Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chips?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Aldi sells these. They are by far the best oven chips I’ve tried. They come almost fully cooked in beef dripping, and you just throw them into a very hot oven to crisp up.

97-FF6-ACF-ADF6-4705-AE80-1-D368588-C7-BC.jpg
    Alexa, add Walls Honest Chips to my shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I wouldn't be a huge fans of chipper chips, so I order 2 battered sausages, a cheese burger, and a can of coke after the pub. They tend to fire in a shovel of chips into the top of the bag anyways.
    Good trick. Batter burger. 2 sausages and enough chips to keep me happy are thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I love batter sausages, chicken balls, steak, Salmon, Pulled pork, Chocolate, cake, Biscuits, Pizza but none of these taste as good as chips, every meal in the world can be improved with a side order of chips added to it and chips and curry sauce is one of the best pleasures the world has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I can't remember the last time I had a takeaway. :(

I miss Irish takeaway chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I miss Irish takeaway chips.

Me too. For all the sh!te we're subjected to about classic traditional English fish and chips, in 10 years I've still had nothing near the quality of a handful of places I could name back home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Oven chips can feck off with themselves

I started doing these by using the roast potato method in chip form. Cut them chunky enough, Par boil then coat in oil and a cheeky knob of butter and cook in the oven for 30 mins until crispy and they are the business. Honestly nicer than the chipper.

Still heart attacky but great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Can't stomach them at all. Why are they so popular here?

Jesus, you’re lucky you aren’t in Belgium. They’re being asked to double up on their chip consumption.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6877112/coronavirus-potatoes-fries-belgians/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Jesus, you’re lucky you aren’t in Belgium. They’re being asked to double up on their chip consumption.

*makes note to visit Belgium at first available opportunity*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You can't beat proper chipper chips with batch bread and butter.

And a large batter burger or a steak and kidney pie. Or a fresh cod. Or better still a dinner box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Belgian chips are the business, alright.
    They aren't better because they are twice fried - the vast majority of fresh cut chips are twice fried. They are better because they are cut a bit thinner and the second frying is in hotter oil and until they are properly crisped.

Some chippers here do decent chips but many don't take pride and/or don't have the patience to wait for the chips to cook properly. If a chipper is quiet and you ask for crispy, you'll often get them cooked a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I love chips, and I know its preference to what people like, but my opinion is that mcdonalds/kfc/burger king etc are not really chips, there sh¡te. Anything thing calling itself a chip that comes out off an oven (real not fu¢king frozen roast potatoes should come out of oven) is sh¡te. Anything that says chips that comes out of a freezer is sh¡te. Chips are chipper food, there are a lot of crap chippers around, but there are some great chippers. Alexi chipper in beaumont beautiful chips ( out of my travel area at the moment) savoy on the N C Rd does a lovely chip. Oh anything out of a chip van is Sh¡te too. Burdocks is famous in dublin for there fish and chips but to be honest I find it a bag of grease. Home made chips from real potatoes just don't have that same taste, it not the salt and vinegar that does it. So I'd suggest instead of doing chips do scallops georgeous if done right. Oh i've lived in england there are some chippers who do good stuff and some who do gank chips as well. What I found about england is you always got bigger portions. I do love good chips though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is it the Belgians who are credited with putting mayonnaise on the chips first?
    mmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Used to love chips, either on their own, lashings of salt, or with either fish, sausages, and beans or peas on the side, but unfortunately, seemed to go off them. Must have got a few bad ones along the way somewhere.

Do still eat them, but find they are so much nicer now between two slices of buttery bread, or under some curry or taco sauce. Bonus points if a nice piece of fish, pizza, kebab, or a chunky chicken burger is on the side.

Recently have been eating sweet potato fries, very tasty. Although can be difficult to get them right, finding the balance between over crispy, and under crispy can be a challenge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In the USA, chips are called French Fries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Loved chips. Poncharelo was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And before someone trots out the usual nonsense, like them or loathe them, McDonald's chips are chipped from real potatoes and fried.

The are not artificial potato and they are not reconstituted from powdered potato.

No fan or McDonald's but I hate the untruths pedalled about their chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

SuperMacs chips are nice as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Daddy or Chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

anewme wrote: »
    Daddy or Chips?

Chhhiiippps..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Daddy or Chips?

Chips. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Daddy or Chips?

Chhhiiips..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

And before someone trots out the usual nonsense, like them or loathe them, McDonald's chips are chipped from real potatoes and fried.

The are not artificial potato and they are not reconstituted from powdered potato.

No fan or McDonald's but I hate the untruths pedalled about their chips.

Mcdonalds in HK have these sachets of honey BBQ seasoning that you sprinkle over the chips in a separate bag and then shake the bag. it's seriously good like a mix between and chip and a crisp. Don't know if they have introduced this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

branie2 wrote: »
    In the USA, chips are called French Fries

These guys would disagree with you:

chips-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Deja Boo wrote: »
    *makes note to visit Belgium at first available opportunity*

I’ve only been to Brussels, but it’s brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Aldi sells these. They are by far the best oven chips I’ve tried. They come almost fully cooked in beef dripping, and you just throw them into a very hot oven to crisp up.

97-FF6-ACF-ADF6-4705-AE80-1-D368588-C7-BC.jpg

thanks for the heads up - finally got some from the local aldi today and they were delicious. As close to proper chipper chips as can be done at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Brennan's bread, dairygold butter and a bag of hot salty vinegar laden chips. Oh that's heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Brennan's bread, dairygold real butter and a bag of hot salty vinegar laden chips. Oh that's heaven.

sacrebleu - dairygol is not ze butter! Kerrygol is ze butter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Charlie19 wrote: »
    You can't beat proper chipper chips with batch bread and butter.
    Brennan's bread, dairygold butter and a bag of hot salty vinegar laden chips. Oh that's heaven.

Sounds disgusting to me, sorry. All of it.
    Can't eat chipper chips. They lay in my stomach like a big undigested greasy lump for hours. Must be the oil they use because I've made them myself with some olive oil and no such problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Greentopia wrote: »
    Sounds disgusting to me, sorry. All of it.
    Can't eat chipper chips. They lay in my stomach like a big undigested greasy lump for hours. Must be the oil they use because I've made them myself with some olive oil and no such problem.
    Your just not getting them in the right place find a good Italian chipper that do the chips in beef dripping ...then into a brown bag and soak in brown vinegar and lashings of salt .. close the bag for about 3 minutes then consume on fresh white bread with a thick layer of kerrygold ( room temperature) ... ketchup is optional but the melting butter is only sauce I need... sounds like a recipe for a heart attack..

Advertisement