Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hermetix silage covers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Ye no issue but you could just buy one sheet of hermatex for the same money though
    We were able to reuse our single sheet of hermatex this year with new clingfilm underneath,
    Wonder could I keep dad and his knife away from it for this winter
    You can cut away the clingfilm anyway only does one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭morphy87

When putting on the cling film has it to be pulled very tight or once it’s some way tight is it ok? Have it on and every part of the pit is covered with Tyres’s, hoping to see a lot less waste than other years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

morphy87 wrote: »
    When putting on the cling film has it to be pulled very tight or once it’s some way tight is it ok? Have it on and every part of the pit is covered with Tyres’s, hoping to see a lot less waste than other years

We kept it pulled tight like the silage cover as we rolled it back out

Nope just pull it within reason ..it'll work regardless of how tight it's pulled ..very hard pull it tight anyway as it's soft enough plastic

We kept it pulled tight like the silage cover as we rolled it back out

Also make sure get back to us next autumn wen u open pit to see how it worked..I will too I've used it also but with bird nets..last year's plastic got destroyed with crows

• Advertisement

richie123 wrote: »
    Also make sure get back to us next autumn wen u open pit to see how it worked..I will too I've used it also but with bird nets..last year's plastic got destroyed with crows

Could be opening one pit fairly soon if we dont get some sort of decent rain!

I will post up also how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Possibly a dumb question but never stopped me before.....when ye haven't finished a pit and now you're on the point of first cut this year do ye take off the cover off the remaining heap before loading new grass?

trg wrote: »
    Possibly a dumb question but never stopped me before.....when ye haven't finished a pit and now you're on the point of first cut this year do ye take off the cover off the remaining heap before loading new grass?

Depends how much is left...I had a lot left this year so just rolled it back enough in case I had more grass than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭nhg

Oh returned the two 500g rolls of plastic & went with the Clingseal & Hermetix Cover.
    Knocked the silage Thursday evening & brought it yesterday and thankfully the silage crew stayed to cover the pit, we had 8 on the pit and had a fierce job with the wind, got a slight tear to the clingseal at the back of the pit but everyone's safety is more important. If only the wind had to die down for a few mins we could have pulled the torn clingseal part back further and possibly completely off the pit or double up the clingseal at that point as we had a good bit extra on the length of the roll. It was a lot stronger than we thought it would be. If good results we will use it again.
    Will post back when we are using the pit next winter.

• Advertisement

nhg wrote: »
    Oh returned the two 500g rolls of plastic & went with the Clingseal & Hermetix Cover.
    Knocked the silage Thursday evening & brought it yesterday and thankfully the silage crew stayed to cover the pit, we had 8 on the pit and had a fierce job with the wind, got a slight tear to the clingseal at the back of the pit but everyone's safety is more important. If only the wind had to die down for a few mins we could have pulled the torn clingseal part back further and possibly completely off the pit or double up the clingseal at that point as we had a good bit extra on the length of the roll. It was a lot stronger than we thought it would be. If good results we will use it again.
    Will post back when we are using the pit next winter.
    Covering pits in windy weather is such a nightmare of a job !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anybody know where you can get the likes of this Clingseal or equivalent west of the Shannon?

MfMan wrote: »
    Anybody know where you can get the likes of this Clingseal or equivalent west of the Shannon?

Any glanbia branches round your way ?

I’d say most c op shops should have it, give them a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

No Glanbia stores west of Shannon. Other co-ops I rang, they mainly never heard of the product and didn't stock it. Awful to be in the dark of such a thing. Anyway, may take a trip to Tullamore...

No Glanbia stores west of Shannon. Other co-ops I rang, they mainly never heard of the product and didn't stock it. Awful to be in the dark of such a thing. Anyway, may take a trip to Tullamore...

Get it couriered I bought cling film the other day got it delivered.

Cover off for second cut. Little bit of waste along by the wall.
    Brand new cling film and one sheet of hermatex on its 2nd year

That’s good to hear, so you have more or less no waste,so you are happy enough so with it? I bought a new heremitix cover and cling film this year,so hoping to see good results as the pit was rolled well and covered well

Are u happy with d results ? I'm buying a mesh sheet to go over our second cut ... destroyed with crows here

• Advertisement

Yes very happy. Very little waste. Small bit along the side where the cling film didnt get out fully. Will het it on better this time.
    Should greatly reduce the amount of waste to be forked off during winter

photos

photos

That looks very good, no waste on top it should be some job, I was surprised the amount of people that don’t know anything about the hermetix covers and the cling film

Did anyone open there pits yet that used these covers or cling film? Won’t be opening mine for another 4 weeks, just curious to know how it will work out

Did anyone open there pits yet that used these covers or cling film? Won’t be opening mine for another 4 weeks, just curious to know how it will work out

Not yet still using bales for d minute

Opened the first pit today
    Was no side sheet along by one wall so have some waste there but nothing else worth noting on the rest of the pit

Cling film and hermatex used

Was no side sheet along by one wall so have some waste there but nothing else worth noting on the rest of the pit

Will u just explain what hermatex is again please is that a heavy cover black plastic ?

So more or less nothing, that’s good to hear

• Advertisement

Will u just explain what hermatex is again please is that a heavy cover black plastic ?

Yeah it’s a heavy sheet with a few layers, dark green on top and it’s very strong so it’s very hard to tear

Advertisement