Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yet another bullsh1t micro management attempt that is going to make absolutely zero difference.

I mean think about it. Outside. On a playing field the size of 3 or 4 football pitches for a small group of players. Some people you give them enough time to think about something they come up with problems where there are none. Clowns, the lot of them and I'm getting sick of their sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Carr have made a complete balls of Corballis. Wiped all the bookings, told everyone they were reopening tonight at 6, which they did. The problem is that they didn’t lock down the time slots to only twoballs, so loads of people have booked as a single or a two, and been joined to make a full line of 4 by another pair. I had taken slot 1 and 2 with a friend I don’t live with, and we’ve been joined by another member plus guest. Who gets the slot? Our names were in first as we have slots 1 and 2 but I wouldn’t fancy enforcing that 10 mins before tee time out in the pro-shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Carr have made a complete balls of Corballis. Wiped all the bookings, told everyone they were reopening tonight at 6, which they did. The problem is that they didn’t lock down the time slots to only twoballs, so loads of people have booked as a single or a two, and been joined to make a full line of 4 by another pair. I had taken slot 1 and 2 with a friend I don’t live with, and we’ve been joined by another member plus guest. Who gets the slot? Our names were in first as we have slots 1 and 2 but I wouldn’t fancy enforcing that 10 mins before tee time out in the pro-shop

I have exactly the same issue in Corballis. 3 from 2 houses booked in. Random lad sticks his name down afterwards.
    Do I ring the club? Wait until the day and see what they say? Send him out on his own and tee off 5 mins after him?
    I don't really have a problem with it as I doubt I will be in close contact with him but if everyone just ignores the rules the golf will be closed again.
    The biggest issue I have at the moment are the time slots blocked off for visitors. What am I paying a membership for?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Macker1 wrote: »
    That's a cop out if ever I saw one. The people booked in to play know if there playing with more than the two households so they should have enough common sense to withdraw or re-arrange to a different slot if available.

Its a directive that was sprung on all clubs in the interest of safety.

Not looking to start a argument but it boils my blood when people can't be bothered to follow the directive.

I was booked to play both today and tomorrow but due to the directive I had to pull out. Was I annoyed yes but it was the correct thing to do. Re-booked in a two ball for Wed.

Nearly impossible to police:

Anyone could be apart of another support bubble.

You can form a support bubble with another household if you:

You can have a Support bubble if:
    • are living alone with children under the age of 18
    • live alone
    • share parenting or custody arrangements
    • live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    • live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer

Now figure how to police this. One of my playing partners, I am a part of his support bubble. He lives alone and we play golf on the PS4 and drink together during the lockdown. Handy for me to get out of the house as well.
    Now golf say that your support bubble can play as one household.

See how it gets complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Felexicon wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have at the moment are the time slots blocked off for visitors. What am I paying a membership for?

It's a public course. They exist to make golf accessible to the masses and providing golf to non members is part of that. It's annoying for us but they're right to set aside slots for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I've a golfing widow of a wife :pac: (who has definitely seen less of me this year!), working on the front line, who also contracted the virus back in March, and she even thinks these rules are a bit harsh, and aren't based on any common sense. A lot of her patients would be elderly too, and she sees the value that golf brings these people

We actually think Golfgate back in August, ruined it

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

flanzer wrote: »
    I've a golfing widow of a wife :pac: (who has definitely seen less of me this year!), working on the front line, who also contracted the virus back in March, and she even thinks these rules are a bit harsh, and aren't based on any common sense. A lot of her patients would be elderly too, and she sees the value that golf brings these people

We actually think Golfgate back in August, ruined it

There is definitely a Vendetta against golf by some arsehole somewhere along the line and it's embarrassing, golf is nothing more than a walk in the park with sticks, my club has said they won't be policing it and it's up to you to follow guidelines...I don't think many will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Not a word from our place seems to be business as usual which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not a word from our place seems to be business as usual which is great to see.

Its all good until contact tracing starts seeing a few contacts coming from golf clubs in a manner outside of the restrictions in place, whether or not the disease is spreading in these environments or not.
    Then people will wonder why the simple walk in park with sticks has been shut down again.
    I don't think it's too much to ask for golfers and clubs to at least try follow what's in place....as opposed to wondering why they've been closed again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Stacksey wrote:
    There is definitely a Vendetta against golf by some arsehole somewhere along the line and it's embarrassing, golf is nothing more than a walk in the park with sticks, my club has said they won't be policing it and it's up to you to follow guidelines...I don't think many will

The latest directives came from Golf Ireland. I doubt they have a vendetta going against the game.

Clubs can ignore/defy those directives at their own risk. I don't know what actions will be taken against those in breach but it will be interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Looks like our club are saying it unenforceable and up to the players to stick to the guidelines that only 2 households are playing. At least some sanity is prevailing.

Felexicon wrote: »
    I have exactly the same issue in Corballis. 3 from 2 houses booked in. Random lad sticks his name down afterwards.
    Do I ring the club? Wait until the day and see what they say? Send him out on his own and tee off 5 mins after him?
    I don't really have a problem with it as I doubt I will be in close contact with him but if everyone just ignores the rules the golf will be closed again.

Did you do anything about this? I've the exact same situation. What's annoying me is that I originally had 4 on the line, but told one of my friends sorry, he can't play because of the restrictions. Now some randomer is down with us.

Very shortsighted not to restrict it to two balls and just let people rock up with more if they're from the same household. Or take the additional bookings over the phone if they were worried about two single people each rocking up with two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The simplest way would be to do 3 balls at 8 minutes which is allowed and then ask people to comply

We appear to have stopped all comps

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

This directive has placed an unfair burden on golf clubs and pro shop staff. If they wanted to limit numbers just dictate two balls only.

Theres no mention of two household crap on the tennis Ireland guidelines and they are allowing doubles and single play. So 4 households can play tennis.
    Tennis Ireland are also seeking to re open indoor tennis courts.

I think we have been badly served by our administrators this year. They don't appear to be able to articulate the benefits or safety aspects to sport Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

If you want to play as a 2 ball but more bookings are allowed, can you not just book the last 2 slots as guest or match etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

Snotty wrote: »
    If you want to play as a 2 ball but more bookings are allowed, can you not just book the last 2 slots as guest or match etc?
    That's what I did

Snotty wrote: »

I'll do that next time. I kinda of assumed they'd block it off after booking. Foolish on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The simplest way would be to do 3 balls at 8 minutes which is allowed and then ask people to comply

We appear to have stopped all comps

St Margaret's have set the timesheets up as 2 balls in 8-minute intervals, but if a 3rd or 4th player from the same household wishes to be added to a certain tee time they can do this via contacting the pro shop.
    Nearly all of the slots for the next 5 days are just 2 balls. Any of the full slots I saw have just 2 surnames. Comps on Saturday and Sunday only, 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

St Margaret's have set the timesheets up as 2 balls in 8-minute intervals, but if a 3rd or 4th player from the same household wishes to be added to a certain tee time they can do this via contacting the pro shop.
    Nearly all of the slots for the next 5 days are just 2 balls. Any of the full slots I saw have just 2 surnames. Comps on Saturday and Sunday only, 9 holes.

What a nightmare if your a 2 ball behind a 4 ball

Stacksey wrote: »
    What a nightmare if your a 2 ball behind a 4 ball

And if you start leaving the two balls through you'll add on an hour or two to your round. And to the rounds of the groups you don't get to call through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »
    And if you start leaving the two balls through you'll add on an hour or two to your round. And to the rounds of the groups you don't get to call through.

Thats why I suggested using the 8 mins together with max of 3 balls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

We are doing the exact same and I understand most clubs are.

The issue clubs have is multiple people arriving at a tee box and not wanting to play together because of the rules. How does someone decide and tell the other person sorry.

We’ve got 27 holes so I don’t see any major issues for the next few weeks.

Men’s and Ladies also suspended competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

blue note wrote: »
    I'll do that next time. I kinda of assumed they'd block it off after booking. Foolish on my part.

Given the mad cap dash to book the slots when they opened at 6pm, I set my search to 2 ball, as I was worried that if I selected 4 I wouldn’t have gotten anything if Chronogolf was set up properly for pairs only. When I saw what was happening I tried to book a full 4 on a later date but I couldn’t get one.

I emailed the club but that’s always a pointless endeavour, I’ll call them in the morning. If it can be sorted out I’m looking forward to it as a 2 ball early doors we should fly around

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Men’s and Ladies also suspended competitions.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Seve OB wrote: »
    Why?

I don’t know why personally but I’m guessing a overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I thought the guidance was two balls at 8 minutes and all others at had to be 9 or 10. How are they managing two separate intervals in one comp ?

This below is from Golf Ireland

The guidance issued by Golf Ireland on 27 November 2020 continues to apply to all golf clubs

Daily timesheets are restricted to a minimum of 8, 9 or 10 minute intervals. Clubs may only choose one interval for each day. If clubs choose 8+ minute intervals, play is restricted to 2 golfers per start time. If clubs choose 9+ minutes, up to 3 golfers may play per start time. If clubs choose 10+ minutes, up to 4 golfers may play per start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Had booked a game in North county Dublin for tomorrow on teetimes, just got a call cancelling it saying members only. Time sheet looks crazy in my own club, every line seems to have guests...

I'm guessing its ghost guests to fill the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

One of my clubs is closed due to flooding and the other is carrying on as if there are no restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cgq300

Are we still allowed to leave the county to play golf provided we are going to a club you are a member of? Can't find anything on this. And before anyone jumps in club is only 20 mins away but in another county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cgq300 wrote: »
    Are we still allowed to leave the county to play golf provided we are going to a club you are a member of? Can't find anything on this. And before anyone jumps in club is only 20 mins away but in another county.

i haven't seen anything to contradict this.
    i will be continuing to play in my own club

Advertisement