Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

All the usual anonymous accounts set up on Twitter in the last couple of months defending this rascist piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What a waste of time. For everyone.

What was Wright expecting? A custodial sentence for an 18 year kid for shooting his mouth on Instagram?

The dude was very rude.... and certainly very bold.... but I doubt Wright was up all night scared for his life or anything. Granted that the kid was very racist, but come on, sticks and stones might break my bones?

And yes I read the messages..... how utterly shocking ..... and disgusting.

But I am sure Wright heard it all before. Shame on him, wishing prison on an immature kid for shooting his mouth off.

"shooting his mouth off",with hardly a rap on the knuckles for the racist clown is it any wonder racism exists in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not condoning the comments for one nano second

These comments apparently happened because this guy was losing at a computer game and Ian Wright was one of his team in the game

So absolutely stupid carry on but quite specific circumstances

He didn’t “spontaneously” send those messages to Wright. From what we know of the case He doesn’t appear to be a foaming at the mouth racist.

He sent them in the context of an “over the top” reaction at a computer game.

Childish and naive. And stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What was Wright expecting? A custodial sentence for an 18 year kid for shooting his mouth on Instagram?

The dude was very rude.... and certainly very bold.... but I doubt Wright was up all night scared for his life or anything. Granted that the kid was very racist, but come on, sticks and stones might break my bones?

But I am sure Wright heard it all before. Shame on him, wishing prison on an immature kid for shooting his mouth off.

You're as much a part of the problem as the guy hurling the racist abuse, saying the black guy should just suck it up because he's been racially abused before. Shame on you, not shame on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

What do the permanently offended on here want - a year or two in clink for an 18 year old kid that sent racist tweets. A clown but he's hardly a menace to society!
    Here's a fella in court yesterday who sexually assaulted two women in a pub, he got a e100 fine!
    https://m.independent.ie/news/groper-who-sexually-assaulted-two-women-in-a-dublin-pub-walks-free-from-court-after-making-100-charity-donation-40047931.html
    A GROPER who sexually assaulted two women in a Dublin bar has walked free from court with no criminal record, after making a €100 charity donation.

• Advertisement

Not condoning the comments for one nano second

These comments apparently happened because this guy was losing at a computer game and Ian Wright was one of his team in the game

So absolutely stupid carry on but quite specific circumstances

He didn’t “spontaneously” send those messages to Wright. From what we know of the case He doesn’t appear to be a foaming at the mouth racist.

He sent them in the context of an “over the top” reaction at a computer game.

Childish and naive. And stupid.

And rascist.

enricoh wrote: »
    What do the permanently offended on here want - a year or two in clink for an 18 year old kid that sent racist tweets. A clown but he's hardly a menace to society!
    Here's a fella in court yesterday who sexually assaulted two women in a pub, he got a e100 fine!
    https://m.independent.ie/news/groper-who-sexually-assaulted-two-women-in-a-dublin-pub-walks-free-from-court-after-making-100-charity-donation-40047931.html
    A GROPER who sexually assaulted two women in a Dublin bar has walked free from court with no criminal record, after making a €100 charity donation.

Whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

dan1895 wrote: »
    And rascist.

Yes. You’d wonder did he realise that the Ian Wright he was firing abuse at was a real life person and not some pixels On a screen in the game he was losing at

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya by the sounds of it you sound real disgusted by it :rolleyes:, Shame on Ian Wright? really? shame on you for defending this racist scum.

didn't really deserve to have his life affected by a conviction for that imo especially given his age

he was not some toerag with 40 convictions already so the impact of one here is significant

correct decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

dan1895 wrote: »
    Whataboutery

What sentence should he have got for his tweets so?
    Would you rate an 18 year old sending racist tweets as being more serious/ less serious than a 32 year old sexually assaulting two women on a night out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So did Wright ever apologise for making fun of Roy Keane's Irish accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ian Wright doesn't deserve racist abuse, but he is an over the top clown, it would be all OK to critisise him for that, but as I always say in these cases, would the idiot who racially abused him say it in Brixton or Kingston? Obviously wouldn't, coz it would be the last insult of his sad life. I worked with a black dude who was the laziest man in the world, but plenty of others would be contending for that title. My issue was his absolute refusal to make any effort, if there was work on BBC he would be watching ITV. Racism is a huge problem, but at least is is being talked about, and a huge percentage of people are just living their lives, but we only hear bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes. You’d wonder did he realise that the Ian Wright he was firing abuse at was a real life person and not some pixels On a screen in the game he was losing at

Of course he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

sabat wrote: »

So did Wright ever apologise for making fun of Roy Keane's Irish accent?

God this nonsense.

It's a bit of craic FFS. You do know Keane and Wright are good mates outside of the studio right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I have no thoughts on the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

That child is a nasty piece of work who knew what he was doing. And I'm not surprised at the sentence either. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

milehip wrote: »
    Did people honestly think he deserved a custodial sentence for this? The amount of violent criminals that walk free with dozens of offences and
    is that this guys 1st offence?

Fine, community service, sensitivity training- go nuts,

but banged up? get real

Edit: not defending the guy or his action but there seems to be a serious lack of perspective here.

yeah I dont think he should get prison at 18 for this to be honest.he is a little immature $hit but he might turn his life around and learn from it. look at the case below, the scumbag who was in authority of someone only got a written warning from his employers. I think prison was warranted here however.

https://www.independent.ie/news/nigerian-man-who-was-told-he-looks-like-a-chimpanzee-by-team-leader-loses-race-discrimination-case-against-employer-39755990.html

Would you rate an 18 year old sending racist tweets as being more serious/ less serious than a 32 year old sexually assaulting two women on a night out?

The two things are completely unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you think the sexual assault ruling was correct?

You must do if you're using it to measure other cases against.

If you don't, why would you even bring it up?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

Correct decision. No point running a lad's life over something stupid. We were all young once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A bit too lenient imo. Maybe not a custodial sentence, but at the very least should have got Community Service or whatever the equivalent of that is here. The only reason I'm saying that now (having previously said he'd probably have the book thrown at him) is that I honestly think anything more than a month in the JDC would probably turn him into an even bigger scumbag, going by what the young fellas I'd arrested over the years have told me. His family seemed to have suffered the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A 500 euro donation from the racist and a letter of apology he probably got his parents to word for him.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a court trial.
    Wrighty has every right to be vexed over it.
    Poor old garlic man got jail for wrong paperwork and a lowlife racist gets nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

This Ian Wright character strikes me as a very unforgiving type. He claims to have suffered racist abuse non-stop all his life. Even if that's true, which I doubt, he cannot put all the blame on one young adult who made a fool of himself on social media over a relatively brief period of time, and put his hands up and acknowledged he was in the wrong - as the court system has, quite properly, taken allowance of, along with the youth of the perpetrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Strong incel energy in this thread.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    yeah I dont think he should get prison at 18 for this to be honest.he is a little immature $hit but he might turn his life around and learn from it. look at the case below, the scumbag who was in authority of someone only got a written warning from his employers. I think prison was warranted here however.

https://www.independent.ie/news/nigerian-man-who-was-told-he-looks-like-a-chimpanzee-by-team-leader-loses-race-discrimination-case-against-employer-39755990.html

He’ll learn nothing now that he’s been shown it’s acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

magma69 wrote: »
    Strong incel energy in this thread.

You said it playa! nothing but a bunch of edgy-small- dick-cis-genderd-hetro-normative-right-wing-MAGA- hat-wearing-Quanons in here.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oTObCKSkaBs

John Cooper Clark has some good insight on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

tdf7187 wrote: »
    This Ian Wright character strikes me as a very unforgiving type. He claims to have suffered racist abuse non-stop all his life. Even if that's true, which I doubt, he cannot put all the blame on one young adult who made a fool of himself on social media over a relatively brief period of time, and put his hands up and acknowledged he was in the wrong - as the court system has, quite properly, taken allowance of, along with the youth of the perpetrator.

How forgiving would you be if you had to listen to ****e, spewed at you most of your life???

Ian Wright would've suffered as much racist abuse as any black footballer, which is a lot. He would've suffered a lot more than most because he was one of the best and most successful players in England.
    And he's still getting it. And we know this, because a little scrote in Kerry did exactly that.
    He's not blaming it all on the scrote, but the least he should expect, is that when someone is caught, he should be properly punished.
    He should have gotten a few hundred hours community service spread over six months, working with groups where he could learn to change his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

the young guy or the guy from the article I posted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

his name is all over the media, he will probably frowned upon in his town for most of his days. Possible employment issues now. Community hours probably justified but don't say he hasn't learned anything from it and indeed people will think it is acceptable!

Advertisement