Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has actually saved money during the lockdown?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm terrified of the budget in October.

It'll be sooner than that and yes, me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

rahmalec wrote: »
    Lads, what kind of jobs do ye have, apart from those in essential jobs, that allows ye working from home, and is pretty secure in all of this?

I'm an accountant for a Nursing Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

I’m saving but I’d rather have normal life and NOT save

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I have saved about 600euro which I have paid down against my credit card and loan,
    I hope to clear the rest of the loan by the time I go back to work on a client site, currently working from home (software based role)

Big savings for me are not spending on cinema,nights out,eating out,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'm terrified of the budget in October.

With oil prices low, the room to whack us for carbon tax will be a super low-hanging fruit for them, especially if Eamon Ryan is anywhere near the levers of power. Expect to see a 8c hike.

While it doesn't seem much now, if oil rebounds later in the year or early 2021 to around €60 per barrel then €1.45 diesel and €1.61 petrol will be the norm with those extra taxes.

• Advertisement

I simply can't understand all of these people saying that they're saving more on creche bills than going to work.

For gods sake don't go to work if it only pays a creche!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I simply can't understand all of these people saying that they're saving more on creche bills than going to work.

Some people need to work for their mental health and sanity.

Also, the creche isn't forever. These kids go to school ect and parents have advanced their careers in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

pinkyeye wrote: »

So your telling those people that they should go on the dole and be a sponger then is it. That's the kind of attitude we don't need in this country anymore. The attitude that if you claim your dole you'll have a few more pound than if you worked. And for a lot of people they take the hit of years of creche fees so that their careers don't stagnate and they may be in a better position by the time they no longer have to pay creche fees. Very hard to get yourself back into the saddle and restart your career when the kids are old enough.

One way or the other there should be far more done in terms of childcare support for people who are contributing to society by getting up off their arsé and working and they shouldn't be penalized for doing it.

It's a shame you think honest and decent people are foolish for working for their crust.

I've saved a bit but less than I would have otherwise. :P My income is nearly halved on the COVID payment and I have to put aside some of that to pay the tax on it at some point in the future. I'm spending a good bit less than I was but I'm worse off than when I was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

deisedevil wrote: »
    So your telling those people that they should go on the dole and be a sponger then is it. That's the kind of attitude we don't need in this country anymore. The attitude that if you claim your dole you'll have a few more pound than if you worked. And for a lot of people they take the hit of years of creche fees so that their careers don't stagnate and they may be in a better position by the time they no longer have to pay creche fees. Very hard to get yourself back into the saddle and restart your career when the kids are old enough.

One way or the other there should be far more done in terms of childcare support for people who are contributing to society by getting up off their arsé and working and they shouldn't be penalized for doing it.

It's a shame you think honest and decent people are foolish for working for their crust.

They didn't encourage anyone to go sponging on the dole. They're saying to get a job that pays more than just the creche. Plenty of parents will make that choice because of the high cost of childcare, their partner can become the sole earner, they might change jobs or work from home. The dole is not the only option and if they've a partner who's earning it's probably not even an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Interesting thread that has me pondering our finances.

Haven't managed to save a cent more than normal. Still working full-time, travelling 500km over 4 days each week. Not getting any extra for being on site. Saving near nothing on fuel, still having my morning/evening coffee. Overtime has been banned since the lock-down came into effect, so down considerably from that. Missing the money, but loving the extra time at home.

Electricity is up due to washing machine constantly on the go, along with detergent, softener and the weekly shop all being up. Not getting away in the camper so I guess we're saving there, though I have been busy on eBay sourcing upgrades and doing some repairs.

I'd say nett, we're pretty much exactly as we were before all this madness hit. Could definitely be worse so counting our blessings for not seeing much change to the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've saved on evenings in the pub, takeaways (which were closed in NZ for 5 weeks) and getting lunch out during the week. I've saved more in the last 6 weeks than I had in probably 4 or 5 months before that. Really makes you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been spending much less but taken a 75% salary reduction so I'll be making a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I work in finance/accountancy, I have two jobs and am currently working from home in both. I think both are fairly secure but I wouldn't worry too much if either fell through, accountancy staff are always needed and I've a good CV behind me.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Work for a US multinational
    US multinational in IT. I used to work from home 3/5 days a week before all this.
    krissovo wrote: »
    US multinational in IT and worked from home for 9 years. 80% of the company work from home.
    Ballso wrote: »
    Working in tech for an Irish consultancy, no change to my job really except am not traveling into the offices/customer sites the couple of days a month I used to. There was a bit of a slowdown with our customers for the first few weeks while they sorted themselves out but back to BAU now.

As ever, ensuring you are in a highly skilled role working under modern working practices insulates you from this stuff. Was going to upgrade the car and go big on a holiday this year so am saving a lot on top of my normal savings.

OK thanks. That's roughly what I thought. I work(ed) in music and performing arts. I know that's seen as a precarious existence but I was doing well and making an OK living. I was definitely high skilled and actually first call in the country for certain things, but that doesn't help when the entire industry vanishes overnight! Social distancing is impossible in theatres because they barely break even as it is, so even if they're allowed open in August, they won't because they won't be able to cover their overheads without those packed shows like the Christmas panto.

