Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've never been in a riot. I never will be in a riot. Riot's are happening. I'm not condoning them. We live in an age where everyone has cameras. It's incredible that it's possible to view these event like this. This guy couldn't go on his planned holiday so he decided to be a tourist in a riot instead. If you don't find that fascinating on any level, I can't help you. Of course context is important. But this filmmaker choose to leave it out entirely. There's no political message. Just raw chaos. This is what it's like to be in a riot. Whatever little commentary is showing the futility and stupidity of it all. I'm glad film makers are out there doing this.

Unfortunately, by making that video he hasn't. He's only videoing the looting, omitting everything that led to this and the other aspects of the riots. In this day and age that's a statement in itself, and for sure it's political. Even if he didn't mean it to be, it will be made so.

Don't get me wrong, it is fascinating. It's utterly surreal and bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched this whole thing. Mental. Really well edited.

Nursing a very bad hangover yesterday I watched a few more of his videos. Mad. Spends 30 days visiting places (Europe, Japan etc), sleeping in woods, eats barely anything and the total cost including flights comes in about a thousand dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Synode wrote: »
    Nursing a very bad hangover yesterday I watched a few more of his videos. Mad. Spends 30 days visiting places (Europe, Japan etc), sleeping in woods, eats barely anything and the total cost including flights comes in about a thousand dollars.

What an entirely dislikable individual, right down to the odour I'm sure he bestows to those near-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/53060840

I have gotten irrationally annoyed reading this. You're about 4 years late you asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The revelations in John Bolton's book coming out in the NYT are almost an anti-climax since we're almost inured to Trump's doings at this stage. I think the Guardian has some of the extracts if anyone is interested.

But this, this is highly unusual. Could be a game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I never realised Kellyann Conway's husband was the guy behind the Lincoln Project. That must make for some fun dinner conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

DGRulz wrote: »
    I never realised Kellyann Conway's husband was the guy behind the Lincoln Project. That must make for some fun dinner conversation.

He quite regularly bashes Trump on Twitter. It's a bit mad alright!

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The revelations in John Bolton's book coming out in the NYT are almost an anti-climax since we're almost inured to Trump's doings at this stage. I think the Guardian has some of the extracts if anyone is interested.

He quite regularly bashes Trump on Twitter. It's a bit mad alright!

A cynical person, looking at the content they are pushing might come to the conclusion that this is as much if not more about retaining the Senate than it is about ousting Trump. They are pushing for down ballot votes when many of those candidates fully and publicly support Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

This stuff about China is extremely damaging. Very specific and entirely impeachable.

Trump's problem, as I understand it from people like Seth Abrahamson on Twitter, is that for him to argue that these conversations are "classified information", he has to concede that they happened the way Bolton says they did. Otherwise, he could only sue for libel, and he would have to prove Bolton's allegations false.

A cynical person, looking at the content they are pushing might come to the conclusion that this is as much if not more about retaining the Senate than it is about ousting Trump. They are pushing for down ballot votes when many of those candidates fully and publicly support Trump.
    Yeah, it's the ultimate fear for the GOP to lose all three branches of government. If you're right, it's still a dangerous game for them because (as you say) many of those senators still support Trump. At best it's a mixed message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Generally fairly cynical when it comes to politics but think Project Lincoln (at least the vast majority) just despise Trump.

They have been bashing him since before 2016 election when it seemed unlikely he would win. Many have probably cost themselves consultancy work in the interim as almost no GOP candidate will hire someone Trump hates. Of course, they have figured out a way to monetise their views (assuming they are drawing a salary) with Project Lincoln.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Trump has openly insulted her husband in the press and on Twitter. How can someone work for a person who insults their husband/wife publicly? I just don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This stuff about China is extremely damaging. Very specific and entirely impeachable.

Until the Democrats take the Senate, it doesn't matter one iota what's impeachable and what isn't. We've seen time and again that there will be no punishment, because the Republicans in the Senate won't apply the rules anyway.

Until the Democrats take the Senate, it doesn't matter one iota what's impeachable and what isn't. We've seen time and again that there will be no punishment, because the Republicans in the Senate won't apply the rules anyway.
    Much more useful if he doesn't get elected and has to face charges for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

No, I know. I had originally put "illegal" but wasn't then sure how that relates to a sitting POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Trump has openly insulted her husband in the press and on Twitter. How can someone work for a person who insults their husband/wife publicly? I just don't understand it.

The best was when she did an interview with the Washington Post few years ago and said to the journalist to quote how she was disappointed with his tweets than said to attribute that to sources close to her and the journalist was like no, you can’t do that, give a quote and then try to attribute to someone else. Bizarre

No, I know. I had originally put "illegal" but wasn't then sure how that relates to a sitting POTUS.
    Afaik, it's actually treason to conspire with a foreign power to influence the result of a domestic election.

Afaik, it's actually treason to conspire with a foreign power to influence the result of a domestic election.

It will be interesting to see what if any consequences Trump will face if he is out in November.

I think if the Democrats take both houses of congress along with the presidency with a decent vote share they'll go after everyone. Trump, his family - senate Republicans and both congressional and white house senior staff.

I think if it's a narrow win they'll have the political capital to go after the really serious stuff but a lot will have to be let go in the interests of 'moving forward'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Good chat with Gatland here on his irsh experience.... starts at 11m30s

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Good chat with Gatland here on his irsh experience.... starts at 11m30s

Genuinely seems like Gats has a fondness for the Irish but I doubt it will ever be reciprocated. Though he did have a dig at his replacement for the Irish role.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is the anti Gatland thing a real thing? or just an Eddie O'Sullivan/Vincent Hogan thing?

It pops up regularly but I don't know anyone who didn't like what he did here. There's plenty who don't like what he did with Wales but he was an opposition coach who was beating us so there's reasons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Who’s that plank of an American Football player claiming he would dominate rugby if he played it? Is he even any good and American Football?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    Who’s that plank of an American Football player claiming he would dominate rugby if he played it? Is he even any good and American Football?

Marquette King? He's a punter, was pretty good when he played for the Raiders, lead the league one year for yards, but he was extremely flashy and full of himself. No NFL team will touch him because of it even though he's 31.

Marquette King? He's a punter, was pretty good when he played for the Raiders, lead the league one year for yards, but he was extremely flashy and full of himself. No NFL team will touch him because of it even though he's 31.

Yeah that’s the one, I doubt he would last the pace for 20 minutes in a pro game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The NBA are making all players wear an 'Oura Ring' for the upcoming tournament they're having at Disney World, basically a ring with a load of sensors in it that can measure stuff like body temperature, blood pressure and also has a 'proximity alarm' for if they're stood within 6 foot of another person for longer than 5 seconds.

Pretty interesting stuff, they're stating the research so far by a couple of universities has shown it can predict COVID cases up to 3 days in advance with 90% accuracy.

He was a great punter a few years ago, his boot was a cannon. He was also notable for trick plays and being an excellent athlete for the position. I think certain NFL positions could convert after conditioning but punter isn't one of them!

He was a great punter a few years ago. He was notable for trick plays and being an excellent athlete for the position. I think certain NFL positions could convert after conditioning but punter isn't one of them!

Punters just take the kick offs?

Punters just take the kick offs?

Primarily their role is punting for territory on 4th down. They sometimes handle kicks.

Primarily their role is punting for territory on 4th down. They sometimes handle kicks.

So unless they get sacked in possession, they never take contact? I wouldn’t even give him 20 minutes so.

• Advertisement

So unless they get sacked in possession, they never take contact? I wouldn’t even give him 20 minutes so.

Or hit late but yes, it's not a position you'd look at for possible converts to say the least!

King is a bit of a character, I wouldn't take him that seriously.

Advertisement