Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm honestly sick to death of the trend of giving these YT mooks getting the games before the rest of us.
    If the game is ready to be played by these clickbait cúnts, then I should be playing it too.

It does look unpolished.

Looking stale and static is probably down to covid. They talked about the challenges of working from home. They are having to reuse existing mocap data for a lot of scenes. Going back to doing a lot of keyframe animation instead of mocap. It will probably be the case for a lot games shipping in the next few months, depending on how far along they were when covid hit.

I know some places shipped out capture kits to their performance actors, conducted sessions remotely. Even if the gear works it's just not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'm honestly sick to death of the trend of giving these YT mooks getting the games before the rest of us.
    If the game is ready to be played by these clickbait cúnts, then I should be playing it too.

Not that I am saying old media is some paragon of virtue or anything, but I just don't trust YTers, especially when it comes to early access or previews. They are way too cozy with publishers.

Markitron wrote: »
    Not that I am saying old media is some paragon of virtue or anything, but I just don't trust YTers, especially when it comes to early access or previews. They are way too cozy with publishers.

Way to cozy! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

lol! agreed!

• Advertisement

Bring back the free trial cassette tapes stuck on front of gaming magazines. Play a full level and judge for yourself.

So many things in there make me feel very old. Magazine, cassette, levels, judging things for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Funny thing is youtubers always throw shade at the likes of ign for paid reviews and promotion when they just do the same thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Dcully wrote: »
    Odyssey is a fantastic game, i pumped in over a hundred hours and still never completed everything but what a great experience.
    While playing i imagined a viking or fuedal Japan theme for a future AC game, here we are with Valhalla coming and i should be very keen to play but rumours of the combat feeling poor and general lack of polish is a huge concern for me as that was the best feature of Odyssey.
    Hopefully these issues are addressed before release but instead of a day one purchase i had planned ill be waiting for reviews from decent reviewers.

I watched that video over the weekend. What the hell is the story with the animations? It looks appalling. Look at the character glide across the ground when he goes to strike with a weapon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

First DLC heading to Ireland

I wasn't too sure about getting this game but seeing that Ireland DLC has me very tempted to pick it up straight away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

First DLC heading to Ireland

Ireland and the Siege of Paris seems to be far more exciting(on paper) than anything they've shown already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Ubisoft must be very happy Cyberpunk got delayed again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So 8 big changes and the only 2 things I see as different 1 is the Stamina bar and 2 is the amount of stuff you can dual wield the rest has been in numerous other AC games. As for the last change as been a longboat it is a boat and it seems it is the same as all other boats but has a sail and goes through rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And even the dual wielding isn't all that wild since Connor could do it back in ACIII and IIRC Jacob and Evie in Syndicate too however limited it was.

Oh I agree I think the it is saying it is more customization but I will believe it when I see it I mean upgradeable weapons is the norm. Wasn't it in Brotherhood (first time you had allies) where you had long staff where you could do fairly brutal stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

In lore terms, this only cements how far the series has fallen in terms of having nothing to do with the creed.

I would wait and see on that one. It is the first game in almost a decade that has an Assassin's bureau in it, it's set almost as close to AC1 as AC2 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Really not sure why people are so obsessed with vikings. Disgraceful history. :rolleyes:

In lore terms, this only cements how far the series has fallen in terms of having nothing to do with the creed.

Because they look cool and had awesome gods. Plus, in a game where you'll be spending the vast majority of it hacking people to death, there are few other races throughout history that could do it so well on an individual level.

And we don't know what this has to do with the creed yet. The last few games have been exploring the origins of how humanity treated miracles as gifts from the gods when it was the artifacts behind it all. It's no longer just about the assassins, it's the history of the world in general. And I like it. It allows them to literally go to anywhere in time and explain that times god like actions into the AC lore. To do anything like the first run of games would get (was getting) stale, and probably would never reach the heights of the 2 trilogy.

Just purchased the Gold Edition via the Ubi website for €80 with the 20% discount for 100 uPlay points. Free delivery and should be here the day after launch. Just need to hold out for a week for the PS5, if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

I really couldn't care less if they stray away from the lore, it was never that great anyway. Use it as a basic excuse to jump to an interesting time period, then tell a compelling story about interesting characters within that time period. I'm really not too bothered if it ties back to some grand lore. I think of the Assassin's Creed games as being more like Final Fantasy these days, the franchise gives you a certain expectation of production values and gameplay tenets, and it doesn't matter if the world is completely different and unconnected with the previous game.

With that said, I don't mind dropping Assassin's lore, but I hope they haven't dropped actual Assassinating. Because sneaking around, marking your target, and working out how to take them down quietly is a core gameplay tenet to me. One they've been gradually straying from in the last couple of games, but you can still make it work with the right perk and skill setups. This one looks like it might be straying further though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll just sign up to Uplay+ (or whatever its called for a few months). Will be cheaper then buying AC and Watch Dogs outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭farreca

Just purchased the Gold Edition via the Ubi website for €80 with the 20% discount for 100 uPlay points. Free delivery and should be here the day after launch. Just need to hold out for a week for the PS5, if I can.

I pre-ordered Watch dogs legion from the ubi store and had it on release day, I also have valhalla pre-ordered with them so hoping it's the same.

• Advertisement

I may have misread that so. Either way, I do intend to hold it for the PS5 but with it looking at me, I could be tempted. I went in thinking it was a digital code tbh!

Console versions are a physical disc.
    PC version is a code :)

I just got a mail from Ubi that my physical xbox version may be delayed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

I just got a mail from Ubi that my physical xbox version may be delayed! :(

Got the same mail for my PS5 version:
    A few days left to wait before Assassin's Creed Valhalla release! Our teams are preparing your order!

We are working hard to get your game to you as soon as possible but we are encountering exceptional logistical issues due to the global COVID-19 crisis. Unfortunately, the delivery of your game may be impacted.

As a gesture of goodwill, we want to offer you a 20% discount code* for you to use on the Ubisoft Store on any future order.

I don't mind if it comes a day or two late for a nice 20% off BUT it's only valid between Jan 4th and Feb 4th 2021 :)

Also, yours might be early if they are shipping to you for the 10th, the PS5 ain't out until the 19th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Niska wrote: »
    Got the same mail for my PS5 version:

Same. As long as its here for the ps5 release I'll be happy enough

FULL GAME SIZES:
    Xbox Series X|S: ~45 GB
    Xbox One: ~44 GB
    Playstation 5: ~45 GB
    Playstation 4: ~45 GB
    PC: ~45 GB

I also got the delay email but seeing as I wanted to wait until the PS5 anyway this won't bother me. Will make it easier. Might even start it on the PS4 and just feck about for a bit so I can compare to the PS5 then.

Advertisement