Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AntiBody Testing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Just got the test done this morning. Took 15 minutes.
    It’s the Abbott test and if positive for antibodies it’s 100%. There are 5% false negatives.

Will have results in a few days. Here’s hoping for a positive.

How much did they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It’s the Abbott test and if positive for antibodies it’s 100%. There are 5% false negatives.

I would assume that is a lab based test if you get the result in a couple of days, did they take a blood sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

How much did they charge?

€80
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I would assume that is a lab based test if you get the result in a couple of days, did they take a blood sample?

Yes correct.
    The Abbott tests they are offering have the CE stamp and are being used in the UK. They told me they are recognised in Ireland and will provide an 'Immunity certificate' if such things become approved.
    I believe they send them off to a Lab in the UK to get the results.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/product-and-innovation/an-update-on-abbotts-work-on-COVID-19-testing.html

€80

Yes correct.
    The Abbott tests they are offering have the CE stamp and are being used in the UK. They told me they are recognised in Ireland and will provide an 'Immunity certificate' if such things become approved.
    I believe they send them off to a Lab in the UK to get the results.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/product-and-innovation/an-update-on-abbotts-work-on-COVID-19-testing.html

They are run on a Architect or Alinity, that is only IgG where as the Roche Electsys test is a total antibody test.

At least it not one of those 15 min disposable toy tests you get out of a €1 lucky bag.

I would take the CE mark with a pinch of salt, that only means its safe and it wont hurt you or harm the environment it does not endorse the actual effectiveness of a device like the FDA does.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    They are run on a Architect or Alinity, tha'ts its only IgG where as the Roche Electsys test is a total antibody test.

I would take the CE mark with a pinch of salt, that only means its safe and it wont hurt you or harm the environment it does not endorse the actual effectiveness of a device like the FDA does.

It’s a lab based blood test and if the result come back positive for Antibodies it is 100% correct.

The only draw back is false negatives, not false positives.

• Advertisement

It’s a lab based blood test and if the result come back positive for Antibodies it is 100% correct.

The only draw back is false negatives, not false positives.

yeah I fully understand how it works, I used to pull those instruments apart and put them back together for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Can I just ask did they take blood via finger prick test or via needle- thank you and I hope you get the result you’re hoping for!

I was being sent for a test as well back in March but mine was cancelled as criteria changed that fever was needed which I didn’t have or ever did have

I went to my GP at the end of Feb with chest tightness. My GP said he thought it was probably a viral infection as my husband and all of my children had been to see him over Feb with very bad coughs (no other symptoms) and the GP said he assumed that I just picked up the tail end of whatever it was they had. Over Feb and March I had to take 3 different courses of oral steroids

I have mild asthma but this was something I had never experienced before; one night I didn’t sleep at all and literally had to spend the whole night sitting up trying to breathe and really did consider ringing an ambulance for myself; the pains out my lungs were intense but with my asthma I would experience muscle pain a lot in my chest area what was truly awful was the burning sensation in my lungs but they didn’t start until weeks after the chest tightness and breathing difficulties. If anyone has ever had a chest ct scan that heat when they inject the dye is the only way I could describe the burning in my lungs as and it came from nowhere. One night I was watching tv with my husband and suddenly my lungs were burning and my heart was pounding...it lasted about 30mins then stopped. This happened a few times over the weeks.

I was so exhausted up until 2 weeks ago I would still without fail fall asleep on the couch during the day despite sleeping well the night before
    Now I appreciate that this could all be psychosomatic and all in my head; I never had a temp/ cough or loss of smell etc...my chest still feels tight at times so I bought an oximeter to measure my blood oxygen levels and every time I had the chest tightness I would check with the oximeter but my sats would be 99%

I would still be interested in getting a reliable antibody test to see

Can I just ask did they take blood via finger prick test or via needle- thank you and I hope you get the result you’re hoping for!

I was being sent for a test as well back in March but mine was cancelled as criteria changed that fever was needed which I didn’t have or ever did have

No they took blood from my arm with a needle.

I had my test cancelled in March too when they had a backlog. Nothing to do with Symptoms, I just didn't fit into the Vulnerable or Priority groups for testing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

No they took blood from my arm with a needle.

Wow! I have to say I was very suspicious of the service they'd provide considering how many of the UK clinics are charging more for the postal fingerprick tests. Hopefully your result won't take too long. Some UK labs had being reporting a backlog due to massive demand but now that they are being told not to even do the fingerprick samples which were making up a huge amount of the tests, that will hopefully speed things up for you.

iguana wrote: »
    Wow! I have to say I was very suspicious of the service they'd provide considering how many of the UK clinics are charging more for the postal fingerprick tests. Hopefully your result won't take too long. Some UK labs had being reporting a backlog due to massive demand but now that they are being told not to even do the fingerprick samples which were making up a huge amount of the tests, that will hopefully speed things up for you.

They seemed certain I'd have a result by Monday, normally 24-48 hours. Maybe they have a lab here in Ireland doing the testing.

I see another Irish company are also offering the same test
    http://travelhealth.ie/CoronaVirusInformation/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-cDg8t7W6QIVjLTtCh0UDwGmEAAYASAAEgIG6vD_BwE

• Advertisement

I can report I got my results back this evening already.
    They are processed in a lab in Sandyford.

Unfortunately for me, Negative.

I can report I got my results back this evening already.
    They are processed in a lab in Sandyford.

Unfortunately for me, Negative.

Probably Eurofin or maybe Medlab, makes sense as they use Abbott.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone know where the more reliable ones can be got now?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just booked the Anti-body test with the TMB in Dunlaogahire for Thursday.
    Will report back

Price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Polar101

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Price?

Check out post #34.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi all,

I just googled antibody testing to see when it is available and found this, to be honest I dont think I would trust it maybe it's ok?

https://www.cerascreen.ie/products/coronavirus-antibody-test?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqqaS_6j66QIVx5rVCh1sEwJpEAAYASAAEgKLgvD_BwE

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

I am getting tested via the Abbott method tomorrow but it doesn't appear to be 100% any other methods available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

stevek93 wrote: »
    I am getting tested via the Abbott method tomorrow but it doesn't appear to be 100% any other methods available?

Nothing at the moment is 100% unless you have a BSL-3 lab and the scientists to utilise it (like isolating memory B cells and CD8+ T cells).

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.09.20124719v1

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Nothing at the moment is 100% unless you have a BSL-3 lab and the scientists to utilise it (like isolating memory B cells and CD8+ T cells).

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.09.20124719v1

So if I get a positive it might be a false positive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

stevek93 wrote: »
    So if I get a positive it might be a false positive?

Nope, false negative. The tests have a sensitivity problem. Specificity has been ironed out at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

stevek93 wrote:
    I just googled antibody testing to see when it is available and found this, to be honest I dont think I would trust it maybe it's ok?
    stevek93 wrote:

No test is 100% accurate. Thats just the nature of diagnostic tests.

I hope you didnt buy that cerascreen test. Looks like an unreliable money racket.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The tests available any where in the world to the public right now are antibody tests. It's starting to appear as if not everyone produces detectable levels of antibodies and the changes from the T-cell response are more universal. So there is very likely a high level of false negatives. If you do the test and get a positive it's probably correct. If you get a negative result all it means is that you don't have detectable levels of antibodies, not necessarily that you didn't have Covid.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Nope, false negative. The tests have a sensitivity problem. Specificity has been ironed out at this point.

Ok thanks Ill still get it done and see what the outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Got it done at my local gp €90

No antibodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

Anybody have an experience or opinion on this antibody testing? https://www.tmb.ie/coronavirus-antibody-test My wife is looking to get it done next week. €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Anybody have an experience or opinion on this antibody testing? https://www.tmb.ie/coronavirus-antibody-test My is looking to get it done next week. €80.

When was she ill?

Thierry12 wrote: »
    When was she ill?

March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

March.

Wasting her time

Will test negative

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »