Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So the layoffs are from then and not immediately?

Thats how it reads to me;
    Aer Lingus has told its Shannon-based cabin crew that they are to be temporarily laid off, while those based in Dublin and Cork are to see rosters and pay reduced from 50% to 30% of normal.

In a video message to staff, Head of Inflight Services Mary Montgomery notes that the airline had already committed to pay and rosters being at 50% of normal salary until 21st June, despite the flight schedule being at just 5% of normal traffic.........

Status quo until 21st June

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The latest escalations will railroad in terms and conditions without agreement under the guise of "do it for the company" or "you're lucky to have a job" mantra especially in Engineering and Cabin Crew, the ground handling,headsets etc will be outsourced...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Bussywussy wrote: »
    The latest escalations will railroad in terms and conditions without agreement under the guise of "do it for the company" or "you're lucky to have a job" mantra especially in Engineering and Cabin Crew, the ground handling,headsets etc will be outsourced...

And how would you know about ground ops being outsourced, from what I’ve seen there is no mention of it.. in fact their work load is due to increase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Am I right in saying Aer Lingus are lying to us customers?. They know fine rightly that large majority of June flights Will not operate.
    They appear to be trying to hold out as long as possible before they cancel any flights so that people will apply for vouchers before then. Aer Lingus are circumventing EU regulations and refusing to engage in refunds.

Our accommodation provider wants full payment for our trip to Portugal on Friday 5th June next week. All that Aer Lingus keep saying to me on the phone and on twitter is that the flight will operate- yet it is clear to see that hundreds of other flights in June have been cancelled by them.

We’ve been saving for this for a long time and it’s for my dads milestone birthday, all 3 of us children and our other halves were to go.

Will we just cancel the villa at this stage with the villa owner and just wait for Aer lingus to cancel? To be honest not expecting them to do so until very near our flight on 20th June which will be too late if we pay all accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Aer Lingus are lying to us customers?. They know fine rightly that large majority of June flights Will not operate.
    They appear to be trying to hold out as long as possible before they cancel any flights so that people will apply for vouchers before then. Aer Lingus are circumventing EU regulations and refusing to engage in refunds.

Our accommodation provider wants full payment for our trip to Portugal on Friday 5th June next week. All that Aer Lingus keep saying to me on the phone and on twitter is that the flight will operate- yet it is clear to see that hundreds of other flights in June have been cancelled by them.

We’ve been saving for this for a long time and it’s for my dads milestone birthday, all 3 of us children and our other halves were to go.

Will we just cancel the villa at this stage with the villa owner and just wait for Aer lingus to cancel? To be honest not expecting them to do so until very near our flight on 20th June which will be too late if we pay all accommodation.

Is the flight currently bookable online?

• Advertisement

Hi Jamie, no it’s not. Like a lot of them it’s showing up that it cannot be booked anymore for 20th June

Hi Jamie, no it’s not. Like a lot of them it’s showing up that it cannot be booked anymore for 20th June

Then its likely not going to operate.

That’s what I think as well but the remaining party of 7 want to hold out and take the chance. Think it’s best to just prepare not to go and notify the villa owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Public health advice in Ireland remains to avoid all non-essential travel and there is a 14-day self-isolation period on return. How could anyone expect airlines to restart operations, especially to leisure destinations, in such circumstances?

That’s what I think as well but the remaining party of 7 want to hold out and take the chance. Think it’s best to just prepare not to go and notify the villa owner

Yeah if the flights are off sale unlikely to go ahead until after 1 July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tenger wrote: »
    Thats how it reads to me;
    Aer Lingus has told its Shannon-based cabin crew that they are to be temporarily laid off, while those based in Dublin and Cork are to see rosters and pay reduced from 50% to 30% of normal.

In a video message to staff, Head of Inflight Services Mary Montgomery notes that the airline had already committed to pay and rosters being at 50% of normal salary until 21st June, despite the flight schedule being at just 5% of normal traffic.........

Status quo until 21st June

No message from the company or union on that highlighted bit above. Said they would be sending a mail to crew last Friday. It's now Thursday and nothing has arrived. It's a shambles of a company (not news to anyone that works in EI). Would you think they could have held off until staff were told first despite working in chinese whispers etc...

Mc Love wrote: »
    No message from the company or union on that highlighted bit above. Said they would be sending a mail to crew last Friday. It's now Thursday and nothing has arrived. It's a shambles of a company (not news to anyone that works in EI). Would you think they could have held off until staff were told first despite working in chinese whispers etc...

A mate showed me the internal video she got yesterday. It stated that Shannon would be furloughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Minneapolis and Miami look like they are no longer able to be booked. Sad to see the level of growth and expansion the last few years being scaled back.

https://thriftytraveler.com/aer-lingus-cuts-new-flight-from-minneapolis-to-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

What routes are actually in operation with Aer Lingus at the moment?

I know of the following;

LHR
    JFK
    BOS
    ORD
    KIR
    CFN

I hadn’t noticed until today that MAN and AMS are also still going.

They’ll have to start considering restarting some other key European cities or they may get left behind. Lufthansa is restating FRA shortly and Ryanair has maintained a SXF connection throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

They’ll have to start considering restarting some other key European cities or they may get left behind. Lufthansa is restating FRA shortly and Ryanair has maintained a SXF connection throughout.

I'm not sure what you expect them to do, they have to abide by current Government restrictions in Ireland at the moment, and can't afford to squander cash burn flying empty aircraft on routes there is no demand for. They are only servicing air links that are carrying sufficient levels of cargo, including post and maintain 'vital' air links as well as the PSO's.

The others can maintain and restart routes all they want to Europe, but they won't generate the footfall they require to make any money until Government's relax travel restrictions particularly in Ireland.

Internationally

DUB-BOS/137
    DUB-JFK/105
    DUB-ORD/123

Freight charters DUB-PEK

For Europe its

DUB-AMS/602
    DUB-LHR/154+166+174(returning)+178
    DUB-MAN/202

BHD-LHR/930 + 934
    ORK-LHR/722

Domestically by Stobart

DUB-CFN
    DUB-KIR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

What routes are actually in operation with Aer Lingus at the moment?

I know of the following;

LHR
    JFK
    BOS
    ORD
    KIR
    CFN

I hadn’t noticed until today that MAN and AMS are also still going.

Lufthansa got a massive bail out. Can afford fly near empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

DUB- ACE, AGP, ALC, CDG, FAO, FCO and PMI are all due to start back up on the 1st of July . With AMS, LHR and MAN increased plus the stobart routes. All subject to change of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The LH bailout goes a bit further, LH is now forced to take its order of Airbus aircraft, any normal airline would defer or cancel.

Airbus builds A32x and a major part of the A350 on site in Hamburg, so its also a way to subsidise Airbus and keep German's at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Will there be any EI routes ex SNN at all this summer? It’s a balls for the company after some good new routes to be completely stripped back by an event completely out of their hands. Will they start by just trying to rebuild DUB routes to regain pax no’s and general travel confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Shamrockj wrote: »
    DUB- ACE, AGP, ALC, CDG, FAO, FCO and PMI are all due to start back up on the 1st of July . With AMS, LHR and MAN increased plus the stobart routes. All subject to change of course.

I’d hold fire on any of the Spanish destinations opening on July 1st for the moment. It would appear that Spain may well be going to draw up a list of approved countries similar to Greece, currently Ireland is not on the approved Greek list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Yeah, that planned start up of Spanish routes is not going to happen. The booking engine, is being changed in blocks. You are simply seeing the standard planned S20 schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I’d hold fire on any of the Spanish destinations opening on July 1st for the moment. It would appear that Spain may well be going to draw up a list of approved countries similar to Greece, currently Ireland is not on the approved Greek list.

After what went on in town today what country would want to add Ireland to their approved list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ireland will be hurt by its honest approach to reporting numbers, lots of countries are juking the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

cson wrote: »
    Ireland will be hurt by its honest approach to reporting numbers, lots of countries are juking the numbers.

Poor Aer Lingus! :rolleyes:

Poor Aer Lingus! :rolleyes:

The poster referred to the country of Ireland rather than a specific Irish airline.

Due to their business model,any Aer Lingus recovery/route increase will be more based upon the US situation rather than Ireland/UK or wider Europe.
    I would hazard a guess that inbound FR loads will also suffer if the Irish restriction are extended further than other European nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ratracer wrote: »
    Will there be any EI routes ex SNN at all this summer? It’s a balls for the company after some good new routes to be completely stripped back by an event completely out of their hands. Will they start by just trying to rebuild DUB routes to regain pax no’s and general travel confidence?

|Don't think so, nearly all made redundant for coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

With 757 fleets being retired in the US and airlines needing to retrench to their core routes, Shannon likely has a very difficult year or two ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

HTCOne wrote: »
    With 757 fleets being retired in the US and airlines needing to retrench to their core routes, Shannon likely has a very difficult year or two ahead of it.

Thats where the A321 NEO comes in, cheaper to fly than the 757 and EI has the advantage as one of the few ETOPS approved NEO LR operators. And Shannon is perfect with its lovely long runway so you can do full weight take off while Dublin struggles.

It might have to revert to the old style 3 a week to JFK, 4 a week to BOS from SNN but its unlikely until March 2021

COVID is a problem, the US has bigger problems now

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Thats where the A321 NEO comes in, cheaper to fly than the 757 and EI has the advantage as one of the few ETOPS approved NEO LR operators. And Shannon is perfect with its lovely long runway so you can do full weight take off while Dublin struggles.

It might have to revert to the old style 3 a week to JFK, 4 a week to BOS from SNN but its unlikely until March 2021

I was more thinking it might be a year or two before EI have any LRs back to Shannon, they might be needed to run lower demand routes due the current situation to JFK, BOS, EWR, YYZ, IAD etc from Dublin, and UA and AA won’t start getting XLRs til 2023 IIRC.

Still, EI have more important things to worry about than EINN atm. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

Shannon and the mid west region have massive issues. Bear in mind that during a boom period in aviation Shannon was struggling massively. They had laid off staff and reduce fire cover hours.

Shannon will be lucky to get a transatlantic route back before 2022. If they do get routes back in 2021 it will be a couple of times per week at best for either.

Advertisement