Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Affordable Housing and Pajama People

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The pyjamas brigade are outbreeding people getting up going to work so it makes sense the pyjamas brigade would be more noticeable in recent years .

Many people who work and want to raise their children in a decent manner can not afford more than 1 or 2 children whilst those on benefits in many cases let someone else worry about their many children and the costs .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If there's anything Irish people love, it's pinning obscene house prices and rents on people in pjamas.

It was them all along. The pjama people.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    'Get bothered over what clothes people wear', thread.

I think you'll find it's more like "get bothered over lazy parasites milking the welfare and healthcare systems for all it's worth" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Yurt! wrote: »
    If there's anything Irish people love, it's pinning obscene house prices and rents on people in pjamas.

It was them all along. The pjama people.

Haha in fairness I doubt the pyjama wearing crew are burdened much with mortgages and their rent would largely be state subsidized.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder will the incoming recession force the government into cutting child benefit after the second child? I have never been able to work out why it suits the government to give child benefit to someone who has a load of kids, especially as the sort that do, dont generally contribute to society. also the super rich shouldnt get child benefit in my opinion.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I wonder will the incoming recession force the government into cutting child benefit after the second child? I have never been able to work out why it suits the government to give child benefit to someone who has a load of kids, especially as the sort that do, dont generally contribute to society. also the super rich shouldnt get child benefit in my opinion.

Only 1 thing is absolutely guaranteed in the upcoming recession = the middle class will pay for it no matter who's in power.

I doubt they'll reduce child benefit much as that tends to be seen as 'an attack on families' (great media/opposition term that). Rather the pain will be felt across a wide section of middle income earners.

Now if you're a single, childless person of working age then you will be crucified more than most because you'll have very little sympathy colateral.

Only 1 thing is absolutely guaranteed in the upcoming recession = the middle class will pay for it no matter who's in power.

I doubt they'll reduce child benefit much as that tends to be seen as 'an attack on families' (great media/opposition term that). Rather the pain will be felt across a wide section of middle income earners.

Now if you're a single, childless person of working age then you will be crucified more than most because you'll have very little sympathy colateral.

The way I see it is if they can cut carers allowance like they did in the last recession and funding for disabled kids etc how can they think its ok to pay out millions to waster families who have 10 kids?

The way I see it is if they can cut carers allowance like they did in the last recession and funding for disabled kids etc how can they think its ok to pay out millions to waster families who have 10 kids?

Look you'll always have your Margaret Cash type people who'll have as many childer as possible send the bill to the tax payer but they are in the minority.

Also the state's hands are largely tied because to be fair the children are not to blame, they can't be denied basic rights just because their parents couldn't give a single fúck about the tax payer.

Ultimately the government has to make a decision on who gets cut and who doesn't and their decision more often than not will be the one which does the least damage to themselves. It's selfish but that's politics.

Again look at the last recession, most of us suffered but the middle earners more so than most. It will be the same this time, that's a guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

What happens if a family have 5 children and then the breadwinners lose their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

pablo128 wrote: »
    What happens if a family have 5 children and then the breadwinners lose their job?

They apply for the dole, rent allowance or a moratorium on mortgage payments and they have 5 children’s allowances. Would you like to see them get more?

• Advertisement

the social welfare payments are generous enough in this country to survive with a family.

the social welfare payments are generous enough in this country to survive with a family.

And perhaps the parents are looking for a job and are prepared to accept some of the jobs that are normally unacceptable to Irish people

So they get 5 children's allowances then while others get 2. I see a flaw in your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some barriers to means-testing or taxing CB:

(1) whose income is it?

(2) politically very, very difficult

So they get 5 children's allowances then while others get 2. I see a flaw in your plan.

no, you only get child benefit for 2 kids, after that, its your problem, get onto st vincent de paul or whatever.

no, you only get child benefit for 2 kids, after that, its your problem, get onto st vincent de paul or whatever.

A large family finds its breadwinner out of work and they are just cast to the side? You would see children starve, because...... ???

But you have the children’s allowance for all 5 free healthcare free education etc already all paid by the taxpayers regardless of whether they have children or not, regardless of whether they are pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When did this all start anyway? I know Bananas In Pyjamas started in 1992 and they were prone to heading outside in public, so could that have been a catalyst?

A large family finds its breadwinner out of work and they are just cast to the side? You would see children starve, because...... ???

This is all hypothetical, there is no reason why they would starve unless the parents are spending their income on drugs gambling or alcohol and neglecting them.

starve? when was the last time someone starved in Ireland? there are any amount of charities that will give you food for free if you dont have much money.

• Advertisement

starve? when was the last time someone starved in Ireland? there are any amount of charities that will give you food for free if you dont have much money.

And nobody’s mentioned the HAP scheme, you pay 80 euro a week and they pay your landlord up to 1200 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Paulownia wrote: »
    I’m too old fashioned I suppose but it’s part of the modern trend of people thinking that they have the right to do anything that they like regardless of the rest of the population, they are probably the people who dump rubbish in quiet places at dead of night

Probably as the stuff that gets dumps always includes cans of cider, energy drinks and nappies.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I dont think he said they were in the nip.

7c0841d362cff23b928eb7c7067ca4b7f95f53f5e10839b903d54d2b2abf27c7.jpg

Probably as the stuff that gets dumps always includes cans of cider, energy drinks and nappies.

Indeed and worse near me, mattresses are a favourite

Indeed and worse near me, mattresses are a favourite

its probably that old guy from Ballygar.

its probably that old guy from Ballygar.

I’m in Laois, he’s coming a long way!

I’m in Laois, he’s coming a long way!

its definitely him, he travels a long way now so people don't suspect him. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The builders are back on sites building social housing as they are seen as essential. Must be some kind of immunity among those builders while every other site is closed.

Free school meals across the board, problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The builders are back on sites building social housing as they are seen as essential. Must be some kind of immunity among those builders while every other site is closed.

But we're told the Government doesn't build social housing??

Advertisement