Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Whatever route it is or isn't but do the geniuses in EI not possess mountains of data that would help make a decision for a particular route? If its the route that can't be mentioned less you incur the wrath of L1011, its 60 mins from LAX/SFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

Not this sh1te again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The fact 75000 flew there without a direct route and aer lingus can funnel passengers there via Dublin. This airport on the us end, is served by only about 6 European airports ... some of the new us routes they launched, how many passengers a year are they expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭sherology

EI-EAV in Boston overnight, flight cancelled. Engine problems again?

It was the previous night's flight (i.e. 6 January, arriving on the7th) that was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dude is acting the clown with his refusal to name whatever McGregor fanboi route he's got a hard on for.

EI's strategy is US East Coast/Midwest with early morning bucket and spades/LHR baked into the rotation. Anecdotally I've spoken to a lot of pax who connect to Europe via Dublin, at least on the IAD-DUB route and that strikes me as the optimal strategy.

People get laser focused on whether Ireland/DUB can support a route whereas in reality EI should be aiming to be a better version of Icelandair/PLAY in connecting North America to Europe at competitive prices.

As I've said though, they really need to dial back into the detail on the J product because pricing wise its similar to the US3 and other legacy European carriers and it's got a ways to go to be at that standard.

Post edited by cson on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Theres no direct route from Europe to Kansas City if thats what hes getting at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

As regards new US routes, I think BWI might fit the network - at the very least IAG should have some solid numbers on it given BA operates a 787 daily which switches to 772 in the summer suggesting there is demand. Would be relatively easy to shift crew/pax between IAD-BWI-PHL in the event of IRROPs too.

CLE is very interesting, should be a decent catchment on the US side though not sure how many it'd interest ex Europe. Definitely think they could make BNA (1 Europe service by BA) and STL (1 Europe service by LH) work and I'd be interested to see the numbers BA get out of CVG.

The play has to be for people from those MSAs to make the connection in Europe rather than connecting to the stateside hub though a lot depends on the ability of the preclearance facility in DUB to handle those numbers (and indeed immigration on the Irish side) and from what I saw at Christmas, that hall is damn near the ceiling of its capacity for the morning banks of flights. Definitely some room post 1pm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

But surely Kansas is more than an hour’s flight from LA & SF?

Willie Walsh didn’t get where he is in IAG without copping onto a trick like this. So what has this know-all got that the likes of WW hasn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The other point to note about Cleveland is that Aer Lingus is receiving subsidies from their side to run the route. It isn’t solely dependent on passenger numbers (for the first couple of years anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeasantHater

Ridiculous statement. The amount of hurt that comes up on this thread is actually laughable, I really don't understand what upsets people so much about it? Calling it a"McGregor fanboi route" is a childish statement, I'm another person pushing for this route for years and I hate the said "sports person" with every fibre of my being! the numbers don't lie about the popularity of the destination from Ireland, the numbers can be found here: https://simpleflying.com/las-vegas-long-haul-flights-asia-europe/

Attacking people for suggesting a popular route to be considered is an embarrassment and the fact that this route can't be discussed on here has been present for years. You may not like it but the numbers don't lie, so instead of attacking posters maybe attack the 70k+ people who flew from DUB in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Until additional A330s are sourced, there’s no point in discussing it I’d suggest. Main NA routes to consider now are those the 6 XLRs can open up when they start arriving along with the LRs that they can sub. MCI is always being discussed internally I gather. BUF was heavily rumoured. YUL got canned due the LR delays but ACA might have eaten EIN’s lunch there since. YQB and DTW occasionally get mentioned. BA get subsidies on their more marginal recent routes to the US also.

I’m assuming MSY & TPA are too far.

Low yield economy gamblers staying in Circus Circus does not a viable route make.

Thinking that they do, is embarrassing.

It must be assumed that EI already carries some of these punters via its existing destinations, so it would be losing passengers on those routes if it opened a direct LAS route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd be looking at SLC and places like that pre-pandemic but since, its dog-eat-dog out there for J revenue

Most People I've discussed this with usually use US carriers as flight times are usually better than the IAG offerings and there's significantly more options.

• Advertisement

Yeah, because everyone flying from DUB - (somewhere) - LAS is staying in Circus Circus. I, along with many other people I've traveled with personally or discussed the matter with via social channels, forums etc have never stayed in such dumps. Route does not necessarily have to be low yield, on routes like this one would expect to pay a premium for the convenience, having a monopoly would be rather helpful I would imagine.

Circus circus..

And flying to Orlando is massive yields? You might be ignorant to the fact, but that city is the conference and entertainment capital of the world! On many weekends, you will pay e400 plus to stay in even a " dump" like circus circus... FYI...

The geniuses in aer lingus might want to implement a premium economy too as has been suggested...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-EDY positioned to Manchester this morning and quickly went into service on Orlando. G-EILA was in Dublin, presumably for scheduled maintenance. Originally this week of flights to BGI and MCO had appeared either cancelled or sold out in the booking engine with lots of mixed messages to concerned passengers, some rebooked while others were assured the flights were still going ahead.

Looks like cover had long been planned but call centre staff didn't have a definitive answer at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

I’m surprised that Denver isn’t being mentioned more here as a potential next TA route for EI, it is the busiest unserved American airport from Dublin in the US by some distance, and EI could tap into United’s substantial network there. After that though it’s hard to imagine that Vegas isn’t on their radar in the medium-term, it’s hard to imagine the likes of Kansas City or Salt Lake City generating anywhere near the same level of traffic.

In terms of losing traffic from existing connections, that is a moot point as the same could be said for Miami, Hartford, Seattle or any other new route that EI have launched recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What do AL fly on the SF route?

Recently flew AL to NY and thought it was very basic service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Does anyone honestly believe they haven’t looked at all possible routes? It’s insane to think they haven’t considered all possible options

Maybe they are wrong and maybe that route is a goldmine but there’s no way they haven’t looked at it.

(FWIW both times I’ve flown there have been with Virgin through London/Manchester)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FR738

The likes of Kansas City, Salt Lake City or other second tier US/CAN cities too far for the XLR could possibly work on some used A332s (which have very cheap lease rates) with frequencies of X3/4 per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

It’s very hard to imagine anything other than a Delta-operated 767 being successful on a DUB-SLC route, as SLC is heavily dominated by Delta, with whom EI have no interline agreement with. I can’t fathom how sending any kind of A330 to Kansas City would be profitable, considering that the likes of Hartford and Cleveland on smaller aircraft are only possible with subsidies.

DEN was actually number 2 in 2019 with approx 32k round trip passengers, the largest unserved US airport was (the destination that shall not be mentioned) with 73k round trip passengers.

source: James Pearson, senior route analyst- simpleflying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Would it be controversial to say that the first focus of Aer Lingus should be to get back to the fairly decent hard and soft product they had a decade ago, which has gone to pot over the last 3/4 years and will eventually catch up with them.

Advertisement