Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

molloyjh wrote: »
    I know from talking to a lot of friends that many of our parents went through incredibly difficult times in their relationships because of things like rate increases. Some of the rows we'd hear were....memorable. My parents at one stage were paying over 18% on their mortgage. Sure, it was probably easier to get one. But paying for it and affording all the other basics was a constant struggle. Foreign holidays? Pure fantasy. We were lucky to get any kind of holiday at all unless we knew someone who had a house or a caravan that we could use for a week. The second hand clothes and toys from family in America was commonplace. Theres so many things that people today take for granted that were sources of major stress in the 80s. It nearly broke my parents. The 80s were a grim, grim time in Ireland.

Only had this conversation with the brother recently. We never went hungry and I can relate to passing down the clothes to the younger brothers.
    The mother was (still is) a legendary budgeter!! We never seemed to be under pressure for anything be it going back to school or when Santa visited.

It's unimaginable to be paying 18% mortgage rates. I've a rental property up north on a tracker and it's something ridiculous like 0.8% or something mad like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bit late to the party with the Mandalorian but it’s decent, especially the second season. Aspect ratio is a bit annoying, even if it does give a “cinematic” feel. Storm Troopers remain utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Only had this conversation with the brother recently. We never went hungry and I can relate to passing down the clothes to the younger brothers.
    The mother was (still is) a legendary budgeter!! We never seemed to be under pressure for anything be it going back to school or when Santa visited.

It's unimaginable to be paying 18% mortgage rates. I've a rental property up north on a tracker and it's something ridiculous like 0.8% or something mad like that!!

Yeah, we never went hungry either. But birthdays and Christmas were def done on a tight budget. And while our parents made a real effort to ensure we didn't see the pressure they were under, we knew.

I have to admit to being lucky personally. I got on the property ladder here right before things went truly mental. We were in the process of trying to sell and move closer to home just as it all went to hell 12-13 yers ago. But then we got very fortunate with the house we're in now where we got it at exactly the right time between having just enough equity from the old house to just about afford the new one. A month one way or the other and we were goosed. We've had to scrimp and save at times but we've never had the pressures my parents have had. Even my sisters, who have struggled to get on the ladder recently haven't had those struggles. IT's just a completely different time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Got a phone call out of the blue from GP to get the vaccine tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

You lucky fecker! The number of people I know now who are vaccinated is really shooting up. I remain firmly optimistic on a return to the RDS by September.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

molloyjh wrote: »
    You lucky fecker! The number of people I know now who are vaccinated is really shooting up. I remain firmly optimistic on a return to the RDS by September.

They're luring people in with a vaccine and injecting them with heroin?

awec wrote: »

North or South?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'm due for a Moderna jab in Landsdowne Rd tomorrow.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

North or South?

South.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They're luring people in with a vaccine and injecting them with heroin?

Both can lead to flu like symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

North or South?
    This sounds like it's about to descend into an argument over which buckfast is better, green or brown bottles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Best line from Series 2 Episode 6

“Cook the Mandalorian some eggs”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »

Here is the front elevation which has 20 windows in all.

IMG-4512.jpg
    I really loved the house but it went through heating oil like a WW1 battleship..:D

Aha! Jaco is Basil Fawlty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Zzippy wrote: »
    Aha! Jaco is Basil Fawlty!
    This will make you laugh. The house is actually called 'The Towers' because of the towers on each corner. I used to use 'Basil' as part of a password.

There is a house 400m away on the market for £1.000,000. Go figure.

Does that say one pound, a thousand pounds or a million pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It’s one pound accurate to 6 decimal places, pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It’s one pound accurate to 6 decimal places, pretty sure

Sorry. £1,000,000. I need new specs but can't get an eye test thanks to Covid....:D It is a lovely house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sorry. £1,000,000. I need new specs but can't get an eye test thanks to Covid....:D It is a lovely house though.

I’m only insulting your eyesight to cover up how jealous I am of your taste in houses

Why are the UK in eurovision? What was that whole brexit thing about?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Aren't Australia and Israel in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

dregin wrote: »
    Aren't Australia and Israel in it?

Sure Baku has hosted it. And Baku is further east than Baghdad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Just in case you haven't seen the new ROG & Drico :)
    https://twitter.com/StevenPConnolly/status/1395405630328950786?s=19

never mind that, my Ma gets absolutely wound up any time there's a UK winner of the EuroMillions now! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well they got nul points, so honour is satisfied. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well they got nul points, so honour is satisfied. :D

Where does the expression 'nul points' come from?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Where does the expression 'nul points' come from?

It is "nil points" au francais.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Does anyone know was the song completely rubbish or was it a bit more of a "political" thing because of Brexit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

b.gud wrote: »
    Does anyone know was the song completely rubbish or was it a bit more of a "political" thing because of Brexit?

Didn't watch it, but I'd say the latter if I was a betting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well having seen the garbage that won, I can't imagine I ever want to hear the song that scored nul points!

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »

Well they did say they wanted nothing from Europe.

Advertisement