Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles, Phoenix Park and traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was up there earlier, almost all side roads are open again. Only exception is Wellington Rd. and a small part of Military Rd. Acres Rd., Upper Glen Rd., North Rd. are all fully open for cars as per pre-COVID-19.

Cars dumped where they feel like it, some unsafe driving. Back to the usual crap.

Sad to see small kids in a huge park having to wear Hi-Viz and having to stop at every junction to give way to cars. Cars have right of way at pretty much every junction where they meet bikes or pedestrians. It's not right. OPW constantly mentions it's the largest park in a European city, well it's also the best park for cars in a European city.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Another strange feature is the amount of cars that enter on Chesterfield Ave & then try to exit at the side gates necessitating a ten point u turn.

You would think that since unnecessary travel is prohibited during this phase of an actual pandemic that drivers would put a bit of thought into the journal they are about to undertake.

And as for just parking wherever you feel like it, well, I wouldn't do it, that's all I can say.

This is what was going on, trending on Twitter, which may be a good thing in the long run.

EYzfECiXQAE1gSt?format=jpg&name=large

EYu7GaLX0AEUJXU?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As long as it's not used as justification for opening all the side gates!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

KevRossi wrote: »
    This is what was going on, trending on Twitter, which may be a good thing in the long run.
    EYzfECiXQAE1gSt?format=jpg&name=small

Looks like a Northern/UK reg Audi, wonder if they were within the 5k limit for Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Or just didn't want to pay VRT ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Looks like a Northern/UK reg Audi, wonder if they were within the 5k limit for Covid?

Stupidly the law doesn't apply to non residents of the Republic.

Stark wrote: »
    Or just didn't want to pay VRT ;)

Wouldn't surprise me, loads of them going around...:(
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Stupidly the law doesn't apply to non residents of the Republic.

I keep wondering is Covid19 different once you cross into the UK, pointless having a lockdown when someone from a different jurisdiction less than 2 hours drive away can do what they like....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks like the side roads and around by the glen are no longer as pleasant as they once were

https://twitter.com/Jackfire13/status/1264563268103921665?s=19

And cyclists, don't be holding up "traffic" in a 15kph zone
    https://twitter.com/theconjob/status/1264551631204605953?s=19

But sense subsequently came their way
    https://twitter.com/donna_cooney1/status/1264562314902220800?s=19

The wooden bridge is owned by Dublin Port, the planks go along the bridge making it easy fir wheels to get trapped. Cycling is actually Banned on the bridge for safety reasons. They need to keep that bridge open for recreational users such as golfers , kitesurfers and windsurfers who use the beach 12 months of the year.

Back to the new normal in the Park this morning with about 5 cars and 15 cyclists on a circuit of the perimeter. The cul de sac section of the Military Road from near St Mary's to the S bends had been blocked off first time round but the cones were removed later. Lots of rubbish collecting being done after the hoards of visitors at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Also noticed a company measuring the gates that are closed, a company I've seen on sites dealing with old iron fences & gates.

Think they might be going to install replicas of the old ones which makes me think they will reopen the side gates sooner than later.

The amount of rubbish was unreal- what part of full bin do these folk not understand. A special mention to the ones that put their stuff into the protective fence around the tree trunks :(

They've been working on restoring the gates ever since the Pope's visit and some of them must be finally ready for hanging (hopefully in a closed position).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sad to see small kids in a huge park having to wear Hi-Viz and having to stop at every junction to give way to cars. Cars have right of way at pretty much every junction where they meet bikes or pedestrians. It's not right. OPW constantly mentions it's the largest park in a European city, well it's also the best park for cars in a European city.

There's barely any pedestrian / cycling cross points. The Zoo especially is an accident waiting to happen - no safe crossing there. Same at the other points where people might want to cross.

reminds me of a thread I Started one St. Stephens day a few years back. I drove to the park with my elderly parents in law for a stroll. I parked in Ashtown castle car park. At the raised pedestrian crossing leading into this, just at the Aras, I stopped to let a young family cross over A motorist behind me was having none of it - beeped angrily, overtook me and barged past me and through the pedestrian crossing. Nearly took out the whole family, including a young boy who was on on his new bike from Santy and had ridden a bit ahead of the family. I was in shock, and challenged the "lady" in the car park who pretty much told me to fcuk off. This was around 3pm on a St. Stephen's day. Charming.

The thread descended into the usual - motorists and their entitlements, but essentially a lot of motorists thought this was perfectly fine behaviour. Apparently as it's not an "official" pedestrian crossing, so anyone on it is fair game. Kind of sums up the attitude out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There's barely any pedestrian / cycling cross points. The Zoo especially is an accident waiting to happen - no safe crossing there. Same at the other points where people might want to cross.

Are there any at all?

Around by the Garda HQ side there's a couple of raised crossing points, similar to the ones at the roundabout at the Castleknock end. But you get a lot of people in cars taking no notice and just ploughing on over them without any consideration that people may be about to cross.

I've never understood why there's no crossing on Chesterfield avenue, in fact why there's isn't loads. Without them the park is effectively split in two if you're there with a family.

There are no crossing points across Chesterfield Ave. Cars have full priority. There are only 3 or 4 spots in the park where a pedestrian or cyclist does not have to give way to a motorist. In all other places the motorist has priority. Yes, a pedestrian has the right to cross when free but needs to be aware and take care at all times.

It's mental that there are none in the Park, always shocked me how absolutely car-orientated it is.

It's mental that there are none in the Park, always shocked me how absolutely car-orientated it is.

It's not a park orientated towards cyclists, so not shocked at all really.

The management of the OPW for the park welcome motor traffic, cycling is way down the list of priorities and any facilities would be aimed at family groups taking the bikes off the back of an SUV for a little scoot around the paths...

Around by the Garda HQ side there's a couple of raised crossing points, similar to the ones at the roundabout at the Castleknock end. But you get a lot of people in cars taking no notice and just ploughing on over them without any consideration that people may be about to cross.

I've never understood why there's no crossing on Chesterfield avenue, in fact why there's isn't loads. Without them the park is effectively split in two if you're there with a family.

They're just speed ramps with lines painted on them. I think calling them crossing points is misleading, as it implies there's something meaningful there. People in cars don't take any notice because there's no onus on any driver to give way in law, unless there's a bye-law for the Park I'm not aware of.

buffalo wrote: »
    Are there any at all?

Just one at the roundabout near the Castleknock gate but with no markings or signs. It's really just a dishing of the footpath and of the cobbled island leading up to the roundabout. OPW have been obsessed over the years with preserving the historic appearance of the Park so there are no traffic lights, illuminated signs or electric lights. Fine if there were only horse carriages on Chesterfield Avenue and not thousands of cars!

Just one at the roundabout near the Castleknock gate but with no markings or signs. It's really just a dishing of the footpath and of the cobbled island leading up to the roundabout. OPW have been obsessed over the years with preserving the historic appearance of the Park so there are no traffic lights, illuminated signs or electric lights. Fine if there were only horse carriages on Chesterfield Avenue and not thousands of cars!

What was the Nr.1 selling SUV in 1882? Lexus? Hyundai?

I heard that excuse in a talk from them years ago, when it was pointed out by loads of people that Chesterfield Ave looks nowhere like the 19th Century with a couple of hundred cars parked on it, they just ignored the point.

They need colour coding on sections of the roads in conflict areas, rumble strips and zebra crossings. This would have little or no affect on the overall look of the park. The OPW just don't give a crap, visitors are a nuisance to them.

• Advertisement

Funny enough a nice moment there earlier.
    As I was doing a circuit I noticed a car stop there & then another one on the other side.
    As I was crossing the roundabout a mallard with six chicks stepped off the path & crossed over, it was pretty cool to watch.
    I stopped & made sure to make eye contact with the driver & give her a thumbs up.
    Still smiling thinking about it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I had a really nice cycle around the perimeter earlier. No Garda checkpoint anywhere that I noticed today. Place was packed with non car folk which was great. In fact, on the eastern side, heading toward the Garda HQ, the road was busier than I've ever seen it with families, bikes, runners, pedestrians. It was a wonderful thing.

Dreading the return to carmality when none of this can continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Are there any at all?

Open to correction, but I don't believe there's a single traffic light controlled crossing in the park. Few token pedestrian crossings - one at Castleknock Gate and the few raised speed ramps that align with footpaths leading to and from them.

https://goo.gl/maps/fB99Ad4gPVU4k5S4A - example leading to Ashtown castle. A speed ramp / pedestrian crossing, although not clearly marked as to what its purpose is for the motorists. hence they get ignored

another example below

https://goo.gl/maps/iM7jQPXyYQbZMTCF8

As I pointed out, motorists think anyone on these are fair game because they're not marked as pedestrian crossings, despite aligning with pathways leading to and from them. A few signs on the road "caution cyclists / pedestrian crossing - please give way"...... but then I note:

https://goo.gl/maps/KTjFdbEE4rUi9MMK7

The message is "motorists, you have priority. Crack on"

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The message is "motorists, you have priority. Crack on"

Did they move the stop sign beyond the cycle lane when it was marked out, so that cars when stopped would straddle it, rather than just before the cycle lane?

Did they move the stop sign beyond the cycle lane when it was marked out, so that cars when stopped would straddle it, rather than just before the cycle lane?

Looks like it.

Either way, the cycle and pedestrian lanes are very clear on this; cars have full priority, as a cyclist or pedestrian you must give way to vehicles.

It's fcuking retarded.

This is my most frequent point of conflict: https://goo.gl/maps/szZe7jwSrQgeN7VX7

Coming from Parkgate Street I'm always on the road at that point, and looking to get on to the cycle track. 50/50 whether there'll be someone at the yield blocking access. And they're in a perfectly correct position!

What annoys me further is that the OPW could paint the yield further back, so that yielding to cycle traffic is included. Or inevitably there's a row of parked cars to the driver's left, so the driver could move their car forward 2m without adding obstruction to the traffic on the main road and free up access to the cycle lane.

But when you stop and wait, you either get a puzzled look of 'what did I do?' or an exasperated 'what do you expect me to do?'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is my most frequent point of conflict: https://goo.gl/maps/szZe7jwSrQgeN7VX7
    that is kafkaesque.
    cyclists on the offroad cycle path have to stop; to allow for motorists who have to yield, *past* the cycle path, not *for* the cycle path, but cyclists on the onroad cycle path do not have to stop or yield to anyone, so are perfectly entitled to cycle into the side of the car waiting at the yield which doesn't apply to those cyclists.

d2oy50z.jpg?1

The solitary pedestrian crossing on Chesterfield Avenue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not a 'pedestrian crossing' if pedestrians have to wait till there's no traffic. you'd expect a pedestrian crossing to include some signal to motorists to expect pedestrians or give them some sort of tokenistic priority.

• Advertisement

Decided to try a circuit this morning sticking as close to the perimeter as possible. Managed to stay off-road for most of it on lovely dry woodland paths. Only ran into one dodgy section east of the pedestrian gate at Chapelizod and ended up retreating. On 28 Conti 4 Seasons and they handled the rougher bits well. Added a lap on the roads to finish.

https://strava.app.link/19F7LqZQS6

https://www.relive.cc/view/vevYVyej5JO

Advertisement