Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hard not to look past the very first sentence, which places the blame for risk squarely with the cyclist. Maybe it was more balanced through the article but I couldnt be bothered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well her earphones get caught in her own wheel so probably is her fault

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know someone who came a cropper in vaguely similar circumstances, IIRC he had a backpack slung over one shoulder, came to a junction, indicated, and the backpack ended up in his spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Similar here, coil lock dislodged on the way to an exam. Flipped right over the front wheel. Loose things are no good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice to see on the front page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, he is not wrong!

I think it has already aired, going by the responses to the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Saw that thread, there's no way that the kid was wearing the helmet when it got ran over by the truck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A bicycle helmet isn't going to make any functional difference in an accident like that. I'd be more inclined to believe the kid wasn't wearing it properly and it came off in the fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Caught the end of what must have been the cycling segment, Claire was reading out a text giving out about empty cycling lanes and all the money wasted on them and who's paying for them etc. The f**kers on RTE and Newstalk love to keep this phony war going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm very relieved that it we're hearing a good luck story and the lad is ok.

That said I'm really struggling to understand how the helmet saved the lads life, yet ended up like it is in the picture - Did it stay in one piece while the truck wheel was going over it and then explode a few seconds later ?

Also, absolutely no discussion about what the distance was between the lad and the truck. I know the Dad said the driver was being cautious, but how much of a wobble just someone need to make to travel more than 1 meter laterally from their cycling line.

Just all about the helmet. What I took from the reporting of this story is that is that we still have a massive blind spot about read road safety and how very inappropriately comfortable we are about mixing heavy vehicles and people in small spaces.

Post edited by Duckjob on

So there is lady on twitter saying the wheel of the lorry went over his head, and he survived. I do find that incredibly difficult to believe. Nonetheless, it would be good if RTE could confirm it.

Because if true, its an incredible advertisement for wearing helmets.

If not, then what role if any did the helmet play

And also - could they run a feature on the many cyclists killed who werent protected by helmets.

i briefly crossed swords with her, pointing out that a helmet was not capable of that; her response was 'did you listen to the interview?'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A truck driving over your head is way, way, way beyond the design limitations, which is the force equivalent to about 5kg falling 1 or 2m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah, that's just not true. A helmet will save you from cuts and abrasions and will provide some minor protection from an impact, it will do absolutely piss all to help in a truck rolling over your head.

But probably the relevant piece here - is not that she said it; but that she listened to the piece, and thats what she took from it. Thats what she believed happened having listened to the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ARX

Easy to settle the matter with a truck, a helmet and a watermelon (or a volunteer if Lidl is out of watermelons).

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Newstalk's "Lunchtime Live" today is just about to discuss the subject "are there too many cycle lanes"? 😡

For Christ's sake didn't they have an anti-cycling hour yesterday too? Wtf are they playing at? Pandering to their audience I suppose many of whom are driving around all day doing various jobs and need to vent their frustrations on something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Truck driver is on the radio now saying that cyclists need to watch out for learner and novice drivers because they just won't look out for cyclists before turning across them. He has some kind of problem with cycling lanes, but he is not the most articulate, so it is mostly incomprehensible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I tuned in. Some fell from Limerick whinging about them. Some nuggets: "empty cycle lanes", "underutilised cycle lanes", "destruction of Dublin", "waste", "have to be mindful of traffic", "wheelchairs and other diabilities", "good thing in the long run but at the minute, it's not", "not being planned properly & putting cyclists at risk"

Typical crap from Newstalk

I used to enjoy listening to Pat Kenny in the mornings but after hearing him go on about cyclists I realised it was best avoided as is any radio show when the subject comes up, unless I want to higher my blood pressure and anxieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Typical exchange was along the lines of:

"Describe the cycle lane."

"Well, do you know *mutters some mildly obscure landmark*?, well there's a lane up the middle. And parking. And a lane. And there are cars."

Difficult to decipher what is going on

I had to switch it off.

On the bright side:

(Substitute "the more you approach a modest level of adequacy", maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

"If I work in the city centre I should be able to park in the city centre".

And then saying that there are footpaths 6 foot wide, and if cycle lanes are required, these should be split in two for pedestrians and cyclists. God forbid that motorists lose their on-street parking paid for by the taxpayer to store their private property.

begs the question; was he an artic driver or an inartic driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tony from Cork complaining about the bollards.

"You can't drive into the bicycle track!" . That's the mentality you're trying to make a rational argument against folks.

Advertisement