will launch the second demonstration mission of its Crew Dragon vehicle as part of NASA's Commercial Crew Transportation Capability Program (CCtCap), carrying two NASA astronauts to the International Space Station. This mission will be the first crewed flight to launch from the United States since the end of the Space Shuttle program in 2011. DM-2 demonstrates the Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon's ability to safely transport crew to the space station and back to Earth and it is the last major milestone for certification of Crew Dragon. NASA has extend the mission duration to allow the astronauts to participate as Expedition 63 crew members. The exact duration of the mission will be determined in orbit based on the readiness of the first operational crew mission.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wow 2 years out of 60 years of spaceflight. No one involved thinks it's routine even more so when it's a new system.

Must be a lot longer than that.

That's why it's taken five years before they have put humans on top of it. That's why every spacecraft the US and russia have had since the early sixties had test flights and checking over and over again before humans flew on them. Yes there have been people killed. The Soyuz rocket family is one of the safest ever(maybe the safest) and that goes back to the start.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That's why it's taken five years before they have put humans on top of it. That's why every spacecraft the US and russia have had since the early sixties had test flights and checking over and over again before humans flew on them. Yes there have been people killed. The Soyuz rocket family is one of the safest ever(maybe the safest) and that goes back to the start.

The Russians have always operated on the principle that simplicity is best. I remember seeing an early capsule, at the Science Museum & joking about the brass handrails.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of course it's connected. Millions of people think that manned space flight is routine & safe. People didn't bother watching Apollo 12 but 13 made people realise how dangerous space fight is. Falcon is fuelled at the last minute & that's potentially dangerous.

It never hurts to have reminders & this one was only yesterday.

Wouldn't agree. Only for the crewed Dragon launch RTE and most other media wouldn't have bothered reporting on the Starliner test. It's only being reported for a bit of sensationalism.

The test article for Starliner is at an extremely early developmental phase. In any field where new technologies are being developed failure is par for the course. It just happens that test failures in rocketry are quite spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Hi, would someone be good enough to break it down for us as regards when and where we should be looking over the next hours please?
    Launch at 8.22pm Irish time.
    Details on when/where to look after lift off.
    Same with regard to second, third pass, if there is one, I dont know?
    And what about the ISS tonight?Tommorrow?
    Finally will we in Ireland get to see the Dragon closing on the ISS or is that due to happen out of our view?
    Would be a great help to have this info in the same place for all the extra amateur observers that are no doubt taking an interest in this.
    Thanks

The Russians have always operated on the principle that simplicity is best. I remember seeing an early capsule, at the Science Museum & joking about the brass handrails.
    The first space flight used an elliptical orbit so if the retros didn't fire atmospheric drag would get it to de-orbit before the supplies ran out.

The Americans took the same approach with Apollo 13 , use the supplies and wait until you come home.

The first space flight used an elliptical orbit so if the retros didn't fire atmospheric drag would get it to de-orbit before the supplies ran out.

The Americans took the same approach with Apollo 13 , use the supplies and wait until you come home.

I loved the Russian approach to how to reach switches during high G - use a stick :pac:

Dragon is very roomy.

Hatch is closed on dragon and there will be a check on the weather at T-1hour before they start loading the fuel. It's raining ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Hi, would someone be good enough to break it down for us as regards when and where we should be looking over the next hours please?
    Launch at 8.22pm Irish time.
    Details on when/where to look after lift off.
    Same with regard to second, third pass, if there is one, I dont know?
    And what about the ISS tonight?Tommorrow?
    Finally will we in Ireland get to see the Dragon closing on the ISS or is that due to happen out of our view?
    Would be a great help to have this info in the same place for all the extra amateur observers that are no doubt taking an interest in this.
    Thanks

It will pass again at 10.15pm. Look towards the moon. If it's clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks like another scrub due to the weather :( Hopefully it clears up in the next 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How many minutes past 8.22pm might it be visible? Also is it correct that it is due south west and what angle on the horizon to look

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How many minutes past 8.22pm might it be visible? Also is it correct that it is due south west and what angle on the horizon to look

It's going to be very hard to see if not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's going to be very hard to see if not impossible.

It will be visible at 10.15pm. Still bright but the low sun shoukd reflect against the radiators which will have extended from the capsule.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Looks like another scrub due to the weather :( Hopefully it clears up in the next 45 minutes.

We will know at 19:22 but it's looking iffy.

Still go.

Just from the pictures of the capsule it looks much more promising weather wise. It got very dark a while back but it's looking better to me. I realise it's not just the weather at the launch pad but compared to how it looked it's improving.

There's some thunderstorms brewing in central Florida. Typical for this time of year in the afternoon. Hope they stay away.

Weather is go at the moment!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Weather is go at the moment!

Cross everything ye can lads. I want it to launch today for the two astronauts because I'd hate for them to have to walk across that access arm twice in there days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The Call is GO :)

45 mins to go

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Call is GO :)

45 mins to go

propellant loading at t-35mins

• Advertisement

Prop is loading

Advertisement