Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's excellent isn't it! There's a Winnie the Pooh one as well which is brilliant. Some really imaginative World Events here and there but the Prodigy one is definitely my favourite so far.

The baseball one made me cringe, but yeah other than that I think they’re very well done and a refreshing change from side-quests.

As someone who’s trying to complete every region, chasing the tattoo designs is a pain in the hole. You’re completely at the mercy of the game’s shoddy parkour mechanics and one slight change of direction and you’ve to go all the way back and start it again. They had them in Black Flag as sea-shanties so it isn’t even a new feature, someone made a deliberate decision to take the absolute worst thing about that superb game and put it in Valhalla. Rant over. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

That cheat still works in Vahalla if you know the route the tattoo design will take you can run ahead to a point further down the route and wait for the design to catch up with you and then just pick it up. I got several that way that were proving very frustrating otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like stomping on the enemies heads, crushing their skulls in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm intrigued as to what you prefer about Valhalla. Personally, I felt Odyssey has more focus. It knows what it wants to be whereas Valhalla feels like a camel and is too big for its own good.

I love the raids,I think the combat is fantastic and I love the world events, much better than having ? littered on the map and all of them were boring from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think I would have enjoyed Valhalla more than odyssey if I had played it first. They do both suffer from the amount of locations that really just feel like carbon copies of each other - the fortress sieges and raids are so repetitive Valhallas biggest sin is the claiming of territories - I think Odyssey only forced you conquer a number of regions but Valhalla really railroads you to take the long way round to victory.
    Unfortunately that period in Greece had way more interesting real life characters like Socrates and Alcibiades than the time period in Valhalla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

Odyssey had a more interesting location with more varied scenery and architecture to explore and was simply a more interesting time in history for me. I thought Kassandra was a better main character than Eivor too.

Valhalla suffered from the natural scenery of England being something very familiar and un-exotic to us in real life, and the medieval era being the sort of done-to-death Tolkien style fantasy setting that is familiar from oh so many video games over the decades, which didn't feel like it stood out in the way that settings of other AC games have done. Getting to the likes of London and realising not a single familiar landmark actually existed yet at that time and it basically just looked like every other town in the game (and random fantasy medieval towns in other games for that matter) was so disappointing compared to the joy of exploring the Ancient world or the post-Renaissance world of other AC games. Valhalla's time period is known as the Dark Ages for a reason.

I think Valhalla still played better though, the combat felt better, the raids were fun and helped with variety of pacing, and I also thought it had much better mission design, especially the ones where you had to do some investigation or make what felt like meaningful decisions about who to side with at certain times. It definitely overstayed its welcome though, they probably could have cut it by about 30% and ended up with a much tighter and stronger game overall.

Yeah I’ve just two regions left to complete now and it’s become a bit of a slog, which is unfortunate as I’ve really enjoyed the game for the most part.

Playing on performance mode on the PS5, I did encounter some shocking screen-tearing in Jorvik and Wincestre, it was so bad I thought about just shelving this game altogether. It seems to be a problem in the “cities” as the areas are so dense with content and visuals. It almost certainly isn’t an issue with my TV as it’s a 120hz set. Did anyone else have this issue?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve just two regions left to complete now and it’s become a bit of a slog, which is unfortunate as I’ve really enjoyed the game for the most part.

Playing on performance mode on the PS5, I did encounter some shocking screen-tearing in Jorvik and Wincestre, it was so bad I thought about just shelving this game altogether. It seems to be a problem in the “cities” as the areas are so dense with content and visuals. It almost certainly isn’t an issue with my TV as it’s a 120hz set. Did anyone else have this issue?

Yes, it's pretty terrible. Playing on a Series X in performance mode, and the tearing in cities is so bad. Digital Foundry did a pretty good video on it, pretty shocking stuff, the Xbox version was ridiculously bad, so much so that Ubisoft patched it to lower the resolution after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Main difference to me was simple I liked stabby mc stabbing people in Odyssey and sneaking out, in Valhalla i couldnt do that I had to do a raid which I wasnt a fan of after about 20 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know where I'd find good spears?
    I need 2 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you've the Hordafylke story done then Gungnir as it has a force field around it and its free in the game. Svipul if you buy the valkyrie pack or keep an eye on Reda, it might pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Main difference to me was simple I liked stabby mc stabbing people in Odyssey and sneaking out, in Valhalla i couldnt do that I had to do a raid which I wasnt a fan of after about 20 of them.

I would have thought Valhalla would have been better for that playstyle seen as how you could hardly ever kill someone in one hit with an assassination in Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

How do i defeat goodwin, he has killed me about ten times so far. He has a giant shield that makes it difficult

I found the easiest way was to dodge at the right time to slow down time and hit his weak points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I found the easiest way was to dodge at the right time to slow down time and hit his weak points

Cheers, I finally killed him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

PsychoPete wrote: »

I hadn't bothered with the time slow down skills, but that might be what I need to beat the big Templar guys. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Decided I wasn't going to finish this... Looked up the ending and I'm glad I haven't invested more time in it tbh

I've put 170 hours into it apart for a few bugs and glitches, I've found it very enjoyable. I'll only come back to it for the dlc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Markitron wrote: »
    I would have thought Valhalla would have been better for that playstyle seen as how you could hardly ever kill someone in one hit with an assassination in Odyssey.

You could with a build, Valhalla locks the final dudes in a room for raids and some missions. No chance of surprise as your buddies get slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,519 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Have my platinum after 110 hours and I've enjoyed it a lot. Some parts were sluggish and some parts were good but could have been better (raids etc.). Loved the world events, huge improvement on side missions.

The location never really did anything for me though. Wasn't a patch one the islands in Odyssey and outside of the snowy North, a very meh Lunden and Jorvik, the rest of the locations were samey.

• Advertisement

Have my platinum after 110 hours and I've enjoyed it a lot. Some parts were sluggish and some parts were good but could have been better (raids etc.). Loved the world events, huge improvement on side missions.

The location never really did anything for me though. Wasn't a patch one the islands in Odyssey and outside of the snowy North, a very meh Lunden and Jorvik, the rest of the locations were samey.

110 hours was my final playtime too as I finished it a couple of days back, can’t be arsed going for the platinum though. I assumed that I was on track for the Orlog trophy but it never popped so I obviously missed one somewhere and I can’t be bothered going through all of them again to find it.

Enjoyed the game for the most part, not a fan of the ending, but I’m in no rush to go back to it and I wish I’d finished it a few weeks ago to give myself a proper break before the DLC.

Need to find a good linear, non-repetitive game now to cleanse my palette. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

Folks I've put 85 hours into this cleared all the areas but the story seems to have stalled. What do I do next?

Possible spoilers

My "brother" is back at the camp again for about ten hours and I went around clearing all the other areas. I only have three quests left getting the settlement to level 6, kill all the order members (6 left) and find all the codex pages.

Apart from wandering around the map looking for the last 6 order members there's not much else i can do right now oh and raids I suppose. How do I finalise the story?

jones wrote: »
    Folks I've put 85 hours into this cleared all the areas but the story seems to have stalled. What do I do next?

Possible spoilers

My "brother" is back at the camp again for about ten hours and I went around clearing all the other areas. I only have three quests left getting the settlement to level 6, kill all the order members (6 left) and find all the codex pages.

Apart from wandering around the map looking for the last 6 order members there's not much else i can do right now oh and raids I suppose. How do I finalise the story?

Have you completed the Alliance Map?

Have you completed the Alliance Map?

Yep i cant even access it anymore but its all cleared. That's what i spend the last ten hours doing but i assumed there was more to the story

jones wrote: »
    Yep i cant even access it anymore but its all cleared. That's what i spend the last ten hours doing but i assumed there was more to the story

Once you finish Hamtunscire, there's only a final mission that Gunnar gives you which isn't really a mission... But that's about it.

If you find the remaining order members (outside of the big one) there's a "conclusion" where you find the final order member after direction from Hytham. The last few order members were painful though and I had to resort to a guide to find them as some clues were just randomly scattered.

The story really does wither at the end.

Once you finish Hamtunscire, there's only a final mission that Gunnar gives you which isn't really a mission... But that's about it.

If you find the remaining order members (outside of the big one) there's a "conclusion" where you find the final order member after direction from Hytham. The last few order members were painful though and I had to resort to a guide to find them as some clues were just randomly scattered.

The story really does wither at the end.

Ok i dont have the trophy for Hamtunscire so i obviously havent completed that yet. How do i kick this off? So odd having to ask this haha. The map is completed but i better go back and check now

Ok i went back to camp and its now giving me a new mission. Thanks very much for the help

Advertisement