Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

It's not great for that kind of cash. The battery is very poor.

The 3 cell 36wh was never going to be good, hence the obvious upgrade at configuration stage. I’d say you’d be lucky to pull 3hrs with light to moderate use on a full charge. I’d be expecting far better things from the 4 cell 70wh (when it arrives on Monday) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The camera isnt great for zoom calls though

Supposed to be 720

Could it be the driver?

Did you use Lenovo's driver ?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ie/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/5-series/ideapad-5-15are05/81yq/81yqcto1ww/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Camera%20and%20Card%20Reader

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Supposed to be 720

Could it be the driver?

Also make sure it’s set to “HD” in the Zoom video settings - it’s not by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Supposed to be 720

Could it be the driver?

Camera on it is very poor. Its 720p at 0.9MP.
    My 10 year old laptop has a better camera installed.
    Only disappointing thing I've found so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Whats the best value one of these now that the deal is over folks ? Need to pick up a couple of future-proofed laptops for some relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

for anyone wondering before, the ram is dual channel, well my 16gb is anyway according to CPU-Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hi folks. I need to get my hands on a laptop which will be mainly used for typing - emails, word docs, zoom calls and netflix, decent battery. I'd like a 13 inch and budget is low as it wont be a main work laptop so would be great to get something for 400ish max if thats not too much to ask. Any recommendations woud be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thursday: Expect delivery by 9PM Friday.
    Friday: We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay.
    Sat/Sun: Expect delivery by 9PM Monday.
    Monday: We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay.

I think every time I've had something sent to me via UPS I've had to pick it up from them. They're <15 minutes drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Mine arrived yesterday evening, even though it was scheduled for Monday. I usually get stuff, about two days after the scheduled date.
    Probably the most flawless Windows install, I ever had.
    Had the usb stick ready since last week, and luckily already had a usb to ethernet dongle.
    Converted to gpt, installed windows, then straight to the Lenovo page and installed all their drivers.
    Activated with the Ebay key and all A1, not a single hitch or error.
    It's a heck of a laptop for the dosh.

Thanks OP.

Hi all. I needed a new work laptop to replace my very slow, but still going strong, 10-year-old Toshiba Satellite. I bought a Windows 10 pro key off ebay and followed the process as per the PDF and the other instructions on this thread. All worked out fine, except the screen is permanently showing the watermark "Go to settings to activate Windows". Everything seems to be working, and Windows updates installed ok. I'm not at all tech savvy, just followed exactly what you kind people have suggested. Any ideas why this is happening if Windows is working fine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Hi all. I needed a new work laptop to replace my very slow, but still going strong, 10-year-old Toshiba Satellite. I bought a Windows 10 pro key off ebay and followed the process as per the PDF and the other instructions on this thread. All worked out fine, except the screen is permanently showing the watermark "Go to settings to activate Windows". Everything seems to be working, and Windows updates installed ok. I'm not at all tech savvy, just followed exactly what you kind people have suggested. Any ideas why this is happening if Windows is working fine?

Did you enter the key that you got off ebay while installing windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thursday: Expect delivery by 9PM Friday.
    Friday: We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay.
    Sat/Sun: Expect delivery by 9PM Monday.
    Monday: We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay.

I think every time I've had something sent to me via UPS I've had to pick it up from them. They're <15 minutes drive away.

I had to call them on Friday to see what the issue was (my tracking said there had been an emergency).

It seems that they didn't have my correct address on the package as they had to ask me for it and then the tracking changed to "Address Change Requested".

Now it's "In Transit". I'd love to know where it's going because it was already in Dublin

Yes

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Did you enter the key that you got off ebay while installing windows?

Yes!

Try this again:

Steps to activate Windows 10 with a product key

STEP 1For installation of Windows 10, enter your product licence key.

STEP 2Press the Windows key, go to Settings > Update and Security > Activation.

STEP 3Press the Change Product key.

STEP 4Enter your product key into pop-up box and press Next.

STEP 5Press Activate.

Unless there's a problem with the key this should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The guy I purchased the key from said NOT to enter the key when installing windows.
    Select I do not have a product key, then activate after the install.

