Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mafia Trilogy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finally got some quality time with this. I really miss the voices and looks of Paulie and Sam from the original. I haven't warmed to the new cast yet, especially Paulie. Also, I'm getting a lot of clipping and pop in. Like I'm driving in the country and the grass textures are loading beside me as i drive, bit off putting, playing on a ps4 pro.

Other than that, I'm loving it. Nails the feel of the first and great to play an actual Mafia game again.

I had to take this video when it happened and call it a night, gas stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Picked up the trilogy today, never played any before. Absolute loving it, fantastic atmosphere, great story and fun & varied gameplay. Got through past mission 6 but had to stop, want to pace myself so not to complete it too quick!

This feels like the game that la noire should have been, which had the atmosphere part down to a tee, but the detective angle became way too dull and repetitive v quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Picked one up for 30 quid on Adverts earlier on. Was hoping to get one 2nd hand but didn't think this soon.

Played about an hour or so of it tonight. Don't know if it's fair for me to say this but for a 2020 game it feels like something that came out back on PS3.

I'll probably move it on after the weekend if I'm finished it by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have Mafia 2 and 3 in my account but they are the definitive editions, is this different to the remastered editions?

Skerries wrote: »
    I have Mafia 2 and 3 in my account but they are the definitive editions, is this different to the remastered editions?

Nope, they will show as definitive editions for each of them if they are the remastered versions. 1 = full remake, 2 = upscaled, 3 = upscaled. All DLC included.

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Finally got some quality time with this. I really miss the voices and looks of Paulie and Sam from the original. I haven't warmed to the new cast yet, especially Paulie. Also, I'm getting a lot of clipping and pop in. Like I'm driving in the country and the grass textures are loading beside me as i drive, bit off putting, playing on a ps4 pro.

Other than that, I'm loving it. Nails the feel of the first and great to play an actual Mafia game again.

I had to take this video when it happened and call it a night, gas stuff.

More technical issues form 2k & Hanger 13
    Not suprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Played about an hour or so of it tonight. Don't know if it's fair for me to say this but for a 2020 game it feels like something that came out back on PS3.

i think thats why i am enjoying it so much, its not 80% filler, I get on for an hour or two play a few levels and the wonderful story progresses.

The shooting can be a tad off but nothing too major.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished it tonight, great game, much prefer it to 2.

• Finished it tonight, great game, much prefer it to 2.

I'm really enjoying the linearity of it. Doesn't overstay it's welcome either.
    No padding which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 BigGpu380

Think mafia 1 is my favorite out of the 3. The other 2 are good, but something about the first one that really sticks with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

I tried to explain how good this game was back in the day but nobody believed me, now the same friends send me links to the gameplay asking if I've seen this new game... Facepalm. Looks as good as I remembered too which is rare these days

Loved the extended bits on the ending, hated that they didn't have the Lordz of Brooklyn tune playing over the credits. Even though it seemed out of place, i loved it, straight onto Napster to download it, about an hour to download a 3mb song, good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Playing Mafia 3 right now finished 1 and 2. Its not as much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Playing mafia remake now . Love it . Don’t think I played it back on the day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Cordell

Perhaps the game is a bit too linear though. The graphics are stunning so it seems like a waste of a beautiful open world
    Well, it's still a 2002 game at its core, that was a time when games were linear and open world was not a thing :)

It's also a remake coming out on the tail end of a current gen console that can add anything it wants .

Theres open-world stuff in Free ride.

Thought 1 was great, finished it in a week, excellent tight story with fun n varied missions.

Put on 2 tonight, felt like a huge step back. Controls are rotten, animations are janky, and it all seems off somehow. Is it worth sticking with it? Story does have something to it to make me want to give it a little more time, though it's definitely cheesier than 1's story.

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Thought 1 was great, finished it in a week, excellent tight story with fun n varied missions.

Put on 2 tonight, felt like a huge step back. Controls are rotten, animations are janky, and it all seems off somehow. Is it worth sticking with it? Story does have something to it to make me want to give it a little more time, though it's definitely cheesier than 1's story.

I got used to the jank. It has a great story with great characters well worth the playthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Playing Mafia 3 right now finished 1 and 2. Its not as much fun.
    I found 3 to be a drag. Cracking tunes on the radio though.

• Advertisement

Beyond collectibles, I mean. Maybe a clothes store, bars and restaurants you can eat in, some activities etc. It doesn't have to be too much but I felt like Mafia II got the linearity and openness balance right. A lot of the time in the remake the game outright yells at you for moving outside the mission vicinity.

I do like the variety of the missions and I'm interested to find out what happens next. It's just this is one of the most impressive open world games I've seen this gen and I often stop to look around. Just feel like it's wasted somehwat.

You can change clothes upstairs in Salieri's bar. There's missions that unlock more clothes and there's hidden cars hidden around the map but its all in Free Ride mode.

The world is open only in the sense that you can drive anywhere, but it's also empty, all the buildings are just shells, they don't have an interior except those featured in the main campaign. Maybe someday we'll have an open world, open ended sandbox Mafia game, where you can be friendly, enemy or neutral with other groups, mobs or crime families, that will be a proper open world game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cordell wrote: »
    The world is open only in the sense that you can drive anywhere, but it's also empty, all the buildings are just shells, they don't have an interior except those featured in the main campaign. Maybe someday we'll have an open world, open ended sandbox Mafia game, where you can be friendly, enemy or neutral with other groups, mobs or crime families, that will be a proper open world game.

Aren’t you pretty much describing the Godfather game there? Really good in its day but I’m not sure if it still holds up.

Could be, I never played that one. Well, maybe it's time for a new one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I liked it to the end. What I had was was pair of sony in ear headphones. I reccomend something similar as your nearly ''there'' for the amazing historical musical switch from The Andrews Sisters to Blues.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I liked it to the end. What I had was was pair of sony in ear headphones. I reccomend something similar as your nearly ''there'' for the amazing historical musical switch from The Andrews Sisters to Blues.

Stuck with M2 and delighted I did. I stand by my comments on the controls, but got used to them after a few more missions. Both the story and mission variety are excellent, and agree the music is outstanding, especially when the early rock n roll type stuff era starts.

So just a few missions from the end now, is the DLC any good?

• Advertisement

Stuck with M2 and delighted I did. I stand by my comments on the controls, but got used to them after a few more missions. Both the story and mission variety are excellent, and agree the music is outstanding, especially when the early rock n roll type stuff era starts.

So just a few missions from the end now, is the DLC any good?

Joe's Adventure definitely worth playing as it bridges a gap in the main story. The other is fun of you're still looking for mafia action at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Finished the first one tonight, loved the story

Gonna get cracking on the second one now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭brady12

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Finished the first one tonight, loved the story

Gonna get cracking on the second one now,

About to finish first one . Once I got past the clunky controls I loved it . Great story and setting . First time playing any mafia game . Would you recommend second one ? Is it a good remaster ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

brady12 wrote: »
    About to finish first one . Once I got past the clunky controls I loved it . Great story and setting . First time playing any mafia game . Would you recommend second one ? Is it a good remaster ?

I found it fierce janky in places, it has not aged well, I was down the docks doing a mission late on in the game and my car kept appearing on the stairs out of the warehouse blocking my access out of it, weird stuff like that would happen but the story is great and seeing as you've played the first you may as well continue on with the second.

brady12 wrote: »

I'm up to chapter 10 on the second one, enjoying it so far

Finding the controls and shooting etc easier than the first and less clunky tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm up to chapter 10 on the second one, enjoying it so far

Finding the controls and shooting etc easier than the first and less clunky tbh

And you also get to carry more guns too.

And you also get to carry more guns too.

DLC extras are supposed to be quite good in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Currently playing through the second game now myself and agree with those above who have said they rather the controls of the second game.

Animations are obviously quite dated, but as for the actual controls themselves, I find them far more responsive, with the shooting mechanics putting the remake of the first game to shame IMO. Mafia 1 felt overly floaty both in terms of general movement and shooting. I get that they were going for a weighty/realistic feel, but even just walking, or trying to aim a gun left me feeling like I was wading through mud at times.

I still really enjoyed the remake that being said, but just felt it controlled horribly.

up as far as the mission that links 2 back to 1,

superb stuff

Finished the 2 Jimmy DLCs and started on Joe's adventures now, seems better than the other 2 so far

Getting good value out of the trilogy tbf and still have 3 and it's DLC to play

And finished Mafia 3 now,

Not a bad game imo, just a bit repetitive

Got nearly 2 months entertainment out of the trilogy though so money we'll spent

The music in Mafia 3 is excellent.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The music in Mafia 3 is excellent.

yep added the playlist to my spotify library haha

yep added the playlist to my spotify library haha

BTW, were you Born on the Bayou? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Picked this up in Smyth's for €35. Looking forward to playing the original and the DLC for Mafia II. Maybe I'll give the third one another go, eventually...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Started playing Mafia 1 yesterday on Classic. Managed after about an hour of retries to win the infamous race. At the start thought I would never beat it but eventually was getting 3rd or 2nd close to the end. Couldn't tell you how many times I restarted, if I badly spun out, particularly near the start I would just reload.

It was such an adrenaline rush I was wrecked after it. Literally haven't been that much on edge playing a game since Dark Souls.

Bloody hard stuff, rest of the game should be a breeze! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Started playing Mafia 1 yesterday on Classic. Managed after about an hour of retries to win the infamous race. At the start thought I would never beat it but eventually was getting 3rd or 2nd close to the end. Couldn't tell you how many times I restarted, if I badly spun out, particularly near the start I would just reload.

It was such an adrenaline rush I was wrecked after it. Literally haven't been that much on edge playing a game since Dark Souls.

Bloody hard stuff, rest of the game should be a breeze! :-)

Can’t remember what button it is, I think maybe X. The button to nudge your car into others, use that as you’re turning, it makes that mission 10x easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Can’t remember what button it is, I think maybe X. The button to nudge your car into others, use that as you’re turning, it makes that mission 10x easier!

Yeah, that's the one. Only found that out by reading threads after I beat it. :rolleyes:

Another tips for people is that some have used the speed limiter to slow down into bends.

Advertisement