Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Alien 3 is severely underrated. Though that does seem to be changing a little in the Alien community - such as it is - these days, it's slowly being taken more seriously. It's not as good as the first two, that's for sure, but it's still a well set, very atmospheric and very-much-in-tune-with-the-first-film film, even if the pacing is dodgy and dialogue occasionally ropey. Personally really enjoy it.

Alien 3 was dire. It was a passible monster / horror flick as a standalone but it wasted everything that had come before. To have Aliens as your platform and to go on and make Alien 3 is one of the great cinematic sins. I know there was a lot studio interference but it was a hugely wasted opportunity to close out what could and should have been one of movies great trilogies.

The dross that followed (resurrection / AvP) aren't worth mentioning. Didn't like either of the recent Ridley Scott movies for the same reason - fine by themselves but detracted from the original movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Agreed - the last two were all over the shop.

The extended Aliens wasn't nearly as bad as I remember. Still prefer the theatrical version but the colony sequence wasn't nearly as long as I remembered, and that was my major issue. The fight between Ripley in the loader suit and the Queens seemed a bit longer, more deliberate, with them circing each other.

Anyway, great to see both on the big screen.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Alien Covenant was an absolute car crash, truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

It's been out for a while, but only just got round to watching Blackbird.

One of THE best shows I've ever watched. Brilliantly done. 6 episodes makes it neat too.

Taron Egerton is painfully physically built for this role. I mean fair play to him for doing whatever he needed to do to achieve that physique, but it's a bit cringe at times.

But that's the only (and barely a) negative imo.

Paul Walter Houser was an actor I wasn't familiar with before this show. But what a performance as Larry Hall.

If you like a dark, based-on-reality, serial killer show, this won't disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Is there a reason why it’s hard to sign in on mobile these days? Thought it was just a bug to be fixed but been happening for weeks now.

Also what is with the ads taking up half the page on mobile? Site nearly becoming a spam site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Got to keep the lights on but in the end will drive down traffic. It’s almost unusable with the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's awful. You're half way through typing a reply and it jumps half-way up the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Use an adblocker and it's fine

Yep that worked, downloaded a free one for iPhones and like cilit bang….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't really ever watch football but, I've been watching some highlights. The big forward at Man City is really good.

All Manchester F.A cup final! I think Utd take the spoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Luton Town promoted to the Premier League. Their stadium is slightly bigger than Richmond Park in Inchicore. Looks like it as well.

Fairly hemmed in, no room for expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They've been working on moving to a bigger ground for years. Has been pushed back a few times but currently looking like they'll be in their new ground in 2-3 years (have secured the site and planning a few years ago).

Leeds relegated! Noooo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tiger and Rory's respective press releases should be 🔥🔥🔥.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

It struck me while driving through limerick city yesterday, there are a lot more clare jerseys hanging from the windows, than limerick jerseys, in preparation for todays Munster final.

Come on Limerick, get the supportive thumb out..!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Couple of cracking games this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I know we don't talk politics in this thread, but would like to say how grateful I am to Michael D Higgins for speaking out about the stories planted in the media by our politicians and assorted hacks about Ireland's stance on neutrality.

Feels like in recent months there has been a concerted effort yo manufacture public consent for dropping our triple lock policy. Someone in a public position and who is respected needed to talk about it.

Wont drift into Irish politics but the implosion of right wing populism next door is entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, big push from certain quarters to soften up people for a NATO push. The argument is pathetic tho’. People should feel guilty for not spending a fortune on weapons. Not sure how well that’s going down with people who can’t afford to buy a house!

On a different topic, I decided to give stranger things a look! Consider me enthralled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah Stranger Things is amazing. Its a massive gut punch of nostalgia while also being a great story.

Indeed! The lack of technology is great. Television as big as a small fridge, lol. Telephone mounted on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yea series 1 is ground breaking... series 3 is good too... half of series 4....

I'm really a Deadwood, Peaky Blinders type of lad but, this show is very good. So far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wait till you get to the Metallica scene. Awesome!! One of the best bits of television ever. I actually cheered when I first saw it. My wife walked into the room to see what was going on and came to the conclusion she had married an idiot 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Was rubbish after the first couple of seasons once they decided to start tackling social issues. Needed to leave it at sci-fi 80s nostalgia without complicating things.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I kind of liked the first season, then gave up. The kids convinced me to watch the rest of it.

• Advertisement

Just finished season 2!

Advertisement