Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭dmakc

Any hope of manure out for weekend. Need to coat the whole farm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

The year of the great drought of 2018 there was an estimated rise in Nitrogen use of 10%...why is the first port of call to spread more nitrogen?
    Same again now. Spread nitrogen, urea, slurry.

I presume it’s the usual Teagasc ‘cure-all’...spread a bag.

Ye know that 75% of the nitrogen is just polluting the environment, and in less than ideal circumstances it’s probably a lot more than that? Not to mention the wasted money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Advice is not to spread if in a drought and growth compromised tho? Totally location dependant. What growth are ye all experiencing?
    75 here last week with a good bit of ground coming back from being cut which would have lower initial growth rates. Following the cow's with 20 units protected urea + S after a round of cut sward last time. First cut done 15 may slurry out by dribble bar 4 days later fert the week after and will be grazing after grass the start of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Checked met Éireann yesterday morning and rain was promised Saturday and Sunday. It’s pushed out further into next week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

The year of the great drought of 2018 there was an estimated rise in Nitrogen use of 10%...why is the first port of call to spread more nitrogen?
    Same again now. Spread nitrogen, urea, slurry.

I presume it’s the usual Teagasc ‘cure-all’...spread a bag.

Ye know that 75% of the nitrogen is just polluting the environment, and in less than ideal circumstances it’s probably a lot more than that? Not to mention the wasted money.

Tweeting different this time round...kinda..

Advising this time that if no response from last round of fert...not to apply when the weather breaks.

Would lead to the same result though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We got a nice bit of rain last night. Was badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

What about a thread retitle to "Rain not too plenty since early 2020"?

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    Tweeting different this time round...kinda..

Advising this time that if no response from last round of fert...not to apply when the weather breaks.

Would lead to the same result though..

When water is the limiting factor, only water can solve the problem.
    If temperatures rise above 27.5*C perennial ryegrass will not grow. You can pour water (and fertiliser) onto it and it still won’t grow.

There’s absolutely no need to panic yet. It’s only early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

When water is the limiting factor, only water can solve the problem.
    If temperatures rise above 27.5*C perennial ryegrass will not grow. You can pour water (and fertiliser) onto it and it still won’t grow.

There’s absolutely no need to panic yet. It’s only early June.

Indeed, only early june. And your local friendly beef farmer, who is lightly stocked, will sell you zero grazed grass.... got my first call yesterday for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

drought will be a distant memory for most by this time Sunday with a plentiful supply of rain falling between today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭endainoz

drought will be a distant memory for most by this time Sunday with a plentiful supply of rain falling between today and tomorrow.

I doubt it, dosent look that plentiful to me. I like your optimism all the same but parts of the east and south east would certainly disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldn't be too sure about that, next week is looking completely dry now.

Had a really heavy shower of rain there for about 10 minutes. Slurry out on silage ground yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a really heavy shower of rain there for about 10 minutes. Slurry out on silage ground yesterday

It's very localised rain. Nothing in west cork. But a friend of mine had a heavy downpour in North cork this morning, while the next parish got nothing.
    Not exactly looking for it yet either. Grass growing away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Good mist and showers over last 48 hours but ground is like rock. North west cork.

Fields that had good cover growing very well.

Anything grazed in last 2 weeks is coming back but very light and big reduction in leaf, stalks for the next rotation.

I expect the last 48 hours will make a difference and ease pressure for next month but that's only mid July, when the drying often only because noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭visatorro

Nothing worth talking about here. Showers in locality missing me.

visatorro wrote: »
    Nothing worth talking about here. Showers in locality missing me.

Is it very windy with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nothing here but a cold wind the last 3 days has been doing more fecking drying. Will bale another bit that's too strong for grazing the start of the week and see from there. Won't be short as didn't fert silage ground dull amount for second cut so can graze if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

Couple of very light showers here that last less than 5 mins. Would just about wet the ground keeps the dust down though. . My grass seed are up though and the wbc so there must be something getting through to the soil.

Looks like a good amount due mid week now. Taken from the weather forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, there was supposed to be lots of rain yesterday and last night but there wasn't much. Those models are giving different predictions every day, it's hard to have much faith in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, there was supposed to be lots of rain yesterday and last night but there wasn't much. Those models are giving different predictions every day, it's hard to have much faith in them.

I’d have more faith in a priest than a weather forecaster at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had 0.4 mm yesterday and 3.6 today.

North kerry

tanko wrote: »

Such is the nature of long range forecasts, things change but when the different charts are starting to agree getting closer to the day it's much more likely. This is what's happening here, but yeah it's still a few days out.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058067257/9/#post113655886

All models are in agreement now, from Wednesday or so on it's looking fairly horrendous for the weather. Most of June could well be a write off now. Of course it could change again, but a fairly big break is on the way and before long we'll be longing for the sunshine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

endainoz wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058067257/9/#post113655886

All models are in agreement now, from Wednesday or so on it's looking fairly horrendous for the weather. Most of June could well be a write off now. Of course it could change again, but a fairly big break is on the way and before long we'll be longing for the sunshine again.

Ken Ring is correct yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Is it very windy with you?

Hat and jacket on this morning. I told the kids we'd try fly the kite this afternoon but it was windy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I turned the heating on for a hour when I came in from the yard. No rain as such here only a slight drizzle this afternoon for about 20 mins.

Base price wrote: »
    I turned the heating on for a hour when I came in from the yard. No rain as such here only a slight drizzle this afternoon for about 20 mins.
    Drizzle and very windy most of the day. Big change from last Saturday when it was 25 degrees and having a barbecue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ken Ring is correct yet again
    I took his advice and made hay when I'd say others waited for crop to thicken. Old adage make hay when the sun shines might just turn out to be true this year.

Advertisement