I've already started retraining. I've a degree in a field known for being really difficult numerically (but years old) but I need to learn some IT skills. I've been learning python the last couple weeks and just finished a space invaders game :pac: If, in 6 months, things are bad, I will join the world of making rich people richer. :)

markfinn wrote: »
    In theory Data Analysis/Business Intel Analysis for a charity.
    In reality, Database admin, emergency IT support, Excel trainer and SQL competent guy for a charity.

Not feeling particularly secure right now mind you. You'll see a lot of Irish Charities hitting a wall in the next few weeks/two months.

Pieta was just the first of many.

I'm really sorry to hear that and didn't realise charities are having it so bad. Donated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Savings at the moment as no creche, travel, places to bring kids but have a 20 percent reduction in salary coming in June until who knows when so will probably end up even enough

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I think over time, if this lasts until August, I'll have saved some money in the round, but at the moment it's more or less on par with my usual outgoings.

I travelled a lot for work, and even when based in the office we had breakfast, lunch and snacks provided so I wasn't spending much on food -this has now increased by a decent chunk with working from home. Also had to get a new washing machine right as the lockdown was kicking off, and I've ramped up my donations too given I'm very lucky to still be in a job. Sadly I've also been doing a lot of online shopping for things I don't need, in a misguided attempt to give myself something to look forward to - I'm making a conscious effort to rein that in though.

The biggest saving for me will be if I can't go on holidays this year, and then little things like not renewing my Taxsaver ticket right away (my current one expires this month) and hopefully not having much in the way of heating costs later in the year after having filled up the oil tank a few weeks back. I really need to cop on and stop spending on crap I don't need, it's mad how much of a coping mechanism that is but I'm saving for a house deposit as a single applicant so if I get a handle on things now it would be a big help.

Dreading the budget this year though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I see a few posters mentioning VHI. They said their reduced rates are starting from mid May. If my payment is due out before then should I budget for a full payment this month, and a reduced rate from next month?

For those that are interested, my VHI payment was taken today and it was a full payment. The reduced rates don't kick in until after the 15th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Simdruid

So your telling those people that they should go on the dole and be a sponger then is it. That's the kind of attitude we don't need in this country anymore.

Hi!

Creche/afterschool was not much less than my wage, so I stopped working. I haven't tried to claim dole because I'm not available for work due to staying at home being a parent. It's a shame you think honest and decent people are sponging when they're not claiming a penny from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Simdruid wrote: »
    Hi!

Creche/afterschool was not much less than my wage, so I stopped working. I haven't tried to claim dole because I'm not available for work due to staying at home being a parent. It's a shame you think honest and decent people are sponging when they're not claiming a penny from the state.

I never said that anyone who wasn't claiming from the state was a sponger. That doesn't even make sense?

And good for you if you can stop working to mind the kids and still survive. Most people can't. They either have to keep working or go on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I never said that anyone who wasn't claiming from the state was a sponger. That doesn't even make sense?

And good for you if you can stop working to mind the kids and still survive. Most people can't. They either have to keep working or go on the dole.

It's a shame they can't. Two working parents drive up the price of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I suppose I'm saving money that I had planned to spend since all the festivals and gigs I wanted to go to this year are not happening.

I'm not making anywhere near my usual wage right now though so I'm actually putting away far less money into savings than I normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

INo access to cheap books now charity shops are closed so if it starts to rain I am ****** as I will definately buying books on Amazon if that happens & books are expensive!

Here you go - you might find a few books you like here for €2 from an Irish business:
    https://thebookshop.ie/all-2-euro-books/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Kids are better off being raised by their parents than strangers at a creche according to all available data. Loads of things aren't right about the system, I'd be more concerned about multi billion $$$ corporations not paying any tax than somebody claiming social welfare to give their children the better start

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

No fuel costs, no eating out, pints etc. No costs entertaining the kids. I'm saving about 70% of salary on the last 3 pay cheques.

I'll definitely not be eating out or frequenting pubs as much as I did before. Waste of money.

Where on earth did I say to sponge off the welfare? If a job is paying less than a creche then it's actually costing you money. So staying at home saves money, no need for welfare.

And children benefit from a parent rearing them rather than a childcare worker on minimum wage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

StefanFal wrote: »
    No fuel costs, no eating out, pints etc. No costs entertaining the kids. I'm saving about 70% of salary on the last 3 pay cheques.

I'll definitely not be eating out or frequenting pubs as much as I did before. Waste of money.

And spending feck all on petrol or diesel or public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Kids are better off being raised by their parents than strangers at a creche according to all available data. Loads of things aren't right about the system, I'd be more concerned about multi billion $$$ corporations not paying any tax than somebody claiming social welfare to give their children the better start

Well call me old fashioned but for me, the best start in life is for children to see their parent/parents going out to work and earning their food on the table, as well as paying for the food on the table of the social welfare recipient!

Advertisement