Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia Trilogy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The game isn't supposed to go live until the announcement trailer today at 5pm our time. Aus psn store pulled the game.

Nuts to that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This video looks way better than the twitch stream I was watching last night, no glitches, just the regular jank of last gen.

Pity it just looks like a slight upscaling but I still think I'm gonna get it. Mafia 3 has left an awful taste in my mouth and I'm mad to play this again. Joe's Adventure DLC was great as well from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

This video looks way better than the twitch stream I was watching last night, no glitches, just the regular jank of last gen.

Pity it just looks like a slight upscaling but I still think I'm gonna get it. Mafia 3 has left an awful taste in my mouth and I'm mad to play this again. Joe's Adventure DLC was great as well from what I can remember.

That saving logo :eek:

laneooo wrote: »
    That saving logo :eek:

Yeah, he said the day one patch was downloading during this gameplay, hope that gets fixed, ffs.

Notable comment from the streamer.
    As I was streaming I had to turn the HDR off, but it looks like just updated textures. You can tell the character models are dated, but surfaces etc look nice. It's definitely just a coat of paint, but still a great game.

I imagine most of the work is going into the full remake of the original game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm seeing a lot of cynicism and pessimism from other forums about this, namely Mafia 2.

People are giving out that d3t Ltd. are responsible for the remaster, because apparently they butchered the Shenmue Remasters.... how much of that is nitpicky, I don't know. But I only know d3t for one thing, and it's the Sega Mega Drive Classics Collection on XB1/PS4/Switch/Steam, which somehow managed to be the worst SEGA Classic compilation I've ever played. on

KNOWING ME I'll probably still buy the thing, I have money set aside for it. It'll probably be fine. I liked Mafia 2 on 360, and I loved it on PC, this won't be any different, I reckon........hopefully..........

Any information on pricing for consoles and PC yet?
    Better hope this is 60fps on consoles.

Any information on pricing for consoles and PC yet?
    Better hope this is 60fps on consoles.

From videos I've seen, it's locked at 30fps.

I think the price is roughly €30 for each game and €60 for the bundle.

Notable comment from the streamer.

I dunno, I'd like to hear your guys opinion if you do get it today, by the looks of it I'll only be getting one...not sure yet, doesn't seem to be 60FPS either which is a pain which I think they could do hardware wise with x and pro at 4k.

I dunno, I'd like to hear your guys opinion if you do get it today, by the looks of it I'll only be getting one...not sure yet, doesn't seem to be 60FPS either which is a pain which I think they could do hardware wise with x and pro at 4k.

With Mafia 2 it really should be possible to do 60fps AT LEAST on X/Pro.

Sometimes I think I know the ins and outs on why games can't hit 60fps on certain systems, then when I see games like Shadow of the Colossus become 60fps-compatible on PS4 Pro, and the Witcher 3 be available at 60fps on Xbox One X, it just ends up confusing me as to why some remasters can't get a bump.

Is it a genuine technical difficulty depending on the game's code? Or is it just laziness? I want to believe the former...............

Things like this are never a deal-breaker to me, I just want to make that clear. I grew up playing a PS2 which was terrible for maintaining a stable 30fps on most games. (GTA 3 was a slog when there was a lot of carnage on screen), so it doesn't bother me.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think I know the ins and outs on why games can't hit 60fps on certain systems, then when I see games like Shadow of the Colossus become 60fps-compatible on PS4 Pro, and the Witcher 3 be available at 60fps on Xbox One X, it just ends up confusing me as to why some remasters can't get a bump.

Is it a genuine technical difficulty depending on the game's code? Or is it just laziness? I want to believe the former...............

Things like this are never a deal-breaker to me, I just want to make that clear. I grew up playing a PS2 which was terrible for maintaining a stable 30fps on most games. (GTA 3 was a slog when there was a lot of carnage on screen), so it doesn't bother me.

Ohh I understand fps isn't a deal breaker either for me, I'm just trying to justify paying 30 euro or whatever it's going to be for it and I'm finding it hard. You're right it should be 60fps.

Ohh I understand fps isn't a deal breaker either for me, I'm just trying to justify paying 30 euro or whatever it's going to be for it and I'm finding it hard. Your right it should be 60fps.

Now, if they were to release this "definitive edition" of Mafia 2 on PC and give it to owners of the original version for free (à la Bioshock and Skyrim) then I'd go for that version if the possibility is there.

Then again, if the videos are anything to go buy, I'd say those who have the original version of Mafia 2 already have the definitive edition and then some as that runs at a full resolution and runs at 60fps. As far as I'm aware this new version doesn't run in 4K on the newer systems (according to someone who streamed it) but I could be wrong - and maybe it's in a patch.

This could all well be a simple port, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS2 was actually pretty great at maintaining 60 FPS. Most games hit 60 fps with the 30 FPS games being very stable. There's outliers like GTA which were pushing the system too hard but the PS2 had very efficient VRAM. at 480i/480p it had more memory per pixel than the 360 and PS3 which is why they had to drop to 30 FPS.

As for why you can't bump the framerate up to 60 FPS, if the game is badly coded then it can be a big problem. Sometimes the game world and logic is coded to update every 30 FPS and it can lead to physics, animations and other messiness being off. A good example is Dark Souls on the PC, when that had a fan patch to bring it to 60 fps is halved the durability for weapons as weapon wear was calculated on every frame.

I imagine Mafia 2 not being a great game and the developer being pushed that it wasn't well coded and will have a lot of system tied to 30 FPS. If it is then it can be a lot of work to diving into the code and that work probably isn't covered by the budget for this remaster.

From videos I've seen, it's locked at 30fps.

I think the price is roughly €30 for each game and €60 for the bundle.

I find that unacceptable tbh

For arguments sake the recent Bioshock Remasters actually lifted the 30fps limit on models. All animations happen at 60fps

Also Mafia 2 is already backwards compatible on the Xbox One / X. It already runs at 1080p 30fps.

I'd say all the resources went into the 1 remake so they cheaped out with the 2 remaster outsourcing to do the minimum. If so, i hope Mafia 1 remake has a lot of love put into it. The 60 price tag on the bundle is strange, means you get one of the games for free and the remake would be 30ish as well, seems a bit off.

I find that unacceptable tbh

For arguments sake the recent Bioshock Remasters actually lifted the 30fps limit on models. All animations happen at 60fps

Also Mafia 2 is already backwards compatible on the Xbox One / X. It already runs at 1080p 30fps.

Exactly, the more I see the more I'm thinking that Mafia 2 isn't worth it. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was 4K...if it isn't 4K and isn't 60FPS either and only has a lil reskin and that's it, then this is a definite no for me as I already own it, if you don't already own it then that a different story

Exactly, the more I see the more I'm thinking that Mafia 2 isn't worth it. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was 4K...if it isn't 4K and isn't 60FPS either and only has a lil reskin and that's it, then this is a definite no for me as I already own it, if you don't already own it then that a different story

I suppose if you enjoy chasing achievements then it's a handy incentive to start a new game. Probably one of two reasons I'm buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just hope they will do some proper work on it. Like some increased traffic, more pedestrians, better visuals and lightning etc. If they just going to make it 4k and maybe higher res textures, then its wasted opportunity and if you have Mafia 2 on pc, then might as well not bother.

Yeah, I think PC players can get these cheaper and have mods to make the look better. I had started a Mafia 2 playthrough on PS Now when I had a free trial, itching to play again so it's a buy for me. Doubt it would even go on sale anytime soon because the trilogy seems to be a good deal as is.

What do you guys think of this?

https://wccftech.com/original-mafia-director-mafia-remake/

he maybe sounds a bit bitter...I just hope they don't change it too much. Even Tommy's voice change is already sitting unwell with me lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He has always had beef with them following up the original mafia. He was annoyed when they announced mafia 2 as they gave it to another studio and never asked him about it and he was pretty annoyed they followed up the first mafia with such a poor game.

The original was his baby and the publisher took it away from him and his studio.

Yeah, bitter bollox and rightfully so. I never knew he went on to create Kingdom Come.

Hopefully the reveal today will have some Mafia 1 Remake gameplay to see how it's looking.

Mafia 2 is not a poor game however

The poor effort gone into the "remaster" I can agree with.

Yeah, bitter bollox and rightfully so. I never knew he went on to create Kingdom Come.

Hopefully the reveal today will have some Mafia 1 Remake gameplay to see how it's looking.

In fairness they treated him like ****e. And mafia 2 is a bad follow up to a ground breaking game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In fairness they treated him like ****e. And mafia 2 is a bad follow up to a ground breaking game.

Hence the "and rightfuly so". Being a bitter bollox isn't a negative thing, completely normal in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He has always had beef with them following up the original mafia. He was annoyed when they announced mafia 2 as they gave it to another studio and never asked him about it and he was pretty annoyed they followed up the first mafia with such a poor game.

The original was his baby and the publisher took it away from him and his studio.

I think there were other issues. It was the same Czech team that worked on Mafia 2 as 1. Trying to meet deadlines at the behest of third partys I think drove them under.

Does anyone remember the first trailer for Mafia 2? The man in the restaurant eating a steak while asking for thoughts on 'the human animal'? That was cut later. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd say all the resources went into the 1 remake so they cheaped out with the 2 remaster outsourcing to do the minimum. If so, i hope Mafia 1 remake has a lot of love put into it. The 60 price tag on the bundle is strange, means you get one of the games for free and the remake would be 30ish as well, seems a bit off.

I'd be weary, this is 2k were talking about after all.

I'd be weary, this is 2k were talking about after all.

2K make EA look like saints imo.

2K make EA look like saints imo.

I wouldn't go that far now at all , there as bad as each other :p.

• Advertisement
Advertisement