Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord packed our stuff up and threw it out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's very evident from a thread like this.

Ted and jayzues are in for some very expensive future lessons solely due to their grasp of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

As for the point where I might not being told the full story from the other 3 tenants, it's possible that they might not want to go back but, if that's the case, why would the landlord be ignoring me also and not try clarify anything of his thinking?

Everyone appears to be jumping the gun and getting excited at the prospect of a RTB case.

See if you can get your housemates to send you screenshots of whatever contact they had with the landlord. ( Say it's for a RTB case ). I would imagine something would be amiss if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    What's very evident from a thread like this.

Ted and jayzues are in for some very expensive future lessons solely due to their grasp of the law.

Nope, what’s clear is that many don’t know how to deal with issues. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. That’s how issues get resolved the easiest way and with the least hassle.

The OP hasn’t replied to say he’s happy to pay rent fir a place he hasn’t used between mid march and the 20th July. And is due to move out off in September.

ted1 wrote: »
    Nope, what’s clear is that many don’t know how to deal with issues. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. That’s how issues get resolved the easiest way and with the least hassle.

The OP hasn’t replied to say he’s happy to pay rent fir a place he hasn’t used between non march and the 20th July. And us due to move out off in September.

It’s clear they do. And it’s clear the landlord doesn’t want to answer their phone. Why are you making up things as you go along to suit a clearly wrong landlord?

The landlord is going to get fleeced for this. There’s not a truthful argument you can make otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The OP hasn’t replied to say he’s happy to pay rent fir a place he hasn’t used between non march and the 20th July. And us due to move out off in September.

If that's so clear to you then I'd presume the landlord in this situation. Having major interest in their property would have picked up the phone and done exactly what you've suggested.

Il stand by my expensive lesson comment .

• Advertisement

I just be missing something here surely?

People think the landlord can evict just because someone isn't sleeping in the rented premises?

Rents a week late and the landlord can just enter the premises and box up personal belongings?

Because they are staying at their parental home during a pandemic they have breached contract?

Even crazier, that somehow this will effect Visa applications?

First off op, your gripe about the cost and the size is neither here nor there, you agreed to the price having seen the premises. You were aware it came with double beds. So I'm going to ignore all of that. Buyer beware.

An agreement of reduced rent should be seen for what it is, a compromise by the landlord.

You have an obligation to pay rent on time. That's the agreement you entered.

For his part, the landlord has not followed the law or correct proceedings. That's as simple as that. No argument, he is wrong in how he acted.

If he is a dick or not comes down to personal opinion. Your not whiter than white either so it seems to be a case of both parties being unhappy.

Personally, I think a reduction is reasonable. I offered it to my licensees as they are both out of work. In return the house is spotless and in fact they have done some diy, etc unasked. Win win as far as I am concerned. We all get along though.

7 data late and evicted? Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. A phonecall and a chat was all that was required from him. Jeez, were all a little tight some months. Being devil's advocate though, a text message isn't enough from you. Yeah you called a few times but he could be a busy person. How about an email? WhatsApp? Lots of options.

Keeping the full deposit? Yeah, think again Mr landlord.

That all said, you can complain to the ptrb and will win without a shadow of a doubt unless you screw it up in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

I just be missing something here surely?

People think the landlord can evict just because someone isn't sleeping in the rented premises?

Rents a week late and the landlord can just enter the premises and box up personal belongings?

Because they are staying at their parental home during a pandemic they have breached contract?

Even crazier, that somehow this will effect Visa applications?

First off op, your gripe about the cost and the size is neither here nor there, you agreed to the price having seen the premises. You were aware it came with double beds. So I'm going to ignore all of that. Buyer beware.

An agreement of reduced rent should be seen for what it is, a compromise by the landlord.

You have an obligation to pay rent on time. That's the agreement you entered.

For his part, the landlord has not followed the law or correct proceedings. That's as simple as that. No argument, he is wrong in how he acted.

If he is a dick or not comes down to personal opinion. Your not whiter than white either so it seems to be a case of both parties being unhappy.

Personally, I think a reduction is reasonable. I offered it to my licensees as they are both out of work. In return the house is spotless and in fact they have done some diy, etc unasked. Win win as far as I am concerned. We all get along though.

7 data late and evicted? Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. A phonecall and a chat was all that was required from him. Jeez, were all a little tight some months. Being devil's advocate though, a text message isn't enough from you. Yeah you called a few times but he could be a busy person. How about an email? WhatsApp? Lots of options.

That all said, you can complain to the ptrb and will win in my opinion

Not surprised at the reaction here, given the forum.

This a matter for Gardaí. Property has literally been stolen.

listermint wrote: »

Il stand by my expensive lesson comment .

Well it shows how far off the ball you are. I’ve never had any issues with any of my tenants. And that’s because we have dialogue. If they message me I’ll call them back. If I need to get in touch with them I’ll send them a message asking they call me when it’s convenient.

LeineGlas wrote: »
    Not surprised at the reaction here, given the forum.

This a matter for Gardaí. Property has literally been stolen.

No, it isn't and no, it hasn't 'literally' been stolen. It's a case for a phonecall. People can still resolve issues themselves. Gardai don't need to baby people in every circumstance.

The landlord has no intention of depriving the owner of their property. If he refused to give it back or made it unreachable then yes but I don't believe that's the case here.

No, it isn't and no, it hasn't 'literally' been stolen. It's a case for a phonecall. People can still resolve issues themselves. Gardai don't need to baby people in every circumstance.

The landlord has no intention of depriving the owner of their property. If he refused to give it back or made it unreachable then yes but I don't believe that's the case here.

If the property is damaged we’ll soon see how much the landlord will deprive the tenants. You could be almost certain that someone who has already displayed such high levels of ignorance would not be too careful with someone else’s possessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

What is the law if the landlord perceived the house was abandoned by the tenants ie vacant with no plan to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Mod Note.

Personal abuse and implied threatening posts will not be tolerated at all. Not one single bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JayZeus wrote: »
    You all moved ‘home’. Not in classes. Not in work. Already had a rent reduction. Nobody actually living there. Then a couple of days before you should have paid him reduced rent again you tell him it won’t be there. All the while you’re actually choosing to live somewhere else.

All 4 of you.

Sounds like you all moved out to me.

What sort of person "moves out" yet continues to pay rent after moving out?

OP; ignore this lad and open a case with the PRTB.

JJJackal wrote: »
    What is the law if the landlord perceived the house was abandoned by the tenants ie vacant with no plan to return?

He can perceive what he wants. Fact is that rent was paid for March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

lawred2 wrote: »
    He can perceive what he wants. Fact is that rent was paid for March and April.

I am asking in general though. Not specifically related to this case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I sent a message to the landlord explaining the reason it with be late this month, and not next month, due to a few details. I did this on the 29th. He ignored me. I rang him on the 1st and 2nd, both times he didn't answer

The other told me they sent him a message on the 26/27th that rent would be late by a few days, they got no response.

Can I ask the reason that 4 different people all encountered the same scenario in which their rent would be a bit late for this month, but would be fine next month and in the future?

Ballso wrote: »
    You're some scumbag.

If this was my property and deposit I'd be round to this lads house with a baseball bat to retrieve.

The sooner the rest of these amateur landlords are driven out if the market the better, they are the absolute worst class of people in the country
    Scumbag ? Baseball bat? You need to take a look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

send him a link to this thread.

Can I ask the reason that 4 different people all encountered the same scenario in which their rent would be a bit late for this month, but would be fine next month and in the future?

The full rent might get paid from one account. And it really wouldn't be unusual for 4 people to be slightly delayed with a payment at the moment. It's not up to the landlord to foresee the situation in a month or two.

Don’t want to ask why a landlord thinks they can take the belongings of four people and steal their deposit though?

• Advertisement

The full rent might get paid from one account. And it really wouldn't be unusual for 4 people to be slightly delayed with a payment at the moment. It's not up to the landlord to foresee the situation in a month or two.

If its from one account then only the account holder would be contacting him, not all 4 of them.

And while it wouldn't unusual for rent to be delayed, the OP says that next month it will be fine, that would suggest something more specific than just money troubles.

The landlord hasn't been paid this months rent, why should he believe that he would get next months?

Don’t want to ask why a landlord thinks they can take the belongings of four people and steal their deposit though?

Why don't you want to ask that? Nobody is stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

There are some very illogical people on here

1. A rent reduction was agreed upon

2. Mays rent was late by 1 week

3. The landlord doesn't want to engage with tenents because he refuses to reply to texts are answer his phone

4. He chooses to use communication in a 1 way fashion only. Doesn't want to communicate with the tenents but knew they were no longer there

You may not agree with the law but he's broken it. He's in for a very big bill . He'll have to pay back the deposit pay damages for the eviction and probably have to any outstanding elec/gas charges

By the way if the OP claims any of his property that the landlord removed from the premises has been damaged he will be looking at a bill for that too even if the OP lies about it

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

Id look at the positive here.

School is out and ye moved home so ....... ye kind of didn’t want the place or need it anymore and happy to not have to pay any more rent. Ye would technically still be contracted to pay the rent for the year otherwise.

Yea he took ur stuff and stored it. Bad landlord.

But on bright side ur able to walk away from place with little to no hastle. Grab the chance with both hands lads!

pbthevet wrote: »
    Id look at the positive here.

School is out and ye moved home so ....... ye kind of didn’t want the place or need it anymore and happy to not have to pay any more rent. Ye would technically still be contracted to pay the rent for the year otherwise.

Yea he took ur stuff and stored it. Bad landlord.

But on bright side ur able to walk away from place with little to no hastle. Grab the chance with both hands lads!

He trousered a deposit.

And did I not read that the OP expects to be back at work shortly and now has no place in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

pbthevet wrote:

Yeah, they should be grateful that the landlord illegally evicted them and removed their stuff without permission

They should be glad the landlord didn't throw in a beating as well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

JayZeus wrote: »
    You all moved ‘home’. Not in classes. Not in work. Already had a rent reduction. Nobody actually living there. Then a couple of days before you should have paid him reduced rent again you tell him it won’t be there. All the while you’re actually choosing to live somewhere else.

All 4 of you.

Sounds like you all moved out to me.

What difference would it make if they had all moved to mars, the lease was in place the proper procedures needed to be followed if the rent was overdue

He trousered a deposit.

And did I not read that the OP expects to be back at work shortly and now has no place in Dublin.

He legally can’t move back tilll at least July 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

He trousered a deposit.

I thought they were students. If they were living there .......... then ye no option but law.

If students and college 2020 and even 2021 being a big ? Id be glad to be rid of place till things settle. But if working thats a different kettle of fish. But if only one lad working ......... cud he not sort himself out and let the other lads just take easy way out of it

• Advertisement

He legally can’t move back tilll at least July 20th.

Legally?

If you have to be somewhere for work there are no laws stopping you.

Advertisement