Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black people 4X more likely to die from Covid-19

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, are 2-3 times more prevalent in people of colour than Caucasians worldwide. Also socioeconomic factors reducing access to quality healthcare, diet and education, making these communities predisposed to a 'harder hit' from Covid 19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Collie D wrote: »
    many

Actually I'm describing something uncountable so much is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

splashuum wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1258323242768576513

Shocking enough statistic to report. Various other media outlets reporting the same. Some of the black community are saying this is racist.
    Do these stats stem from genetic differences or lifestyle choices?

Or maybe systemic poverty?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Viral load probably has a factor. If you catch the virus by repeated exposure, the risk of death could well be higher than a once off encounter in theory. Are black people particularly prevalent in the NHS? That been said I think obesity, living in cramped cities and perhaps undercounting of black people could be far bigger factors.

Yes the NHS has approximately 20% of it's workforce who are black or ethnic minority.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Danzy wrote: »
    Genetics is a major problem in this.

How So? Do you have some evidence that covid reacts differently within Black/Ethnic Minorities based on genetics?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The figures are not about cases, it is about deaths. They are 4 times more likely to die if contracting the virus.

It's nothing to do with living in cramped housing or working in an essential service.

I think people are missing this, yes.

These stats are about people being more likely to die once they have it, not more likely to get it. That's a difference dramatic enough that we can't account for it with speculation about receptors alone.

It would be reasonable to wonder if there's a difference in pre existing community health, disproportionate representation among "essential" (ie poor) work classes, and treatment being made available after the fact. None of those things happen in a vacuum, in the same way the Famine didn't just happen because the spuds got sick.

Covid 19 has proven adept at exploiting existing social fault lines. The underlying issues it exposes aren't simple, but it would be foolish to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Yes the NHS has approximately 20% of it's workforce who are black or ethnic minority.

It is difficult to find up to day stats but I would have thought 20% would be close, a bit below but close to the percentage of ethnic minority people in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There seems to be a stronger death rate with people from countries with little BCG vaccination programs.
    Also Black slimed people produce less VitD which is another tool to fight Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

So much tempting things to say.
    Collie D wrote: »
    many
    Actually I'm describing something uncountable so much is correct.

:)

So much posters here make so much grammar mistakes that they are literally innumerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mucho postos

• Advertisement
Advertisement