Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just got mine and windows now installed.

Best 590 quid I think I've ever spent !

You got the 4800,16GB ,256GB SSD and Touchscreen was it ?
    That was a good price .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭maddog1983

It has just arrived. I’m like a child on Christmas morning.

I don’t know how my other laptop has kept going until now (4 years of heavy heavy use and a few knocks along the way).

Now time to set it up and enjoy the video rendering and encoding :-)

Sorry have you a link for the Windows 10 and key for it on ebay too.. I know it came up somwhere here. Just setting mine up too

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

maddog1983 wrote: »
    Sorry have you a link for the Windows 10 and key for it on ebay too.. I know it came up somwhere here. Just setting mine up too

I don’t but they were mentioned in this thread.

I’ll be installing windows over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Zardoz wrote: »
    You got the 4800,16GB ,256GB SSD and Touchscreen was it ?
    That was a good price .

512GB. No touch screen.

Anyone know how to activate the backlit keyboard?

Also the function keys are a bit weird, can't seem to use the airplane mode button for example. Tried Fn+F8, Shift+F8 etc but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

512GB. No touch screen.

Also the function keys are a bit weird, can't seem to use the airplane mode button for example. Tried Fn+F8, Shift+F8 etc but no joy.

Function and the left side of the space bar. On, Dim, Full, Off.

• Advertisement

Heroic. I dunno how I didn't spot it!!

Lads sorry but clueless as to how setup windows on my laptop, can someone post how to, I downloaded the the toolkit from. Windows. Sorry not to computer literate

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

512GB. No touch screen.

Fn and space bar

512GB. No touch screen.

That was a great price.

Kicking myself I sat on the fence too long and lost the 4800 and 4600 configurations I had saved .Only the 4500 was saved properly.
    The extra 6 threads of the 4600 would have better for future proofing.

The confusion over whether the ram was dual channel and the lack of reviews dissuaded me from jumping in ,I was afraid of a noisy fan .

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

maddog1983 wrote: »
    Lads sorry but clueless as to how setup windows on my laptop, can someone post how to, I downloaded the the toolkit from. Windows. Sorry not to computer literate

Here is what I did after reading the thread from some posters earlier today, using the links they provided and some YouTube videos:

1) put windows onto blank usb using another laptop from link posted
    2) new laptop, accessed the bios to change the launch setting to first run from usb
    3) turned off new laptop, inserted USB, turned on laptop, will try to install windows
    4) input product key for win 10 pro I got off eBay for e4 when asked, you will get to a stage where the disk is in an incorrect format
    5) watch that YouTube video posted earlier to format the disk
    6) once that's done, restart and go thru windows install again
    7) next issue you run into is the missing Wi-Fi driver but I proceeded to install windows without connecting. Once windows is installed then look to get the Wi-Fi driver.
    8) I USB tethered my laptop to my phone, went on lenovo driver link posted and found the Wi-Fi driver and installed that
    9) unthethered my phone, added the Wi-Fi code to the laptop and all up and running
    10) might be good to install the other drivers from lenovo and graphics card that were posted also

I am far from tech savvy myself, 1st time I've tried this so hopefully didn't f*ck it up. I think the biggest problem I had was accessing the bios, I think I held fn, shift and f2 when turning on the laptop.

The more tech minded amongst us please feel free to rip the above apart if I've done something wrong. Working fine so far I think and hope.

• Advertisement

BLUEYK wrote: »
    Here is what I did after reading the thread from some posters earlier today, using the links they provided and some YouTube videos:

1) put windows onto blank usb using another laptop from link posted
    2) new laptop, accessed the bios to change the launch setting to first run from usb
    3) turned off new laptop, inserted USB, turned on laptop, will try to install windows
    4) input product key for win 10 pro I got off eBay for e4 when asked, you will get to a stage where the disk is in an incorrect format
    5) watch that YouTube video posted earlier to format the disk
    6) once that's done, restart and go thru windows install again
    7) next issue you run into is the missing Wi-Fi driver but I proceeded to install windows without connecting. Once windows is installed then look to get the Wi-Fi driver.
    8) I USB tethered my laptop to my phone, went on lenovo driver link posted and found the Wi-Fi driver and installed that
    9) unthethered my phone, added the Wi-Fi code to the laptop and all up and running
    10) might be good to install the other drivers from lenovo and graphics card that were posted also

I am far from tech savvy myself, 1st time I've tried this so hopefully didn't f*ck it up. I think the biggest problem I had was accessing the bios, I think I held fn, shift and f2 when turning on the laptop.

The more tech minded amongst us please feel free to rip the above apart if I've done something wrong. Working fine so far I think and hope.

Thanks so much il do that and hopefully get it sorted ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I followed the pdf guide in here and it all worked a treat. Thanks for the guide! Much appreciated as no thinking was needed when it came to setup

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Just picked mine up there in Shannon.

Looks very nice and solid.

I had mine connected via ethernet during the windows setup and that seems to install all the drivers needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Doff wrote: »
    I've attached a pdf that covers how to install windows - please excuse the crappy photos :) . You'll need a computer that already has windows 10 and a minimum 4GB USB stick.

I'm proposing a one minute clap at 6pm tonight for the boards Lenovo support. Bravo folks, great help in this thread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Mine arrived yesterday evening, even though it was scheduled for Monday. I usually get stuff, about two days after the scheduled date.
    Probably the most flawless Windows install, I ever had.
    Had the usb stick ready since last week, and luckily already had a usb to ethernet dongle.
    Converted to gpt, installed windows, then straight to the Lenovo page and installed all their drivers.
    Activated with the Ebay key and all A1, not a single hitch or error.
    It's a heck of a laptop for the dosh.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BJG524

From the pdf, after the command prompt section when i come back out i am just getting troubleshooting and shut down computer options?? Im not getting continue and use a device as per the pdf, anyone any ideas what im doing wrong?

Have moved the usb up to number 1 in boot order etc

Do i need to reformat the windows tool that i downloaded from microsoft site?

Knock on the door this morning, the Ups man with the laptops.
    Unusual for a delivery on a Saturday but a pleasant surprise none the less.

First impressions,its a very nice looking laptop .

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

BJG524 wrote: »
    From the pdf, after the command prompt section when i come back out i am just getting troubleshooting and shut down computer options?? Im not getting continue and use a device as per the pdf, anyone any ideas what im doing wrong?

Have moved the usb up to number 1 in boot order etc

You can shut down and start the laptop back up at that stage. All the continue button does at that stage is saves you from shutting down and starting back up.

• Advertisement

thanks

ANyone having issues with the wifi driver - my laptop wouldnt pick up the tethered phone, just download the driver from the link supplied on the previous page to usb on another laptop and load onto the new one

My install didn’t go so smoothly, I think my usb stick bricked it, found an SD card and used that.
    The Lenovo site won’t detect my laptop Either for drivers and such.
    I got the WiFi driver in the end.
    I presume we don’t need download drivers for the Processor and everything else?

Also the AMD site download thingy won’t install on my system as it says somethings not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

XsApollo wrote: »
    My install didn’t go so smoothly, I think my usb stick bricked it, found an SD card and used that.
    The Lenovo site won’t detect my laptop Either for drivers and such.
    I got the WiFi driver in the end.

Also the AMD site download thingy won’t install on my system as it says somethings not supported.

You getting this?
    Radeon Settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s).

BLUEYK wrote: »
    You getting this?
    Radeon Settings version and Driver version do not match. Please try again after updating to the latest version(s).

Wasn’t that it was something about not being supported.
    I figured it out anyway just put in Ryzen 4500 driver in google and it took me to AMD site and downloaded Adreniline 2020 or something and that worked

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Windows update should cover that kind of stuff for you (hopefully :o)

Doff wrote: »
    Windows update should cover that kind of stuff for you (hopefully :o)

Sweet,
    The PDF was great.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

As soon as Windows installed, I installed everything from here apart from Bios update.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ie/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/5-series/ideapad-5-15are05/81yq/81yqcto1ww/downloads/driver-list/

Everything worked perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is this a good deal for €575? Would be using for coding (Python), podcast recording and editing, and a bit of occasional video editing

Configuration Details
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.0GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache )
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Preload Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Office : Microsoft Office Trial
    Color : Platinum Grey
    Selectable Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
    Total Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", TLC
    Optical Device : Dummy ODD Platinum Grey
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, 220nits, Anti-glare, No touch
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Keyboard : Keyboard Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 0.3M Camera with Single Mic
    Surface Treatment : IMR
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 36Wh
    Power Adapter : 65W Wall Mount AC Adapter (2pin)-UK
    WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Wireless 1x1 AC, Bluetooth Version 4.1 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

The camera isnt great for zoom calls though

Supposed to be 720

Could it be the driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is this a good deal for €575? Would be using for coding (Python), podcast recording and editing, and a bit of occasional video editing

Configuration Details
    Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (2.30GHz, Max Boost up to 4.0GHz, 4 Cores, 4MB Cache )
    Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
    Preload Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
    Microsoft Office : Microsoft Office Trial
    Color : Platinum Grey
    Selectable Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM
    Total Memory : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Onboard
    Second Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, 2.5", TLC
    Optical Device : Dummy ODD Platinum Grey
    Display : 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), TN, 220nits, Anti-glare, No touch
    Graphic Card : Integrated Graphics
    Keyboard : Keyboard Grey English (UK)
    Camera : 0.3M Camera with Single Mic
    Surface Treatment : IMR
    Palmrest : PC/ABS
    Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 36Wh
    Power Adapter : 65W Wall Mount AC Adapter (2pin)-UK
    WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Wireless 1x1 AC, Bluetooth Version 4.1 or above
    Language Pack : Publication-English
    Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

It's not great for that kind of cash. The battery is very poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement