Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has actually saved money during the lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

markfinn wrote: »
    Anyone know how to claim tax back on kettle based electric usage for all the Work Required Tea making?

Pretty sure that's clocking up more than the PC and Lights.

Buy a flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

In theory Data Analysis/Business Intel Analysis for a charity.
    In reality, Database admin, emergency IT support, Excel trainer and SQL competent guy for a charity.

Not feeling particularly secure right now mind you. You'll see a lot of Irish Charities hitting a wall in the next few weeks/two months.

Pieta was just the first of many.

Very sorry to read that.

I hadn't realised they were in such a bad way.

Just looked it up there and an ad came on the radio.

Have sent on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Buy a flask.

And fill it with cold water

And fill it with cold water
    Or boil full kette of water, fill flask and use flask to make several cups of tea throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Saving 500eur per month on creche (but losing our sanity), about 50eur on fuel, 70eur on gym membership for two, and couple more hundred on other shopping rather than food. I get 10% on top of wages, my oh 50%. Our household is normally run on two weeks wages of both of us, now one week's two wages covers it all, and the rest is going into savings, pensions, investments. We're hoping for some sort of economic downturn in next two years, so we could buy another house and move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Saved a bit and spent it on new hifi gear. Some good sounds are taking the edge off isolation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Coralcoras

We bought 700e worth of tech to enable online teaching (secondary level). Saved on coffees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I should be saving money as im an essential worker. unfortunately bad stuff keeps happening with my ****ing car in the last month. I have had to bring it to the garage twice. its not a banger either.

j@utis wrote: »
    We're hoping for some sort of economic downturn in next two years, so we could buy another house and move.

You'll get your wish, sadly many will end or loose their lives as a result of an economic downturn as happened the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I see a few posters mentioning VHI. They said their reduced rates are starting from mid May. If my payment is due out before then should I budget for a full payment this month, and a reduced rate from next month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Laya giving a small refund on policies. Split into three amounts. Got €65 back last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Anyone know how to claim tax back on kettle based electric usage for all the Work Required Tea making?

Pretty sure that's clocking up more than the PC and Lights.

Think there is a working from home tax credit that works out around €3.20 per day. It covers electrical usage for work laptops, lighting and heating, etc...

Danno wrote: »
    Think there is a working from home tax credit that works out around €3.20 per day. It covers electrical usage for work laptops, lighting and heating, etc...

Your company can pay up to €3.20 per day tax free- it’s entirely optional though from their side

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,
    Its lovely to see that you are all saving so much money during lockdown.
    You see how lucky you can be even in the hard times.
    Please keep it up and keep saving. You'll need it in come the budget.

Yours Sincerely,
    Paschal Donohoe.

Do you think you could speak up at cabinet and face down the virtue signallers in charge? They will break the country

Or boil full kette of water, fill flask and use flask to make several cups of tea throughout the day.

Or boil a cup full every time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Danno wrote: »

Does that not go to your employer? Or at least I think they have to apply for it?

Does that not go to your employer? Or at least I think they have to apply for it?

Yeah I literally looked that up this second - it is up to your employer to apply for it I think

road_high wrote: »
    Do you think you could speak up at cabinet and face down the virtue signallers in charge? They will break the country

Nope.
    I will be taking it out of all middle income workers wages who still had jobs during the covid crisis.

Regards,
    Paschal.

No your employer pays it from their coffers. Up to €3.20 it’s tax free

Nope.
    I will be taking it out of all middle income workers wages who still had jobs during the covid crisis.

Regards,
    Paschal.

Including the nurses and medical staff you were clapping and lighting candles for?

• Advertisement

Including the nurses and medical staff you were clapping and lighting candles for?

I will leave them alone for a year or so until this all blows over, then i'll get it back from them afterwards.
    But its the middles income workers who im gunning for first.

Regards,
    Paschal

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I'm a healthcare worker
    i'm saving money all right
    even if i do get to go out, which i don't, there is no where to go and nothing to do
    and a long walk is too tiring ! so yeah, i'm saving money.

but my head is wrecked............
    and sure pascal will get me in the end if covid doesn't...,,,,,,....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Yep, I'm not going anywhere so I'm saving money on petrol, coffees, bookies, events etc. It all adds up.

But surely not been able to get to the bookies means your down money on all your winnings........no..........is that not the case:eek:

Why else would you go to the bookies, if not to fleece them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Paschal will be coming for us all.

The upper limit of borrowing capacity is 250% of GDP, higher with some hustling. Last year we were at 60%.

Taxpayers can take between 10-30% hit on income ( enough to pay borrowing interest )

Plenty of painful wiggle room before things get really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Biker79 wrote: »
    Pascal will be coming for us all.

The upper limit of borrowing capacity is 250% of GDP, higher with some hustling. Last year we were at 60%.

Taxpayers can take between 10-30% hit on income ( enough to pay borrowing interest )

Plenty of painful wiggle room before things go really bad.

most of those loans are at extremely low interest rates, some negative, the principle could be rolled over indefinitely for decades, as long as its serviced, the planet wont implode, and there wont be any need for tax hikes in order to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I lost 3 different sources of income directly because of the covid -19 so things are tight but not impossible and had been living frugally in anticipation of a jobchange before this.

-Lx and Heat up - no point in sitting in the dark or having cold showers!
    -Phone bill up considerably - some people can’t skype/zoom/whats app and no point in expanding the misery
    -Grocerys up considerably as don’t want the risk of shopping in high volume places that don’t open their windows/ firesoors to vent air in like Lidl/Aldi/Supervalue etc and discount section now a thing of the past
    -Funeral bill which contained services not provided due to Covid-19 restrictions and trickery invoicing that didn’t add up but am currently too involved and upset about to protest (yet)

- Petrol down about e40 a week
    - Decided to stay mostly off the drink for the duration so that saved : )
    -Gym shut down so e80 a month saved
    - No more occasional pizzas due to risk of death!

No access to cheap books now charity shops are closed so if it starts to rain I am ****** as I will definately buying books on Amazon if that happens & books are expensive!

Overall I am considerably financially down but apart from the impending death, threat of financial ruin and global unpredictable misery and fear of no holidays arm managing and looking firward to having stay at hime job in the future and continuing my no annonying humans existance!

Have refused to work for free for evil ex boss and also refused to work for cash for evil ex boss on the grounds that his high risk job and bull**** behaviour is a low reward for my health and sitting in the garden happiness. F’ing him over has been one of my greatest non cash covid assets and accomplishments and he is an absolute moneywhore and it will kill him that he cannot exploit and profit (via me) from this crisis.

Overall Mostly Poor but Happy : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Of course he'll come after them, it's a source of guaranteed tax revenue for the State. Why wouldn't additional taxes be applied to those guaranteed to be in a position to pay it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. Not managed to save anything other than usual amount.
    Still working and happy out but our costs haven't changed.
    Still, alive , well and to the misery of some, as vocal as ever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,028 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have and I haven't

Still buying the odd snacks/cans/takeaways, online shopping is also a massive temptation

Suppose not having concerts/matches I'm saving a bit but then again I will be putting that money to the side for the rescheduled date etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm terrified of the budget in October.

Advertisement