Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Amazing final. The quality of tennis was outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Good enough for Djokovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Alcaraz could be around for a long time. He has a phenomenal repetoire of shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Does anyone know if I rock up to the passport office on Monday morning is there a chance I can get a passport? Supposed to fly out in Sunday and just realised the OHs passport is a month out of date and can't book an emergency appointment online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Sorry man, no idea. about 15 years ago I was able to get a same day passport from the corkl office.

Another question regarding the RWC. Do the host nation pay all the expenses of the visiting teams? travel and hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No host nation pays none of that. Tournament organisers put together list of venues and work with unions on training venues, hotels etc and cover he expenses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Probably wouldn't hurt to apply online now also. Potentially might end up paying twice I guess, but the turnaround time for the online renewals can be less than a week. I had my new passport in Switzerland 7 days after I applied online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Cheers ended up getting a appointment on Tuesday but still might chance going up on Monday just in case they can take us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Limerick are a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

If you're renewing your passport and you do it online, you'll have the new one in at most 2-3 days. They're exceptionally quick when done online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah it's bizarre... Kilkenny go 6 points up in the first half, and no one even then entertains the idea that limerick might lose. Neither the vibe in the stadium nor the commentary had any sense of foreboding for Limerick.

It was like "yeah, yeah. Fire everything you have at us, we'll still overcome whatever that might be."

Not a Limerick man, but would love to see them get 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That second half was something else. They were just unstoppable after the goal went in. It was just brutal. In a very impressive way.

The response after the 2nd goal was incredibly impressive alright. They have threats from all over the park, KK just couldn’t live with them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They scored basically the same point 6 times in a row. Once they'd locked up the half back contest and tired out the Kilkenny corner back they just went into that corner over and over and never missed a shot. Really a masterclass in doing the simple things perfectly and punishing any weakness.

There's some huge players on that Limerick team. Have they been siphoning off forwards from the rugby clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A lot of parallels between the Dublin side of 2014-2020 and this Limerick team. I never got the impression they were even overly concerned that Kilkenny got their noses ahead. Just lifted their work rate as Kilkenny legs tired and the opportunities repeatedly presented themselves. Did nothing spectacular; they were just incredibly efficient and well drilled.

As pickarooney said, they just stuck to what worked and tired Kilkenny out. It was a great shooting display but the effort was done before that. The shooting opportunities were regularly very clear chances that they'd back themselves to nail. The power and fitness had already created the mismatches and space for the shooter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's something watching the AI, the culmination of years of effort, pain, commitment and an astonishing combination of skill, strength, athleticism and determination and thinking these lads don't get a penny for it all, then seeing a headline about some unknown Saudi Arabian team offering a billion dollars for Killian Mbappé to flounce about in their Mickey mouse league for one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That already exists for young drivers. They can opt to have a tracker fitted to their car and get reduced insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just saw Oppenheimer. Great film.

Florence Pugh is beautiful!!

RIP Sinead. You opened a lot of people's eyes to the corruption in the church. Besides being a brilliant singer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

How come the GAA final is on now? I thought it was usually on in September.

They moved it a couple of seasons ago to align with the club calendar.

Still feels weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Are you sure it wasn't because they were worried about clashing with the RWC 😂

I guess I didn't notice the change in the last couple of years as Dublin weren't in it. I remember it was in December in 2020 due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

she didn't look too hot at the british grand prix. have a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Saw Barbie and it's a lot of fun. No plot so the storyline is filled in with soliloquys but then it doesn't need a plot. The politics are fun and fairly radical by Hollywood standards but my biggest takeaway is that the Bollywoodisation of Hollywood is well under way. Like a few big films in recent years it's structured around musical dance pieces and the soundtrack is excellent.

Im avoiding Oppenheimer for the time being as I remember being burned by Dunkirk which was insufferable and boring. Nolan's biggest talent is marketing dull films. Nothing I've read about Oppenheimer changes my mind about that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Oppenheimer is Nolans most "linear" movie to date. Its simply a historical piece. Where dunkirk failed is due to it being a series of disconnected vignettes with no real central character, and for this Oppenheimer is completely different. Its all about the central character (who is played fantastically by cillian murphy) and its based around 4 main scenarios (his early life, los alamos, the back room security hearing and the senate hearing)

if you dont like his film making style then you wont like it. His use of sound to create tension and emotion is front and centre here, and he actually expands it to to include a masterly use of silence as well, to punch you in the face with what your viewing.

Its a great movie though, the 3 hours fly by.

• Advertisement

Have no interest in Barbie but wouldn't be surprised if I ended up enjoying it. Oppenheimer is the film this year I've been most looking forward to but it arrived just as I plug out from the world for a few weeks so havnt seen yet.

Advertisement