Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Cover Song - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was afraid this would happen. I love both songs. It would have been so much easier to choose if Joan Jett's I love Rock and Roll had gone through, as I can't stand that song! Any of the other semi-finalists would have beaten it easily.

It's finally balanced, but I will go with Johnny Cash for the haunting arrangement. It's a combination of his fragile voice, how he delivers it (he seems to feel the words) and his guitar and piano.

Nirvana's Man Who Sold The World dispatched one of my nominations: Walk on By from The Stranglers, but I don't hold that against them! I almost considered flipping a coin!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,276 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World. It's almost the definitive version of the song at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Johnny Cash. A haunting classic under the circumstances.

The man who sold the world is undoubtedly a better song, however the Nirvana cover is just ok. Not really any Nirvana edge to it.

Saying that, Hurt is a good song too, but the Johnny Cash cover is even better then the original.

Vote for Hurt, Johnny Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Tough choice but I'm voting for Nirvana- The man who sold the world... It takes something special to cover a song by a genius like Bowie and still make it sound 100 times better

• Advertisement

Johnny Cash. It's just a great cover, delivered with real emotion. I absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Nirvana only just by reasoning that it's a live version (excuse the contradiction) warts and all, its flawless
    Where Johnny cash had the comfort of a studio to capture the mood perfectly. So by a hairs breath Nirvana- the man who sold the world.

Personally Jimi's All along the watch tower trumps all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When I think of cover the first that comes to mind is Hurt by Johnny Cash, truly epic and haunting, even Trent said it was better than the original

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Johnny Cash gets my vote. I would say it is a worthy winner. I like Nirvana but I don't get the fuss about The Man Who Sold the World being such an amazing cover. It's a good cover, but I'm surprised to see it in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

An amazing cover by Nirvana and one that you could argue is up there with the original version (if not better), but, on this occasion, I'm going to have to go with Johnny Cash and Hurt. He completely reworked that song, turned it from a relatively unknown tune into classic and made it his own, which is really what a good cover version should achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Johnny Cash for me.

Taken on its own as a standalone single Hurt is a stronger song than TMWSTW.
    And oddly enough JC was almost knocked out several times while Nirvana have sailed through with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This is really tough, I like both. Both artists really made the songs their own. I'll go with Nirvana. Both are worthy winners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Very tough decision.

I listened to both songs just now...Nirvana first, but after I listened to Hurt, well I listened to it again. That mans voice just cuts me in two. Unbelievable.

Johnny Cash - Hurt is my numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Current score,

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World 9 10 Johnny Cash - Hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Very late to join in,but could I throw in a vote for Nirvana?
    Both are excellent and I thought I'd have trouble choosing between them but on re-watching it's the video for Hurt that does it for me.Audio alone,it would have to be Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Going with Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World to level it up. No doubt both do a great service to the original versions, but I do prefer Nirvanas rendition and I think the live setting adds to it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Johnny Cash was perfect for that cover. Right in the feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Nirvana The Man Who Sold The World

It's not the greatest cover ever but Hurt isn't a very good song and Cash adds nothing to it. I don't understand the fuss.

Voting lines closed.

The Boardsies greatest cover song is.....

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World 12-11 Johnny Cash - Hurt

Thanks everyone for your votes throughout, see you next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great tournament Kol!

And happy about the winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Reberetta wrote: »
    Nirvana The Man Who Sold The World

It's not the greatest cover ever but Hurt isn't a very good song and Cash adds nothing to it. I don't understand the fuss.

Your last minute vote determined the winner!

That's a feckin' travesty!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That's a feckin' travesty!!!!
    Democracy doesn't work :pac:
    Very enjoyable, Thanks Kolido.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thank you kolido, this was very entertaining!!!

I hurt myself today (at that result :p)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hurt myself today (at that result :p)

:D

BTW Thanks for running Kolido!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

The Nirvana fan wins it for Kurt.

A fitting end

Cheers for a great comp Kolido. Lot of work involved in this

• Advertisement

Kurt and Johnny looking down, smiling, imagine a duet now that would be epic

Advertisement