Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord packed our stuff up and threw it out

Options
  • 09-05-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just to give you some context, we are a group of 4 students that got accommodation in Dublin starting in September for a 12 month lease. The lease agreement is for €2300 a month (2 month deposit) for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment a good bit outside the city center. The apartment originally had 2 double beds and we agreed with the landlord to buy our own single beds (bunk beds for both rooms as there not even big enough for two normal singles) because he wasn't going too. The only reason we took this place was after the leaving cert we legit couldn't get anything else.
    The apartment was fine, but before and during Christmas the boiler broke so we had no heating/hot water and it took him 2 months to get it fixed during the coldest part of the year and always had a new excuse to why it wasn't happening this week eg. Repair man is 3 week wait, the repair man had to cancel. But we got on with it.
    But as we are not from Dublin, we all went home to where we are from since mid march, and since it's not "essential travel" to go up, we haven't been back. But before we left we agreed with the landlord to pay a reduced rate of rent of €1900 for April and months until the lockdown is lifted and he agreed to that. On the 27th of April we sent him a message that the rent would be a bit late for may (first time rent has been late) and he ignored the message. On the 7th of may just before we were going to spend him the rent, he sent us one saying
    "I have boxed up your belonging, they are in a shed in *(location 20 miles from apartment)* and I'm keeping your secerity deposit for rent unpaid"

This has pissed me the **** off now, I had expensive computer, moniter books, personal belongings, and he came into the apartment and he entered without permission. Took our stuff to a ****ing shed, after ignoring us after only a week.

I don't know what to do now, thinking about getting legal advice on monday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Doesn't sound like you have been served with the appropriate notices. Is your LL registered with PRTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

He's completely in the wrong here. Under normally circumstances he can't do this and especially during THE Coronavirus anti eviction regulations he can't do this.
    Keep all records of correspondence with him and contact the RTB for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

He has made a big mistake. If he has made any of you homeless you could take him for thousands. Get advice from the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 16 expertrhino

KaneToad wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like you have been served with the appropriate notices. Is your LL registered with PRTB?

Yes, the lease was signed online and everything was done

ittakestwo wrote: »
    He has made a big mistake. If he has made any of you homeless you could take him for thousands. Get advice from the RTB

My work has said they plan to open on the 23rd of this month, so now I have nowhere in Dublin and am just staying at my parents atm while this covid-19 lockdown is going on. And another fear i have is if I can't work my employer will say I refuse to work and I won't be able to get the covid-19 payment either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I don't know anything about renting, but I think your landlords behaviour is a bit extreme for one late payment.
    Could you try the RTB before contacting a solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Just to give you some context, we are a group of 4 students that got accommodation in Dublin starting in September for a 12 month lease. The lease agreement is for €2300 a month (2 month deposit) for a tiny 2 bedroom apartment a good bit outside the city center. The apartment originally had 2 double beds and we agreed with the landlord to buy our own single beds (bunk beds for both rooms as there not even big enough for two normal singles) because he wasn't going too. The only reason we took this place was after the leaving cert we legit couldn't get anything else.
    The apartment was fine, but before and during Christmas the boiler broke so we had no heating/hot water and it took him 2 months to get it fixed during the coldest part of the year and always had a new excuse to why it wasn't happening this week eg. Repair man is 3 week wait, the repair man had to cancel. But we got on with it.
    But as we are not from Dublin, we all went home to where we are from since mid march, and since it's not "essential travel" to go up, we haven't been back. But before we left we agreed with the landlord to pay a reduced rate of rent of €1900 for April and months until the lockdown is lifted and he agreed to that. On the 27th of April we sent him a message that the rent would be a bit late for may (first time rent has been late) and he ignored the message. On the 7th of may just before we were going to spend him the rent, he sent us one saying
    "I have boxed up your belonging, they are in a shed in *(location 20 miles from apartment)* and I'm keeping your secerity deposit for rent unpaid"

This has pissed me the **** off now, I had expensive computer, moniter books, personal belongings, and he came into the apartment and he entered without permission. Took our stuff to a ****ing shed, after ignoring us after only a week.

What an @sshole. Contact the PTRB asap, this guy needs good spanking. Make a note of all correspondence, times, dates etc, and by whom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Take the cnut to the cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OP, I think you know the rules. Get on with it and do an RTB check etc.

Honestly, do Uni students not know these things anymore.

In other words you all left the property uninhabited as you all decided to go home to live with your parents, you didn’t pay rent on time despite a decent rent reduction, but expected your personal belongings to be stored in a property in which none of you are residing or paying rent for?

He hasn’t evicted you. You moved home. He hasn’t made you homeless. You didn’t pay rent on time and then effectively abandoned the property and your belongings. Good of him to box it up and put it in storage. Most abandoned rentals result in a skip being dropped outside.

After he agreed to a reduction of your rent, you should have paid it on time. Collect your stuff and find a new place to live. Don’t muck people around next time. Your rent is ALWAYS to be paid on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

He didnt throw it out, he has packed it up and stored it.

Are you sure he received a text?? Because if not, from where he stands he has a vacant apartment with no rent paid for the month of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

JayZeus wrote: »
    In other words you all left the property uninhabited as you all decided to go home to live with your parents, you didn’t pay rent on time despite a decent rent reduction, but expected your personal belongings to be stored in a property in which none of you are residing or paying rent for?

He hasn’t evicted you. You moved home. He hasn’t made you homeless. You didn’t pay rent on time and then effectively abandoned the property and your belongings. Good of him to box it up and put it in storage. Most abandoned rentals result in a skip being dropped outside.

After he agreed to a reduction of your rent, you should have paid it on time. Collect your stuff and find a new place to live. Don’t muck people around next time. Your rent is ALWAYS to be paid on time.

They paid until the end of April so to imply they have ran off into the sunset leaving the LL high and dry is nonsense. I'm bemused how a landlord could be so thick here.

Yes the rent is late but there are procedures in place to deal with that and have been totally flouted here. It's such an unbelievably stupid action I thought the thread was a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I miss the 90's as well but we have to accept that things move on. You have to serve notice of late rent then gets judgement from prtb and that's when the covid laws aren't in place. That fool is going to be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

The RTB are a bit of a nightmare to get through to at the moment but just keep at it and you should get someone eventually. Don’t know if you’ll get anyone tomorrow but get straight on it Monday.

Browney7 wrote: »
    They paid until the end of April so to imply they have ran off into the sunset leaving the LL high and dry is nonsense. I'm bemused how a landlord could be so thick here.

Yes the rent is late but there are procedures in place to deal with that and have been totally flouted here. It's such an unbelievably stupid action I thought the thread was a wind up

Soo many stupid people out there.

1. Rent was going to be paid, but a little over a week late
    2. I'm currently at home now, I can't stay here for when I need to go back to work, so he has actually made me homeless.
    3. He has mucked us about several times, the one that stands out was the gas boiler that broke down and left the apartment freezing with no hot water for shower for over 2 months
    4. He has taken belongings out of the apartment without telling us, when we can't collect it due to it not being "esintial travel" along with the things he could have broken.

So yes, he has evicted us with no warning
    He never replied to message about the rent being late.

We where perfect tenants up to this point and couldn't help that the rent was going to be late due to the circumstances with covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cha cha Ching.... He has fooked up, rtb on your side you all are on to a winner....

Yes it sucks at the moment but you will have your deposit back and some.....

Rtb file a complaint, have no more dealing with the man....

1. Rent was going to be paid, but a little over a week late
    2. I'm currently at home now, I can't stay here for when I need to go back to work, so he has actually made me homeless.
    3. He has mucked us about several times, the one that stands out was the gas boiler that broke down and left the apartment freezing with no hot water for shower for over 2 months
    4. He has taken belongings out of the apartment without telling us, when we can't collect it due to it not being "esintial travel" along with the things he could have broken.

So yes, he has evicted us with no warning
    He never replied to message about the rent being late.

We where perfect tenants up to this point and couldn't help that the rent was going to be late due to the circumstances with covid-19

You all moved ‘home’. Not in classes. Not in work. Already had a rent reduction. Nobody actually living there. Then a couple of days before you should have paid him reduced rent again you tell him it won’t be there. All the while you’re actually choosing to live somewhere else.

All 4 of you.

Sounds like you all moved out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

You're a bit thick aren't ya?

You all moved ‘home’. Not in classes. Not in work. Already had a rent reduction. Nobody actually living there. Then a couple of days before you should have paid him reduced rent again you tell him it won’t be there. All the while you’re actually choosing to live somewhere else.

All 4 of you.

Except we told him we would pay the rest for the duration of the lease, and 7 days overdue rent = entering and taking our stuff to a new location and keeping 4600 deposit. Is this something you would do???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lots of things and people at fault in this - but at the very bottom of it is that all of your expensive stuff is safe and boxed up - not kept or sold on ebay in lieu of rent due. I’d suggest yiu get it while the option is still there.

As regards the boiler - just try getting a plumber or a new boiler or even old boiler parts - at any time of the year - let alone Christmas - tradesmen in that area are both difficult to get and notoriously unreliable.

You negotiated a discount - he gave it to
    you - and you didn’t pay. You then all moved out leaving various goods and belongings behind and with 5 months left on your lease without giving notice or paying your rent.

No doubt after a number of years the PTRB will
    get around to you and find him in the wrong but in the meantime he gas some solid points on his side albeit being in the wrong, and at the end of it all you did not pay your rent and were treated reasonably in your requests.

By the time the case comes
    up, is heard, and then appealed years will have passed - in the meantime you have your covid 19 payments, have your belongings and don’t have to pay for a house you don’t like and no longer need. If it were me, disregarding right and wrong and there are two of you in it, I would get my belingings, make peace with the situation, continue claiming the covid-19 for the job you cannot do anyway and look to making less mistakes in the future. A contract is a legal document not a loan from your brother - you cant just ask for a discount, get one, and then not bother paying the rent you negotiated anyway and dissppear. You cannot have it every way and although the ll was not right in his treatment of you , you were also in breech of
    your contract with him/her and he can also sue you for the 5 months difference and make your life very unpleasant, difficult and expensive . Not to mention that there are jobs you can never apply for or sectors that will be barred to you for life if a judgement is made against you in court - particularly for finance.

Except we told him we would pay the rest for the duration of the lease, and 7 days overdue rent = entering and taking our stuff to a new location and keeping 4600 deposit. Is this something you would do???

Not twice he wouldn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

On the surface of it, sounds like it could be an illegal eviction.

Talk to the RTB first thing Monday, they may advise the landlord he would be wise to change his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

All 4 of you.

If the rent is a week late you can't box someones stuff up and evict them. Where they were currently staying during the crisis is irrelevant.
    The landlord can rightly feel pissed off but he can't do what he did.
    I assume you are on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Lots of things and people at fault in this - but at the very bottom of it is that all of your expensive stuff is safe and boxed up - not kept or sold on ebay in lieu of rent due. I’d suggest yiu get it while the option is still there.

As regards the boiler - just try getting a plumber or a new boiler or even old boiler parts - at any time of the year - let alone Christmas - tradesmen in that area are both difficult to get and notoriously unreliable.

You negotiated a discount - he gave it to
    you - and you didn’t pay. You then all moved out leaving various goods and belongings behind and with 5 months left on your lease without giving notice or paying your rent.

No doubt after a number of years the PTRB will
    get around to you and find him in the wrong but in the meantime he gas some solid points on his side albeit being in the wrong, and at the end of it all you did not pay your rent and were treated reasonably in your requests.

By the time the case comes
    up, is heard, and then appealed years will have passed - in the meantime you have your covid 19 payments, have your belongings and don’t have to pay for a house you don’t like and no longer need. If it were me, disregarding right and wrong and there are two of you in it, I would get my belingings, make peace with the situation, continue claiming the covid-19 for the job you cannot do anyway and look to making less mistakes in the future. A contract is a legal document not a loan from your brother - you cant just ask for a discount, get one, and then not bother paying the rent you negotiated anyway and dissppear. You cannot have it every way and although the ll was not right in his treatment of you , you were also in breech of
    your contract with him/her and he can also sue you for the 5 months difference and make your life very unpleasant, difficult and expensive . Not to mention that there are jobs you can never apply for or sectors that will be barred to you for life if a judgement is made against you in court - particularly for finance.

I don't know how you've jumped to these conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charao

Start gathering all correspondence between all 4 of you and the landlord, texts/emails etc. Start a document between the 4 of you and start a timeline of events. The boiler breakdown and repair is a clear breach on the landlords part, and will support your already slam dunk case against him.

You should be able to find a new place a little easier at the moment, and get the RTB on the case.

Your belongings in storage, you'd get away with essential travel I'd think to pick them up if you contact the Gardai.

Mental situation, the landlord is a complete idiot. Also ignore the troll here for your sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

All 4 of you.

If op has a lease and is paid up until april it doesnt matter if hes living there or not,its still their residence. And 7 days leeway with rent at a time where everything is up in the air isnt alot to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

14 days late LL can send a letter requesting payment....

They can't evict on this alone.... And at the moment these evictions are stopped anyway legal or illegal.....

The op and their 3 mates are onto a winner...

LL couldn't evict even before anyway on late payment, sure look at the amount that over hold for months or a year without paying

Charao wrote: »
    Start gathering all correspondence between all 4 of you and the landlord, texts/emails etc. Start a document between the 4 of you and start a timeline of events. The boiler breakdown and repair is a clear breach on the landlords part, and will support your already slam dunk case against him.

You should be able to find a new place a little easier at the moment, and get the RTB on the case.

Your belongings in storage, you'd get away with essential travel I'd think to pick them up if you contact the Gardai.

Mental situation, the landlord is a complete idiot. Also ignore the troll here for your sanity

Any one of the 4 could have travelled to the apartment at any point in time if it’s their home. They all went ‘home’ in March. They’re all out of classes/lectures, out of work, living somewhere else for a couple of months and not paying rent.

While it may well be decided that the landlord has to cough up, it’ll be better for him to have €2300 a month in rent from new tenants than to wait and see if this lot ever came back or would pay their rent. Better to have that than to have to chase after 4 students with SFA to their names who did a bunk and left out of pocket with a mortgage etc to pay each month.

Renters need to cop on to themselves at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Charao

You seem quite emotional about this situation for some reason, it's strange. The processes are available for everyone to find and educate themselves on how this all works, including what happens when tenants are late on rent. It's all very clear and doesn't need wild opinions claiming what should and shouldn't happen. Here it is, go crazy : https://www.rtb.ie/

Advertisement