Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is it just the pieces that happen to cross my path, or is the Examiner a lot more thoughtful on active travel and the environment than the Irish Times? (I know the latter owns the former.)

By "more thoughtful" I suppose they publish pieces on the subject that aren't primarily the newspaper equivalent of flame bait.

I seem to be getting a lot more content suggested to me from the Examiner on the phone feed these days. Much of it decent enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

Fun fact, there is more caffeine in tea leaves than coffee beans before brewing.

Gas to see Juliete Elliot again. Can't recall now why I stopped watching her videos , I used to like them.

"there’s a reason why newspapers put letters to the editor in the middle of the paper and not on the front. "

Ha ha!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that an online only column, or does it make it to print?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's a nonline column now; the last (radio jocks) one had a sign-off by the columnist at the end, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Somewhat cycling related, and also a reminder of how **** an outfit Amazon are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Two noteworthy positive pieces in the last week.

The Financial Times ran a detailed supplement outlining cycling culture, experiences and favourite routs across 12 different European cities. A page devoted to each city featured.

The Irish Independent had a detailed 4 page article on the Royal Canal Greenway.

One thing I'd love to see with his in mind is a bit more effort from Iarnrod Eireann - it feels like such a missed opportunity from them - the day trip potential of for example, taking the train from Dublin to Mullingar, and cycling back to Maynooth.

One thing I'd love to see with his in mind is a bit more effort from Iarnrod Eireann - it feels like such a missed opportunity from them - the day trip potential of for example, taking the train from Dublin to Mullingar, and cycling back to Maynooth.

Just like freight, passengers tend to be a massive inconvenience to Irish Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Saw a piece recently with Iarnród Éireann saying they were going to carry more bicycles, that for instance they were going to have a system (I think as used in Northern Ireland) where some seats could be flipped up and bike wheels clicked into a slot-shaped holder above the seat to hold it upright, but I can't find the piece now.

not about cycling, but this is getting a mild roasting on twitter, due to the photos of him parked on a double yellow, and then parked partly on and fully on a footpath. and the claim about the vehicle being environmentally friendly...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

What's a better name for them than mild hybrid? Pseudo-hybrid? Conscience salve hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not actually a hybrid?

from carbuyer.co.uk:

These have been replaced for 2021, with a new 3.0-litre straight-six diesel engine boasting mild-hybrid tech. The D200 version of this engine can manage around 32mpg, a figure which is closely matched by the more powerful D250 and D300 models. These engines emit from 230 to 250g/km of CO2, placing them firmly into the top BiK band for business drivers.

The 2.0-litre turbo petrol P300 can manage around 24mpg with emissions of over 260g/km, the same ballpark figures as the 3.0-litre P400 mild hybrid.

driving a car which emits 260g/km is not eco-conscious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He'd have fit those plant's into my wife's fiesta. I'd probably get them home on a bike.

I once got an Acer tree, albeit a young one, home on the bike. Not the best idea as they don't like wind too much.

"Recently, the Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model has been revived, giving up to 2,059 litres of cargo space"

"The Octavia Hatchback offers 600 litres of boot space seats up, and 1,555 litres with them folded."

a 33% improvement for double the CO2.

• Advertisement

it's kinda nuts that a commercial SUV like that offers so little extra space. the octavia estate has 1,700l+ of storage.

if it's being bought as a commercial vehicle, would people be willing to pay such a premium in running costs; and land rover are famously unreliable. they came last by an eye watering margin in the 2020 what car? reliability survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's not journalism it's a Land Rover add.

Gavin would stick his name on anything for a few quid.

What most of these people need(including the blocklayer/plumber with the Ford Ranger) from a functional need isn't a jeep but a van but what sort of image would that project about the owner😀

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes, a small van like a Berlingo will have more than 2059 litres of space and would be cheaper to run and better (not good) for the environment than a 3.0L Land Rover Defender.

Mind you, they're not as good for all those daily off-road trips he does (onto the footpath, I mean).

Post edited by Peregrine on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

TBF you'd have to give those ad images 10/10 for realism 🙂

I'll put it this way. I stopped buying the Irish Times because I was tired of the downer of every time there was an article or letter giving out about cyclists. There are plenty of newspapers that dont do this, in fact some that are quite positive about cyclists.

interestingly, the editor of the times is a keen cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Freedom of information figures release to Newstalk show 201 children under nine years old were among those who needed inpatient care in 2020.

In 2019, 1,437 people had inpatient admissions in hospital due to a cycling incident or collision.

Last year that rose to 1,888 - involving 1,354 males and 534 females.

A total of 501 children were among those hospitalised, along with 71 people over the age of 70.

One piece I would take this is how low the over 70s number is, which tells me that people over 70 just arent cycling. Which is a shame, because at that age cycling is imho one of the best forms of exercise.

• Advertisement

Advertisement