Try this again:

Steps to activate Windows 10 with a product key

STEP 1For installation of Windows 10, enter your product licence key.

STEP 2Press the Windows key, go to Settings > Update and Security > Activation.

STEP 3Press the Change Product key.

STEP 4Enter your product key into pop-up box and press Next.

STEP 5Press Activate.

Unless there's a problem with the key this should work.

Thanks for your help. I tried this once before and again just now..getting the a pop-up saying "Unable to activate Windows...don't have valid digital licence" Not looking good!

Do you think I need to buy another key off ebay?

It's a bit tedious but you can try reinstalling windows and do as Zimmerframe suggested.

If that does not work the first contact the seller on ebay and ask for another key.

Again if you have to buy another key then buy from sellers with some feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INSTANT-GENUINE-WINDOWS-10-PROFESSIONAL-32-64-BIT-PRO-ACTIVATION-CODE-KEY/114224913268

The guy I purchased the key from said NOT to enter the key when installing windows.

Ohhh :( no instructions with my key. Thanks Zimmerframe.

Anybody else having any trouble with their keys?

It's a bit tedious but you can try reinstalling windows and do as Zimmerframe suggested.

If that does not work the first contact the seller on ebay and ask for another key.

Again if you have to buy another key then buy from sellers with some feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INSTANT-GENUINE-WINDOWS-10-PROFESSIONAL-32-64-BIT-PRO-ACTIVATION-CODE-KEY/114224913268

Ok will try this, thank you :)

Here is the seller, for anybody looking to buy. I thought it looked genuine and has some feedback. Maybe I just fudged the installation.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/INSTANT-WINDOWS-10-PROFESSIONAL-PRO-32-64-BIT-ACTIVATION-CODE-LICENSE-KEY/153575919187

• Advertisement

The seller has some good feedback. I would say contact seller and explain you are having issue with the key. He maybe able to provide you a new key.

The seller has some good feedback. I would say contact seller and explain you are having issue with the key. He maybe able to provide you a new key.

Already on it :D will update when I hear back and hopefully resolve. Thanks for your prompt assistance today, much appreciated.

Just to update; the seller got in touch and provided another key, worked perfectly. Thanks for all again.

this was what worked for me also the last time i did it

just got an update, delivery due on 20th

despite all the delay mails, that'll be in or around the four weeks originally stated (if it arrives!)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Just received an email saying they can't fulfill the order with the metal palm rest so they're substituting the plastic one, and giving a €10 refund, along with a voucher for €25 on future purchases up to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Just received an email saying they can't fulfill the order with the metal palm rest so they're substituting the plastic one, and giving a €10 refund, along with a voucher for €25 on future purchases up to August.

Ya I just got the same email. Don't know why they dragged it out so long it was fairly obvious for a while. It's a pity, but I'd be happy just to get the laptop.

On the positive side expected shipping date is today, yay.

I'm looking for a work laptop - music production, coding, occasional video editing, etc. I need grunt and storage.

I have the thinkpad e595 configured with ryzen 7, 16Gb, no OS, .5Tb SSD, 1 Tb mechanical at 773.57 with the 10% discount. The OS discount is worth 100 and only seems to be available on AMD. I doubt I'll do better with a similar spec, but would be happy to be told I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'm looking for a work laptop - music production, coding, occasional video editing, etc. I need grunt and storage.

I have the thinkpad e595 configured with ryzen 7, 16Gb, no OS, .5Tb SSD, 1 Tb mechanical at 773.57 with the 10% discount. The OS discount is worth 100 and only seems to be available on AMD. I doubt I'll do better with a similar spec, but would be happy to be told I'm wrong!

That's the previous generation Ryzen chip. The new 4000 series is the one that's making all the waves. You'd be better off waiting until they're available in the think pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Hi all, slightly odd question but what were the dimensions of the box your laptop was delivered in? I have one due in June to my Parcel motel locker and wanted to know if it will fit &#55357;&#56899;

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

It was 32.5 x 8 x 52 (centimetres)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Dante7 wrote:
    That's the previous generation Ryzen chip. The new 4000 series is the one that's making all the waves. You'd be better off waiting until they're available in the think pads.

If you're editing 4k video, you need a far better processor/graphics card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement