Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah the idea that this was some shadowy move by EU politicians to counteract AZ isn't really supported by fact.

Also the clause providing the vaccine for free is time limited, it could be lifted as soon as July. There seems to be real concern that is going to happen.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes and shamefully this isn't just a matter of a lot of backhanders from Pfizer or Macron getting a stiffy. It will have caused people to die.

The NIAC aren't getting backhanders from Pfizer. The decision to suspend usage of AZ didn't originate in the halls of politicians.

Maybe the Norwegian medics are lying. Who knows. But this is absolutely a decision being taken by medical professionals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe the Norwegian medics are lying. Who knows. But this is absolutely a decision being taken by medical professionals.

They're not lying. It just seems like poor risk assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The NIAC aren't getting backhanders from Pfizer. The decision to suspend usage of AZ didn't originate in the halls of politicians.

That was tongue in cheek. A giant American Pharmacy company wouldn't stoop so low as to try and maxmise their profits at the expense of a 'rival'

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They're not lying. It just seems like poor risk assessment.

That may be. I'm just responding to the idea this is a malicious attack on the AZ vaccine from EU politicians.

They announced more deaths in Norway today and according to their medics that reaction has not been observed from any other vaccine. I have no idea at all about how that risk should be assessed.

We're talking about a doctor in a non-EU nation. Maybe there's some shadowy hand in Norway trying to help Macron take over the world for Pfizer, but I think you'd want to see at least a tiny bit of evidence of that before jumping into it with two feet.

• Advertisement

Well if these 'medical professionals' are so effing inept at statistics if I lived there I'd rather be treated by a Vet.

Well if these 'medical professionals' are so effing inept at statistics if I lived there I'd rather be treated by a Vet.

I mean I hope it IS a complete conspiracy and the head of the Norwegian Medicines Agency is some sort of evil background figure with loads of Pfizer stock or something.

But I think there are more likely alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Don't forget, Norway announced in January that people were dying after the Pfizer vaccine too.

Of course, further down the page, you read that it was only very frail and old people who were dying, and sure it might not have been the vaccine at all... but the headlines still read "concerns over vaccine safety" etc.

The whole point of having EU-wide reviews by EMA is that you get massive amounts of data that normalises the data and freak coincidences disappear.

NIAC panicked, they should have waited on the EMA review, it was the opposite of good practice and they put a huge dent in public confidence in the vaccine. Absolutely unforgivable IMO.

Don't forget, Norway announced in January that people were dying after the Pfizer vaccine too.
    The media did, to be fair. I think pretty misleading to say that was Norway! They kept using it and said there was no proven connection etc
    Of course, further down the page, you read that it was only very frail and old people who were dying, and sure it might not have been the vaccine at all... but the headlines still read "concerns over vaccine safety" etc.

The whole point of having EU-wide reviews by EMA is that you get massive amounts of data that normalises the data and freak coincidences disappear.

NIAC panicked, they should have waited on the EMA review, it was the opposite of good practice and they put a huge dent in public confidence in the vaccine. Absolutely unforgivable IMO.

It's not just the AZ vaccine that lost trust over the whole thing. I think the process in general has been really damaged where you have a situation where the WHO and EMA are saying one thing and countries disagreeing with them. I'm sure the damage to AZ's vaccine is more acute (if it ever shows up), but it's the damage to the process and trust in general that I'd even more worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    My folks are mid-50s and they were able to book theirs last week, think they're getting it early April.

Were they 12 when they had you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Latest estimation for me getting two doses of delicious vaccine is June 2022.

Grand, so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Latest estimation for me getting two doses of delicious vaccine is June 2022.

Grand, so.

What country is this if you don't mind me asking?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

France

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

France

Grief, thats a bit mental

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    Were they 12 when they had you?

25 and 23!

My lovely Labrador, Buddy, started Chemo today for Lymphoma. Vet says it might give him 8 to 10 weeks. Heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

My lovely Labrador, Buddy, started Chemo today for Lymphoma. Vet says it might give him 8 to 10 weeks. Heartbroken.

Ah Jaco that's awful. Labs are the absolute best. So sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ah sorry to hear it jaco.

My family cat had a stroke the night before last and had to be put down. She was 20 years old so she had a good life but never easy to say goodbye to a friend. Hopefully you can enjoy the time ye have left together.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ah Jaco that's awful. Labs are the absolute best. So sorry.
    Thanks man. I adore all dogs but especially Labradors. All my other dogs have died of old age rather than a horrible cancer. Sadly as I'm in my 70s I don't think I should get another one even if I could face it when Buddy goes. I wouldn't want to face the inevitable heartbreak as an 80 y.o.+ something. If the chemo is too aggressive I will have a difficult decision to make. I don't know what I'll do to be honest. I prefer dogs to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Aw jaco...I'm sorry to hear that, awful news

• Advertisement

Very sorry to hear that jaco

[IMG]http://<a href=https://postimages.org/ target=_blank>[/img]BUDDY.jpgBUDDY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

[IMG]http://<a href=https://postimages.org/ target=_blank>[/img]BUDDY.jpgBUDDY.jpg

Hes a beaut! Hopefully the chemo isn't too bad and you can treat him like a king for the next few weeks.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hes a beaut! Hopefully the chemo isn't too bad and you can treat him like a king for the next few weeks.
    We are going to spoil him rotten. WE have always been careful with his diet as you can see but not any more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sorry to hear that jaco, he's a beaut.

Sorry to hear Jaco, he looks like a real pet

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Jaco, he looks like a real pet

He is a perfect dog. Doesn't bark, is very gentle even though he is almost 40 kilos. So well behaved in every way. He even likes cats. I'm just going to take him for a walk along the cliffs at the back of my house. It's a beautiful day here and the views over the sea to the Mountains of Sutherland normally fill me with joy but I suspect today they will be as dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

That's rough news Jaco.

I'm sure he knows he got dealt a good hand with you and yours looking after him all these years.
    Beautiful dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sorry to hear that Jaco.

They really do form a bond in your life. We have a king Charles spaniel....like a toy that seems to spend all day sleeping. New year's Eve at 2a.m she started to have a seizure. Thankfully after a taxi ride to UCD emergency vets and being relieved of €660 she was fine!!

You really wouldn't be without them. Labs are a class breed. We had one as kids and he was as gentle as a mouse but god help anyone came near the house who wasn't welcome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Very sorry to hear that jaco. I'd be similar in that labradors have a real softspot in my heart. Above all dogs there's something very genuinely friendly and caring about them.

We lost our family labrador late last year to old age. A brilliant 15 years and overcame multiple tumors. We knew after the last scare that it was time to really savour the last few weeks. I hope you can create some magical moments with the dog in the next while to treasure forever.

Advertisement