Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chips?

Options
124»

Comments

Homelander wrote: »
    Can't believe someone in this thread said Burger King have the best chips in Ireland.

they have to be the worst chips in Ireland.

Anywhere that does really good batter deep fired chipper fish, tends to do good chips too- which unfortunately isn't too many places- and i wouldn't count any of the Italian takeaways I've experienced in Ireland as places that do good fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

harr wrote: »
    Your just not getting them in the right place find a good Italian chipper that do the chips in beef dripping ...then into a brown bag and soak in brown vinegar and lashings of salt .. close the bag for about 3 minutes then consume on fresh white bread with a thick layer of kerrygold ( room temperature) ... ketchup is optional but the melting butter is only sauce I need... sounds like a recipe for a heart attack..

I've tried them in a few places and always the same result. Beef dripping...god I haven't seen that since I was a child when my mother used to get it from the local butcher.

I can have a few if they're from a good chipper, but not a whole bag.

To me bread and butter doesn't go together with chips and I'm watching my cholesterol anyway, so real butter is saved as a rare treat on homemade soda bread and scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Anyone got any tips for making chipper chips at home. What potatoes, how long to cook them for etc? I really miss them and even bought a deep fat fryer but they just aren't the same :(

I always look forward to chipper and Chinese whenever I go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

Only read the op..

I like chips. They're a nice compliment to a meal.

Im weird with chips though...

.Chipper chips - loads of salt and vinegar, no ketchup, like curry sauce sometimes though not essential

.Mac Donald's fries/ fast food fries - add salt, no ketchup, no additional sauce

.Oven chips - can't have salt on them, must have ketchup. Might have curry sauce but wouldn't go out my way to make it

.Homemade fried chips - no salt, would have to have some ketchup

.Fried potatoes/basically chips - just salt, nothing else

.Chips from the Chinese - I actually like these with ketchup also or Chinese curry sauce, no salt or vinegar

.Retaurant/steakhouse chips - just ketchup, don't like salt on these or vinegar

So they are only really a side but a versatile and important one and I'm fussy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it's all dependant on where you're from. I love a good bag of chipper chips, and yes, the "white soggy ones". Just cooked enough to nearly be considered still spud and not chip. Drowned in saltandvinegar. Banging. And I've tried chippers in most counties, and it's still the local city ones that are the best, and for me that's Limerick. Enzo's and Donkey Fords are top of the list in Limerick for me, closely followed by Luigi's but they don't take card so I don't go there.

Tried the famous Lennox's in Cork once, didn't think much of it tbh. But it's nearly gospel down there, so all a part of where you were brought up. Also, can't imagine a bag of chipper chips being crispy... Does not compute. And I love all chips anyway, McDonalds being the best 'fast food' chips (Burgerking used to be King of the chips until they changed them a good few years ago). Supermacs are the best of the notshoestringbutstillthinandfrozen chips. And I even like the chape frozen ones in spice bags from the local Chinese, but i'm not allowed to get them any more as my mother is a little bit racist since the lock down.

But there is a new King of skinny chips in Limerick, and that's Chippy Chicken. Home made shoestring chips (with the skins). They are amazing, and they're open now again so yurt!

• Advertisement
Advertisement