Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Permanent Job Losses Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

GazzaL wrote: »
    Thanks Leo. Thanks Tony.

This post is so stupid its hard to quantify it. Where exactly are aer lingus and ryanair supposed to fly to even if the government lifted all restrictions in the morning.

It does lay bare the lack of thinking you're putting in to your posts however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

threeball wrote: »

To be fair to the OP, I do not believe that they are an adult.

Perhaps a sub-forum for kids to post in could be a good idea? Serious suggestion. Kind of like the kids table etc.?

skallywag wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, I do not believe that they are an adult.

Perhaps a sun forum for kids to post in could be a good idea? Serious suggestion. Kind of like the kids table etc.?

Certainly seems that way. The ability to think through a scenario before lashing out at someone is pretty evident.

On a side note, its quite worrying how dispensible some people seem to find the older generation. If it was hitting kids at the same percentages people wouldnt even want to go to the shop for fear of bringing it home. Older people, meh, bring back longitude, i need to be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

This post is so stupid its hard to quantify it. Where exactly are aer lingus and ryanair supposed to fly to even if the government lifted all restrictions in the morning.

Rather than address the broad nature of my post and the thread as a whole, you just focus in on airlines and try to insult me? Between the numbers of jobs losses and the numbers of people who are in denial that come on here to try to deflect from reality, this thread will be busy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

uli84 wrote: »
    I’m sure they do, in my sons there are 13 kids in google classroom- a book is read to them once a day and 1 vague task given like draw/write what you’ve done today. This is 1st class (!)
    Your child's teacher could be dealing with their own issues, but I would recommend that you mention it to the teacher in question if the lessons are not beneficial instead of anonymously complaining. Teachers are being paid and the workload is x10 because of constant phonecalls, video calls and planning and delivery of lessons in new ways.

Sack the teachers, is that your idea?

• Advertisement

Rather than address the broad nature of my post and the thread as a whole, you just focus in on airlines and try to insult me? Between the numbers of jobs losses and the numbers of people who are in denial that come on here to try to deflect from reality, this thread will be busy!

When you post something as stupid as that its hard to take anything else seriously. I'd rather open up in a controlled manner, evidence based rather than a kneejerk rush back to normality where we get an immediate second wave and you can write off 2020 as the lost year.

When you post something as stupid as that its hard to take anything else seriously. I'd rather open up in a controlled manner, evidence based rather than a kneejerk rush back to normality where we get an immediate second wave and you can write off 2020 as the lost year.

Again with the insults. There's absolutely no need for it.

I'd rather we open up in a controlled, progressive manner. There are many businesses that are ready to open on Tuesday having put in place hand sanitiser, PPE, social distancing plans and so on. Some of them are being told they'll have to wait until August, at which point they may no longer able to open. We can write off half of the next decade thanks to the economic carnage that the current plan will bring. We are the laggards of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Again with the insults. There's absolutely no need for it.

I'd rather we open up in a controlled, progressive manner. There are many businesses that are ready to open on Tuesday having put in place hand sanitiser, PPE, social distancing plans and so on. Some of them are being told they'll have to wait until August, at which point they may no longer able to open. We can write off half of the next decade thanks to the economic carnage that the current plan will bring. We are the laggards of Europe.

The guy who told the HSE to get fcuked a while back is now telling others there is no need for insults.

You are a gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Again with the insults. There's absolutely no need for it

Perhaps try to post in a less immature way than just 'Thanks Leo, Thanks Tony', etc.?

If you want to bring something to the table, then by all means do. You need to grow up a bit first though with respect to the content of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly the thing to realise with this is that we aren't the only ones affected by this, it's happening across the board in every major country, as much as the lock-down sucks it's necessesary to prevent widespread deaths and a repeat of what happened in italy I mean for crying out loud it got so bad they were carting the dead away in military trucks such was the scale of the deaths. Make no mistake they did the right thing, job losses are inevitable but temporary, you kick the bucket its game over end of story.

It should be said that thing's will recover eventually and no doubt there will be head's at the top looking at way's of helping once this is over, they're not stupid they know the damage the recession caused both politically and economically and they wont have a repeat of that, rather they'll look at getting people back to work and preserving as many businesses as possible.

• Advertisement

I see that the "STAY THE **** AT HOME!" brigade are now calling out the "greedy", "disgraceful" commercial landlords for continuing to charge rents and asking for them to be named and shamed!

These people are away with the fairies. Businesses still have to pay their bills. Landlords still have to pay their bills. Everyone has obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I see that the "STAY THE **** AT HOME!" brigade are now calling out the "greedy", "disgraceful" commercial landlords for continuing to charge rents and asking for them to be named and shamed!

These people are away with the fairies. Businesses still have to pay their bills. Landlords still have to pay their bills. Everyone has obligations.
    This is getting tiresome.
    There is no stay at home brigade. Its fairly obvious who the people are that are away with the fairies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That's a shame. It was big part of Grafton street

Keep in mind though, many places that don't re-open or go out of business weren't in great financial shape to begin with. See:Debenhams and their owner's $600 Million debt before any of this started

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's a shame. It was big part of Grafton street

Keep in mind though, many places that don't re-open or go out of business weren't in great financial shape to begin with. See:Debenhams and their owner's $600 Million debt before any of this started

And lots of businesses would be like that- just about surviving. This enforced closure for months on end is pushing them under

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The €1.5million rent, rates etc would make it hard to survive even in a healthy economy, the real shame is the building will likely be idol for a number of years where owner will try to get comparable rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

road_high wrote: »
    And lots of businesses would be like that- just about surviving. This enforced closure for months on end is pushing them under

If they where "just about surviving" with the economy we've had the last few years then it was only a matter of time before they went under anyway.

No. Ireland's greedy bástard commercial property landlords are pushing them under

The restrictions just expedited the inevitable for many businesses

M

No. Ireland's greedy bástard commercial property landlords are pushing them under

He seems to be enjoying himself...

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1258141176395431940
    https://twitter.com/soundmigration/status/1258142928993751040

If you have no revenue for months on end then of course you’re pushed under. This is a direct consequence of the draconian and now dragged out beyond belief lockdown.
    Said the price tag was going to be heavy, gives me no pleasure in seeing that come about now. People’s lives and livelihoods we are talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The €1.5million rent, rates etc would make it hard to survive even in a healthy economy, the real shame is the building will likely be idol for a number of years where owner will try to get comparable rent.

Pardon my ignorance thought they closed during the recession?

To thine own self be true

If they where "just about surviving" with the economy we've had the last few years then it was only a matter of time before they went under anyway.

If only super profitable business were to survive then I can tell you we’d have a very high unemployment rate (like now).

M

Pardon my ignorance thought they closed during the recession?

They are but announced tonight they are permanently closing.

If you have no revenue for months on end then of course you’re pushed under. This is a direct consequence of the draconian and now dragged out beyond belief lockdown.
    Said the price tag was going to be heavy, gives me no pleasure in seeing that come about now. People’s lives and livelihoods we are talking about

I'm not getting into it with another "Lift The Restrictions!" fan

Yous don't derserve a well thought out reply, you probably couldn't understand it even if we gave you one

So I'll leave this here instead

d995ag35xpr41.jpg

I'm not getting into it with another "Lift The Restrictions!" fan

Yous don't derserve a well thought out reply, you probably couldn't understand it even if we gave you one

So I'll leave this here instead

d995ag35xpr41.jpg

But you put up your recycled reply anyhow- well done you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Feel a bit sick to in my stomach after seeing Johnny Ronan mocking the Covid 19 on his holidays in South Africa.

Fair enough Johnny, mock away, your properties on Grafton St and elsewhere will be worth **** all if iconic brands like Bewleys are let slide under. After all it is such authentic well built brands that add to the character and charm of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They are but announced tonight they are permanently closing.

So they closed for a while during recession? I just assumed they never reopened.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That Ronan lad looks like an awful tool

Should be bust. Bailed out by the taxpayer and here he is laughing and swilling champagne during a Pandemic as people die at home.

**** these weasels, too soft as a nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

fits wrote: »
    I’d rather weather the financial storm for a year or two than be dead.

Freedom from Corona virus won't feed your children

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement