Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Blanket ban for visitors only or including members?
    If you are not including members then its a bit of a large hole in your net.

Visitors only. I agree it leaves a large hole in the net having members, but there needs to be a balance. Shutting clubs completely should be a last resort.

Has there been any outbreaks in golf clubs, haven't heard of any....I'd expect there has, but it's mainly GAA clubs from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Based on what has come out pro shops and club offices should close very hard for clubs to run golf on a daily basis over the next 6 weeks

Statement from the GUi tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Whatever about me there are a lot of senior retired lads or lassies who's other half gone to their eternal reward who get out once a week on a Tuesday morning. Depriving them of a few hours of a release would be a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Whatever about me there are a lot of senior retired lads or lassies who's other half gone to their eternal reward who get out once a week on a Tuesday morning. Depriving them of a few hours of a release would be a crime.

5km travel limit will keep most away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    4 lads going out in a fourball is great for those four lads. And I'm not dismissing it's importance in any way. On top of that very low risk.

Allowing all levels of gaa teams to play once these new restrictions come in would me mental in fairness. But the championship returning will be huge in a lot of people's lives. You're not balancing the benefit for the thirty players versus the risk, you're balancing the benefit to the hundreds of thousands that will enjoy watching it. For the finals and possibly semi finals it could be over a million. For some fans it will be something to put on in the background, others will watch all the matches and record them to rewatch them.

But the fact that it will be a pain in the ass for some to miss their GAA doesnt or at least shouldnt IMO come into it.
    If isolation is whats required then its what is required, we are back in this mess because clearly some people cant follow simple rules, bad based on the stories in the papers quite a few of those people have ties to the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Id expect them to close like the first time around.

Ridiculous really.

Ill have 4 kids in a classes of lets say 25 pupils each, ill go to work with approx 40 other people so in total thats approx 140 chances excluding whio they come into contact with but the real danger to me is three blokes i dont need to get within an arses roar of in a field.

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Ryan just said golf course’s closed....disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

All golf courses to close according to Eamonn Ryan just now

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

And playgrounds stay open? FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Are yous sure? I thought elitist sports were safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd love to be able to hit a green with a 5 iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

I read on rte that school age kids can train non contact in pods of 15 , got the impression they are the only ones allowed to do sport ( apart from elite) The rest is individual training
    Can't see golf allowed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tescosfinest

antgal23 wrote: »
    I read on rte that school age kids can train non contact in pods of 15 , got the impression they are the only ones allowed to do sport ( apart from elite) The rest is individual training
    Can't see golf allowed tbh

What does elite mean? I would have thought professional athletes, how do GAA players fit this description? Im disgusted the golf courses are closing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

PARlance wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to hit a green with a 5 iron.

Love it, but I do find it more plessurable to hit a green with a driver.

Love it, but I do find it more plessurable to hit a green with a driver.

We wouldn't be allowed to drive anything if that fruitcake got his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭token56

https://twitter.com/stephendaly1/status/1318304071414153216?s=24

Of all sports surely golf has the best balance in terms of being safe and it being an outlet for an already greatly impacted age group. Is there any statistics or numbers at the moment to show how many cases have come directly from people playing golf together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As a secind level teacher this really bugs me.

I will spend 21 hours per week in a classroom that measures 9x7m. 15 -24 year olds are by far the biggest demographic that is catching covid. About 100 of my students fall into this category
    I have an average of 22 students per lesson.
    The school itself had 800 sttudents and over 70 staff.
    I am happy to keep on working but....
    One game per week, with the same 3 others, two of whom i work with, but no, not allowed.

I might ask the school caretaker to cut a few greens on the playing pitches :)

There's a good chance the bumbling eejit misspoke....

Isn't there.....

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Isn't there.....

Please.

I was thinking the same. He is more than capable of making a balls of it.

Why would you close them? It makes zero sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was thinking the same. He is more than capable of making a balls of it.

Why would you close them? It makes zero sense.
    I've seen contradictory statements on golf. One from an FF councillor (yeah, I know), but I'd wait until the GUI say something before getting too excited. Not looking good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I've seen contradictory statements on golf. One from an FF councillor (yeah, I know), but I'd wait until the GUI say something before getting too excited. Not looking good though.

The fact that the GUI are making a statement at all means that it will be a decision of the GUI to either recommend that golf clubs close, or not, as the case may be.
    It will then be up to each club to accept the GUI recommendations, or not.
    I can see no legal way that golf clubs can be forced to close if they choose not to.
    Unless there is new legislation passed, each club can make its own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The fact that the GUI are making a statement at all means that it will be a decision of the GUI to either recommend that golf clubs close, or not, as the case may be.
    I can see no legal way that golf clubs can be forced to close if they choose not to.
    If the governing body say you close, you close. Can't continue in the sport if you're expelled from the governing body for breach of rules.

However, this is the list I was talking about earlier that says golf stays open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't buy this. It would be pure madness for any club/GUI to go against the government. Will catch up with them in the end. Likes of golfgate a big factor.

Anyway - during last lockdown the road to our club was closed as a practical example .

If government says no golf - there will be no golf. All clubs get tax relief etc and are frequented by people within high enough profile jobs and state work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Don't buy this. It would be pure madness for any club/GUI to go against the government. Will catch up with them in the end. Likes of golfgate a big factor.

Anyway - during last lockdown the road to our club was closed as a practical example .

If government says no golf - there will be no golf. All clubs get tax relief etc and are frequented by people within high enough profile jobs and state work.

I agree. It's akin to a hairdressers saying they're staying open when told they're not. The GUI will do as they're told, I just hope they don't take it upon themselves to act the martyr.

Isn't there.....

Please.

Certainly a chance:

https://twitter.com/JohnKennyMedia/status/1318329498761383938?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Anyone who thinks there’s the remotest possibility of the GUI going against government advice is off their head. Could you imagine the PR fallout not to mention how the sport would suffer when it comes to funding and stuff.

This is a pain in the bollox and I don’t think there is much risk associated with golf but so be it. Government in a ****ty spot to be fair.

That information published was told to be ignored by the GUI and that they would issue a statement today.

It doesn't look good :rolleyes:

The GUI won't be issuing a statement to advise Clubs to ignore Government advice.

The GUI were most likely caught on the hop by Ryan's comments and are almost certainly buying some time to get it clarified. I hold out plenty of hope that Ryan made a mess of his answer to the journalist. I think the GUI would have been consulted in advance if all golf was to cease at L5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

The bigger issue here is renewing memberships. Clubs will have to think long and hard to get people to sign back up. Charging 100% rate for 70-80% usage is crazy tbh. All other clubs are pausing memberships too, why are golf clubs different?

Advertisement