Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I would be very surprised if they allow gatherings of 500, never mind 5000.
    I just got a text from National Concert Hall that a concert I had on the 25th of May is now rescheduled for February 2021.

Again different country, but in Belgium my colleague told me that the easing of restrictions (May 4th for them) will allow gatherings of up to 10 people. She also plays tennis and the guidance will be up to 2 people allowed to play against each other, so only singles matches

I reckon something similar could happen here. This would allow people some more freedom of movement and the ability to meet with friends and family without going completely crazy about it. If this works, then more restrictions to be lifted after the June bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

I think they should allow hardware and garden centers open so people can stay at home gardening or doing up the house especially coming up to bank holiday, people are bored and want to get out off the house, If I could get my hands on paint I'd paint the whole fcking house and I'm sure a lot off others would do the same and keep them in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

jester77 wrote: »
    They had to put some number on it, I would assume they did some calculations.

In Germany, they are opening shops that have a size less than 800 sqm. When asked why this number, Merkel replied that they only wanted a certain % of shops opened at the start and 800 sqm was the point where they could hit that % number. They had no other metrics to quickly do this.

So it is probably something similar for the 5k number to cut down on a certain % of events.

The 800 sqm limit was chosen to prevent megastores opening and drawing big crowds into the shopping areas, which would make social distancing more difficult as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Social distancing is your own responsibility, don't go if you don't want to.

I'd imagine most of the bunker-brigade rarely venture out of their darkened bedrooms, much less attend outdoor festivals.

What about group cycle events of say 2,000??

I’m wondering about the Ring of Beara, rescheduled for August 29. I’d love it to go ahead - something to look forward to - but I don’t see it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I think they should allow hardware and garden centers open so people can stay at home gardening or doing up the house especially coming up to bank holiday, people are bored and want to get out off the house, If I could get my hands on paint I'd paint the whole fcking house and I'm sure a lot off others would do the same and keep them in the house.
    Make sure tis well ventilated or you'll be off your game for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if they allow gatherings of 500, never mind 5000.
    I just got a text from National Concert Hall that a concert I had on the 25th of May is now rescheduled for February 2021.

Again different country, but in Belgium my colleague told me that the easing of restrictions (May 4th for them) will allow gatherings of up to 10 people. She also plays tennis and the guidance will be up to 2 people allowed to play against each other, so only singles matches

I reckon something similar could happen here. This would allow people some more freedom of movement and the ability to meet with friends and family without going completely crazy about it. If this works, then more restrictions to be lifted after the June bank holiday weekend.

Good Post

Would be great even if we could have gatherings of up to 5 initially and able to travel to meet people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Might be the wrong thread so apologies, but with relaxing of restrictions do people foresee flights becoming available for foreign travel?
    This isn't for a carefree holiday, my girlfriend is from Spain and despite the worse situation over there, she is desperate to get home to her family (particularly her elderly father).

I know as things stand you can book flights after the 5th May date. But probably no point until we see how things stand after that. Hard to put a timeframe on it but I'd like to be able to give her some hope.

I’d say these premises will be among the first to open. Maybe they could do it on a booking system of hour time slots to ensure not too many in the store at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good Post

Would be great even if we could have gatherings of up to 5 initially and able to travel to meet people

It’s necessary now for restrictions to be lifted and 5,10,20 people initially is fine but people are going to have to get used to being in crowds again because this virus is going nowhere and we can’t continue to restrict gatherings whilst waiting for a vaccine that may never arrive.

First of all and most important is getting back to visiting family and keep that contact going then expand from there.

We were never meant to have grandparents see their grandchildren growing up on video calls.

We have to get away from the fear factor and aim for some normality before everyone forgets what normal used to be like.

• Advertisement

Might be the wrong thread so apologies, but with relaxing of restrictions do people foresee flights becoming available for foreign travel?
    This isn't for a carefree holiday, my girlfriend is from Spain and despite the worse situation over there, she is desperate to get home to her family (particularly her elderly father).

I know as things stand you can book flights after the 5th May date. But probably no point until we see how things stand after that. Hard to put a timeframe on it but I'd like to be able to give her some hope.

I reckon flights would be available, but like you say you need to wait and see how things will play out here and in Spain. I guess there could be some self isolating involved, probably though something she could leave with.
    Hope all goes well for you, your girlfriend and your families :)

I reckon flights would be available, but like you say you need to wait and see how things will play out here and in Spain. I guess there could be some self isolating involved, probably though something she could leave with.
    Hope all goes well for you, your girlfriend and your families :)

They are definitely available, I guess we will wait until the 5th for a further announcement and if we book flights ensure we have enough insurance cover.
    It's a scary time and very upsetting to see her struggle. Self isolation wouldn't be an issue at all. We'd stay in her family home for the 2 weeks no problem.
    Thank you very much, that's really kind.
    Hope you and everyone in the forum are safe and well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

road_high wrote: »
    I see Suprmacs are re-opening now too. It's obvious, businesses can't go on any longer with this shutdown and must get the tills ringing again.

Only for takeaways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I'd imagine most of the bunker-brigade rarely venture out of their darkened bedrooms, much less attend outdoor festivals.

I'm noticing a trend in the bunker brigade.
    They dominate this thread from about 4pm onward every day but never seem to be around before midday.

I wonder what the reason is?

I’d say these premises will be among the first to open. Maybe they could do it on a booking system of hour time slots to ensure not too many in the store at any one time.

One of my local hardware/DIY stores has already been doing this since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Okay I didn't know that.

But an event with 4,999 can go ahead?
    No. But it doesn't require a licence.

This was merely a direction to local councils to reject all applications they have sitting on their desks, and it provides a teaser of what we as a population can expect for the next 6 months.

One can argue that a plan should be made and communicated in one go, but slowly drip-feeding out the certainties will make it all less of a shock when the plan is set out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Only for takeaways though.

Baby steps, baby steps. Businesses are sensible and will keep any risk to an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

They are definitely available, I guess we will wait until the 5th for a further announcement and if we book flights ensure we have enough insurance cover.
    It's a scary time and very upsetting to see her struggle. Self isolation wouldn't be an issue at all. We'd stay in her family home for the 2 weeks no problem.
    Thank you very much, that's really kind.
    Hope you and everyone in the forum are safe and well!

Seemly a member of the EU commission stated yesterday that family members will be able to travel in the EU to visit or return to their country.
    I can't find an official statement on it though.
    Worth bearing in mind even if the Irish government has an advisory not to fly to another country it is only an advisory if a flight is scheduled the flights would still go ahead , travel insurance may not cover you in this circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I wish they would allow them to open too,my local woodies is twice the size of the lidl next to it and it has big aisles that are easy to maintain social distancing for both staff and customers!,it would keep people occupied at home if they had a few projects to do.

road_high wrote: »
    Baby steps, baby steps. Businesses are sensible and will keep any risk to an absolute minimum.

I hope you`re right. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

I wish they would allow them to open too,my local woodies is twice the size of the lidl next to it and it has big aisles that are easy to maintain social distancing for both staff and customers!,it would keep people occupied at home if they had a few projects to do.

Before they were forced to close, I was very impressed with Woodies measures- lots of space for social distancing, security on the door to limit numbers at one time, perspex screen on checkouts (first place I'd seen at the time). They could easily and should re-open asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Try checking your local hardware shop, my one delivers paint paid for over the phone.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Seemly a member of the EU commission stated yesterday that family members will be able to travel in the EU to visit or return to their country.
    Worth bearing in mind even if the Irish government has an advisory not to fly to another country it is only an advisory if a flight is scheduled the flights would still go ahead , travel insurance may not cover you in this circumstances.

That's an interesting point.
    I always go home to Greece for Christmas and it's in the back of my mind that if there is any spike of the virus later in the year, would I be able to go?
    My main concern wouldn't be if it was just advisory and certainly not the 300 euro I could lose, it would mostly be that I could expose my parents (who are 83 and 73 years old) and/or I would have to self isolate for 14 days, which defeats the purpose of going home to see family and friends.
    Too early to think about it I guess, let's see first what May will bring.

ZX7R wrote: »

Thanks for that, only issue with that would be I'd imagine I'd have no rights to go with her. But worst case scenario I would accept that so she could go alone.
    Then there'd be the possibility that she wouldn't be able to return here. So a lot to think about.
    Play it by ear and see what happens. If the flights are going ahead then surely people are able to travel within the EU. Regardless of whether it's their home country or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The amout of people who are struggling now either mentally or financially or both as a result of the lockdown is huge. There will be massive numbers of jobs permanently lost, people will lose their homes, and lose their families and their lives as a result of this. There are people who lost their homes in the last recession that will lose them again. We need to get people back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good Post

This would really make life a lot easier if it this was to be one of the restrictions lifted on May 5th. I suspect if they don't ease some kind of restriction on seeing people from outside your house then people are going to start breaking the restrictions a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I see this as a bigger mortality threat than Covid, a possibilty of famine in many countrys, as the world adopts the WHO strategy of lockdown to combat this virus- and a reason why lockdowns can not continue indefinitly.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52373888

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

thebaz wrote: »
    I see this as a bigger mortality threat than Covid, a possibilty of famine in many countrys, as the world adopts the WHO strategy of lockdown to combat this virus- and a reason why lockdowns can not continue indefinitly.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52373888
    The fourth annual Global Report on Food Crises highlights Yemen, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Nigeria and Haiti.

I can't imagine Lockdown Larry is going to care about a famine that affects black and brown people. It's more important to keep a handful of western white people safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That's an interesting point.
    I always go home to Greece for Christmas and it's in the back of my mind that if there is any spike of the virus later in the year, would I be able to go?
    My main concern wouldn't be if it was just advisory and certainly not the 300 euro I could lose, it would mostly be that I could expose my parents (who are 83 and 73 years old) and/or I would have to self isolate for 14 days, which defeats the purpose of going home to see family and friends.
    Too early to think about it I guess, let's see first what May will bring.

It might be more like you would be able to travel to see your immediate family ,I would not believe that it would be to see friends ECT but who knows.
    The only country I've seen that plans on relaxing restrictions on flights is Poland it was issued on State tv as part of their easing of restrictions it's ment to start the 5th of May

• Advertisement

GazzaL wrote: »
    The amout of people who are struggling now either mentally or financially or both as a result of the lockdown is huge. There will be massive numbers of jobs permanently lost, people will lose their homes, and lose their families and their lives as a result of this. There are people who lost their homes in the last recession that will lose them again. We need to get people back to work.

Yes I am noticing even more hardline lockdown advocates are now even turning as the fallout becomes real. The bad news (ie reality) re the economy the past week has been brutal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement