Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more cash refunds, Goverment wants to forse a voucher on you.

Options
  • 21-04-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Heather Humphreys is proposing a new law forcing consumers to accept vouchers instead of cash refunds (Pat Kenny this morning).

7 EU countries have passed local laws which are in contravention of the EU261 requirement for cash refunds.

It shouldn't happen since EU261 has direct provision.

It could happen here if we ever get a government!

I'd suggest submitting a claim into the small claims court before the government take away you right to a cash refund.

Suggest you call/email your local TD and ask them why this government expects you to subsidise Michael O'Leary.

TDs email addresses can be found

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/

Format is first name.last @oireachtas.ie
    leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie

heather.humpreys@dbei.ie for her ministerial office.

Process for getting your refund: Before they change the rules!

Small Claims Court costs €25, fast. Airline response within 15 calendar days.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

Commission for Aviation Regulation. Free.
    "at present so it may be several weeks before we can issue a comprehensive response to your complaint. "
    https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid480261345/car450.xsp;jsessionid=86BABC6C7D85BB38FFE4A67D8D3C6682.node1

Chargeback..... Not looking good dependent on bank and credit card provider.

Should your right to a cash refund be replaced with a voucher? 209 votes

Retain the present right to a cash refund.
    68% 144 votes
    Replace a cash refund with a restrictive 12 month no passenger name change voucher.
    30% 63 votes
    Replace a cash refund with a 5 year, change passenger name with no fee voucher
    0% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's her constituency office. Your issue is with her ministerial decision so heather.humpreys@dbei.ie will leave her constituency email for constituents who need help during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I didn’t think EU261 applied as it’s out if the airlines hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

ted1 wrote: »

No extra compensation is due because the cancellations were due to circumstances clearly beyond the airlines' control, but a full cash refund of the ticket price still must be offered by the airlines when a flight is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

:mad: Things like this really get me riled. Imagine if it was the other way around and someone owed them money. Always the same ****e.

I have four flights booked in June with Ryanair, nothing from them yet.
    Will be bubbling away ready to explode when an email arrives offering a voucher replacement. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I think the issue here is that issuing refunds will bankrupt many airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You can't get blood from a stone.

You could try. Bankrupt the airlines. Stand in line with all the other creditors.

So what have they done with money that isn't actually theirs? Contract not completed.

Grr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

kleefarr wrote: »
    So what have they done with money that isn't actually theirs? Contract not completed.

Grr

Difficult to complete a contract when countries are banning inbound flights etc.

Many of the airlines costs still need to be paid even if no flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, a lot of them were using that money for share buybacks so feck them. I'd accept a voucher tbh but thats cos I'm still employed but harsh for those who've lost their job to be given a voucher as they might be very unlikely to be able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

paddy19 wrote: »
    Heather Humphreys is proposing a new law ...
    It might be helpful if you could link to the detail of what she is proposing, so we can decide if we're against it or not.

• Advertisement

Difficult to complete a contract when countries are banning inbound flights etc.

Many of the airlines costs still need to be paid even if no flights.

Joe Bloggs get shafted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kleefarr wrote: »
    :mad: Things like this really get me riled. Imagine if it was the other way around and someone owed them money. Always the same ****e.

I have four flights booked in June with Ryanair, nothing from them yet.
    Will be bubbling away ready to explode when an email arrives offering a voucher replacement. :mad:
    They carry about 10M passengers a month, have patience lots of people to process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Agreed. Airlines are very vulnerable at the moment.

Virgin Austrialia have just gone into administration and 4 of Norwegian Airlines crew subsidiaries have filed for bankruptcy..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52363428

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/four-of-norwegians-crew-subsidiaries-file-for-bankruptcy/137975.article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

EU261 applies, there is a lot of confusion about the difference between compensation and a refund.

Compensation can be refused because of extraordinary circumstances.

Cash refunds within 7 days are always required when the airline does not fly for any reason.

It's not up to random passengers to act as a bailout fund for airlines by providing an interest loan where keep your money if you don't follow their crappy conditions.

Passengers bought tickets not a no upside share in the company.

That's what shareholders, hedge funds, bankers and governments do.

By the way neither Ryanair of Aer Lingus are going bankrupt.

amdublin wrote: »
    You can't get blood from a stone.

You could try. Bankrupt the airlines. Stand in line with all the other creditors.

So you think I should give Michael O'Leary and interest free loan?
    Many airlines have very hefty cash balances.

Chargeback would apply via your credit card.

If I wanted some of the action I would have bought shares.

They carry about 10M passengers a month, have patience lots of people to process

I know lots of people will be affected and I am just as concerned for them Always the general public that get the brunt.

Phoebas wrote: »
    It might be helpful if you could link to the detail of what she is proposing, so we can decide if we're against it or not.

Take a listen to Pat Kenny this morning.

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/pat-kenny-show-234857

Right at the very end:

"but whether it's a cash refund or through vouchers I'm looking at that at the minute"

Since we already have a cash refund she's obviously propsoing vouchers.

My interpretation is the immediate cash refund goes and you give Michael O'Leary and Willie Walsh an interest free loan.

I must try that with my bank.
    Bank gives me a loan subject to my terms and conditions
    and if the bank does not comply after 12 months,
    I get to keep the banks money.

Jays that's some deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Too often if you want to rebook your flights, the cost of the flights through the ‘flight change’ portal are higher than making an outright new booking, so the airlines try to have their cake and eat it too. It makes a mockery of your can rebook but must pay a rebooking fee plus the fare difference’ when they’re deliberately inflating or creating a fare difference.

I’d consider accepting a government backed voucher, valid for a year but redeemable for a cash refund at the end of the 12 months with the provision that the flights cannot be more expensive than a standard booking. I understand their cash flow has dried up but equally why should I be hammered twice, both with a voucher then to be charged a penalty fir the flights.

They could process all the requested refunds in 72 hours if they wanted to.

The car hire companies can do it in 24 hours.

They have massive computing power that is basically sitting idle at present.
    here is the question:

If the regulator said they had to give every passenger waiting for a refund would get a €100 a day compensation.
    How long would it take to clear the backlog?

It's not Covid, remote working, computer power or software engineers that are stopping the airlines processing refunds, they want to hold on to your money in the hope that they hustle a deal out of the EU to give passenger crappy vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just what we needed. Another thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I'd suggest submitting a claim into the small claims court before the government take away you right to a cash refund.

Thanks for the tips Paddy.

I will be contacting the minster, it is outrageous that he is suggesting that we subsidise a giant company like IAG who own Aer Lingus, while we suffer reduced income. :mad::mad::mad:

If one puts in a claim now with the small claims court, does the law as at today apply? i.e. if the minster does change the law, it does not retrospectively apply to your claim?

How long do small claims cases take?

I am not sure if I am best waiting for the chargeback process to occur or to jump to the small claims process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Why should anyone go to the scc and have to pay 25 euro.ok if your flights cosy 2 or 3 Grand fair enough but mine only cost 150 euro.
    I want my money back without paying out anyone OR i would accept a 3 or 5 year voucher.1year is ****e.

Why should anyone go to the scc and have to pay 25 euro.ok if your flights cosy 2 or 3 Grand fair enough but mine only cost 150 euro.
    I want my money back without paying out anyone OR i would accept a 3 or 5 year voucher.1year is ****e.

Could try the regulator.
    The site is obviously written by lawyers.
    But the process is fairly user friendly.

Basically same type of process as SCC but free.
    They send your claim to the airline and threaten them if they don't pay up.
    Complete a menu driven process and get a ref number.

No idea what sort of back log they have but can't hurt.

https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid358380352/car450.xsp;jsessionid=72C16D235CF79B42D44D3B4D2C70DA94.node1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Could try the regulator.
    The site is obviously written by lawyers.
    But the process is fairly user friendly.

Basically same type of process as SCC but free.
    They send your claim to the airline and threaten them if they don't pay up.
    Complete a menu driven process and get a ref number.

No idea what sort of back log they have but can't hurt.

https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid358380352/car450.xsp;jsessionid=72C16D235CF79B42D44D3B4D2C70DA94.node1

Need to wait 4-6 weeks after application for refund and then decision time is around 30 days. I started the process last night as it's 6 weeks tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just what we needed. Another thread on this.

needs to be discussed, they closed the other one, fair play Paddy19 for keeping up the momentum

I'm not in the realm yet of having my flight cancelled but its coming shortly and the detail of info here from everyone affected has been great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    needs to be discussed, they closed the other one, fair play Paddy19 for keeping up the momentum

I'm not in the realm yet of having my flight cancelled but its coming shortly and the detail of info here from everyone affected has been great

There are FIVE threads on the topic started by the same poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There are FIVE threads on the topic started by the same poster.

there's a lot of replies coming in, so people are obviously interested in discussing the topic

This is a poll anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There are SEVEN threads on the topic started by the same poster.

Plenty of people getting stung, plus it's topical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Heather Humphreys is proposing a new law forcing consumers to accept vouchers instead of cash refunds (Pat Kenny this morning).

7 EU countries have passed local laws which are in contravention of the EU261 requirement for cash refunds.

It shouldn't happen since EU261 has direct provision.

It could happen here if we ever get a government!

Suggest you call/email your local TD and ask them why this government expects you to subsidise Michael O'Leary.

TDs email addresses can be found

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/

Format is first name.last @oireachtas.ie
    leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie

heather.humpreys@dbei.ie for her ministerial office.

Process for getting your refund: Before they change the rules!

Small Claims Court costs €25, fast. Airline response within 15 calendar days.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

Commission for Aviation Regulation. Free.
    "at present so it may be several weeks before we can issue a comprehensive response to your complaint. "
    https://secure.aviationreg.ie/eseries/uiid480261345/car450.xsp;jsessionid=86BABC6C7D85BB38FFE4A67D8D3C6682.node1

Chargeback..... Not looking good dependent on bank and credit card provider.

Paddy, you must have quite a bit invested as you seem to think we can change things.
    For me the principle reason we were not in on this first batch in change of law (though it was mentioned) is two of the Airlines Irish and especially Ryanair, so many bookings low cost flights voucher easy option.
    In recent days the policy of EasyJet have changed to voucher.

I would not bother going to claims court as you just be adding €25 to cost of flight.
    I heard someone say we not need attend claims court which is correct, we can send our Lawyer and that likely to cost another €25.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement