Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://www.clydejonesconsultancy.com/post/drought-again

Alot of interesting stuff in this in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You know with this hosepipe ban, are you still allowed to water the flowers or wash the car with the garden hose if you have your own well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You know with this hosepipe ban, are you still allowed to water the flowers or wash the car with the garden hose if you have your own well?

I've a well and wouldn't be wasting my water on the car or garden.

It's my only source of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Why wouldn't you? You're supplying yourself!
    Though if there's a way of doing it otherwise it's probably better. E.g while waiting for hot water to come through in the tap, use a basin to collect the cold stuff & water the veg with it. Or collect in the kettle or a saucepan for later use.
    Use the milk tanker here for veg water, collect it in the lake or under the downpipe when it does rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

If you have a well then the hosepipe ban isn't aimed at you but be wary that in droughts your well can run dry. Happened to us on an out farm in Summer 2018 and it was a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

No drought here on the NW Atlantic coast we have our own mini climate. Only one brown patch in the garden where there's not much soil, 2012 / 2013 it was covered in patches. Good dash of rain yesterday evening, showers promised all day today again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Reading M.T 's forecast this morning and looks like there will be no need to worry about a drought for the rest of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Reading M.T 's forecast this morning and looks like there will be no need to worry about a drought for the rest of the month

We got enough rain last night to do us a month, i hope it doesn't stay too long

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

dePeatrick wrote: »
    I can always smell the rain coming sometimes as much as several hours beforehand, it is a very distinctive smell. Yer a gas man for knowing that :)

My son says it's not a thing where you can smell rain on the way. I say you definitely can. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had 4 mm today and 15mm in the last week. Still a bit to go.

My local farmer taking my hay won't be best pleased. He was too busy in the bog when the sun was shining :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

We got enough rain last night to do us a month, i hope it doesn't stay too long

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Where are you based?

North clare with bog behind me and the burren in front of me, fortunately this year is prime for the land i have, heavy rushy land with a few drier paddocks, a lot of years it could be July or August before id be able get in the gap with machinery, so the drier the better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nice bit of rain dueing the night. The noise of it woke me up. Badly needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

North clare with bog behind me and the burren in front of me, fortunately this year is prime for the land i have, heavy rushy land with a few drier paddocks, a lot of years it could be July or August before id be able get in the gap with machinery, so the drier the better for me

Didnt get any rain like that in West Clare! Parched

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lanod2407 wrote: »
    My son says it's not a thing where you can smell rain on the way. I say you definitely can. ðŸ‘
    You are right. Some gas or chemical gets released out of the soil before it rains heavy. People with sensitive shróns can pick up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You are right. Some gas or chemical gets released out of the soil before it rains heavy. People with sensitive shróns can pick up on it.
    People with arthritis seam to sense it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People with arthritis seam to sense it alright
    That's right, there is a change of pressure in the atmosphere that lets the gas rise up, I think that is what affects the old joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

lanod2407 wrote: »
    It's called Petrichor, thanks to a previous poster, it's not actually the smell of the rain but the smell of the effect rain has on the soil. Seems it activates microbes that produce an alcohol with a distinctive odour.

Definitely stronger some times than other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

dePeatrick wrote: »
    It's called Petrichor, thanks to a previous poster, it's not actually the smell of the rain but the smell of the effect rain has on the soil. Seems it activates microbes that produce an alcohol with a distinctive odour.

Definitely stronger some times than other times.

Does it smell a little like natural gas? I was near the gas tank here on Tuesday and was convinced that it was leaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Grueller wrote: »
    Does it smell a little like natural gas? I was near the gas tank here on Tuesday and was convinced that it was leaking.

Must be acid rain your smelling. It's kind of an earthy smell would be a good way to describe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

endainoz wrote: »
    Must be acid rain your smelling. It's kind of an earthy smell would be a good way to describe it.

AFAIK it's ozone gas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

AFAIK it's ozone gas

Or a fart

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Well the drought seems over in parts of the East for sure now with more unsettled weather to come. Its very unusual to see the bands of showers coming from a East/South East direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got around 30mm here across the last 4 nights, absolutely jackpot for us here, the south east also got some rain in early May that much of the Midlands/North leinster didn't get, so at the min its them areas in alot more trouble than us down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got around 30mm here across the last 4 nights, absolutely jackpot for us here, the south east also got some rain in early May that much of the Midlands/North leinster didn't get, so at the min its them areas in alot more trouble than us down here.

Midlands here and practically no rain yet. Place is burnt up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dunedin wrote: »
    Midlands here and practically no rain yet. Place is burnt up.
    Same here, we got a few drizzle showers and they didn't nearly wet the grass cause the strong wind was drying it as it fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Got a nice sup last night, 4 or 5 mls I'd say, that will keep the grass going for a week or two but we'll need that every week to keep the show on the road without silage being fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

massive downpours given for east and north milands tonight around 3-6 am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Dickie10 wrote: »
    massive downpours given for east and north milands tonight around 3-6 am

I'll believe it when i see it. Very little rain in my part of Cavan lately, the river that runs through my land has almost stopped flowing, have never seen anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Soil moisture deficits in the worst affected areas will continue to get worse in the short term.

This map shows the total rain forecast to next Wednesday.
    Most of the rain in eastern coastal counties and in west Munster.

The areas within the redline have been worst affected by the drought until now and while some rain is forecast, its still well below average.

And because there will be thundery showers you might get nothing while 10km up the road gets an inch from a downpour.

Signs are for more general rain towards next weekend, but as always that's too far away to be sure of yet.

Got half the bullocks away here and 60 lambs in the last fortnight.
    Should take some pressure off for now, but will be feeding bales for another week anyway.

Advertisement