Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVI- 21,983 in ROI (1,339 deaths) 3,881 in NI (404 deaths)(05/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Are building sites back open? I didn't hear anything, but the one at the back of where I live is in full swing!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Are building sites back open? I didn't hear anything, but the one at the back of where I live is in full swing!

Depends on what they are building?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

kevcos wrote: »
    Boards and this thread are a good barometer of the current status of Covid-19

Each morning I go to the most thanked posts page.

In recent weeks the Covid-19 thread frequently made up to 26/26 of the most thanked post, by contrast today Covid-19 posts account of only 6/26.

So we've passed the peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Depends on what they are building?

Apartments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Apartments

They are not supposed to be back working unless they got some sort of exemption or it is deemed essential construction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Apartments

No, they shouldn’t be opened then, ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Aren't the private hospitals meant to be operating under the national public scheme at moment. I would have thought centralizing all covid patients to one area/hospital a good idea for infection control. So why is their one covid patient in the bons private in cork at the moment when their are free icu beds in Cork university hospital? Anyone any ideas?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/
    see data from April 18 pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

So we've passed the peak?

Could infer that the peak of interest in peoples minds has peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't know if this has been posted but a perspective from Taiwan, a picture of of preparedness, experience with SARS, rapid and early reaction and ... some luck.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/how-taiwan-has-confounded-predictions-in-fending-off-the-worst-of-covid-19-1.4229660

• Registered Users Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

threeball wrote: »
    Cuomo has stated numerous times hes not going to run for president. Lies are trumps most easily demonstrated Achilles heel but it would be easily countered if Cuomo went back on his word.

Every politician says they won’t challenge the party leadership, until they do

• Advertisement

We've probably got used to this arrangement but that doesn't mean we're not itching to get out from under it. We still need to be lectured every day about the dangers of being out but the idea of passing a peak without a dreaded surge is a comfort given where we might have been in the alarming days of early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It definitely has for me. Find it too depressing now to read about all day. So I generally just check in for morning and night to see latest updates

Unearthly wrote: »
    It definitely has for me. Find it too depressing now to read about all day. So I generally just check in for morning and night to see latest updates
    That's a healthy attitude. I know of a number of people who not only "sneak out" but also get their dose of news at least 3 times a day. I'd imagine that is the norm.

Singapore seems to be 'taking off' with +1,426 new cases today.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Singapore seems to be 'taking off' with +1,426 new cases today.
    Largely migrant workers I believe, who they have packed into apartments and dormitories like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Is diy stores , builders merchants open for home delivery this week. Someone mentioned it to me last night but don't know if true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

On morning Ireland just now doctor Jack Lambert said that some GP’s are testing privately, not part of the official figures. He said that there are clusters in inner city Dublin and among the Roma and homeless communities! I certainly haven’t seen this reported anywhere, makes me seriously doubt the figures we’re being given. Looks like these people are not being isolated when diagnosed and are not included in the figures published.

kingbhome wrote: »
    Is diy stores , builders merchants open for home delivery this week. Someone mentioned it to me last night but don't know if true or not.
    One right beside me has been doing "emergency" since last week and I see a lot more cars outside this morning. Here's an official comment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-can-be-accessed-only-for-emergencies-says-minister-1.4232565

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

On morning Ireland just now doctor Jack Lambert said that some GP’s are testing privately, not part of the official figures. He said that there are clusters in inner city Dublin and among the Roma and homeless communities! I certainly haven’t seen this reported anywhere, makes me seriously doubt the figures we’re being given. Looks like these people are not being isolated when diagnosed and are not included in the figures published.

Not sure how a GP could test privately to be honest. They dont have the equipment to take the swab or the labs to send them to unless they go through the HSE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Gynoid wrote: »
    I just checked and I still got boobs. Phew.

Link please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Link please.

Photos or gtf

How can they test privately as the test would then have to go to the labs and be reported? That's not new on Roma etc, BTW, it was mentioned before. I'd also add I've developed my own bugbear during this - the I'm a doctor, listen to me, brigade. I'm sure they mean well but by and large they neither have the expertise nor the information to comment and can often give non-stories legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Might I suggest that it is a bad idea moving asylum seekers from hotels all around Dublin and a virus epicenter, to remote villages on the western coast of Ireland.
    "There has been an outbreak of Covid-19 in a Kerry hotel housing more than 100 asylum seekers recently transferred from Dublin. Four asylum seekers at the Skellig Star in Caherciveen tested positive and were transferred to Cork last Tuesday. However, there are fears locally that the number of positive cases could be higher". More here.

Regarding hindsight, I posted over a month ago that this plan by the Department of Justice was a bad one, and vulnerable and immune-compromised people should have been moved there instead.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Might I suggest that it is a bad idea moving asylum seekers from hotels all around Dublin and a virus epicenter, to remote villages on the western coast of Ireland.
    "There has been an outbreak of Covid-19 in a Kerry hotel housing more than 100 asylum seekers recently transferred from Dublin. Four asylum seekers at the Skellig Star in Caherciveen tested positive and were transferred to Cork last Tuesday. However, there are fears locally that the number of positive cases could be higher". More here.

Regarding hindsight, I posted over a month ago that this plan by the Department of Justice was a bad one, and vulnerable and immune-compromised people should have been moved there instead.
    Fears do not make facts, just more fear. We have also got a whole lot better at this isolation approach and the transmission rate in the community is almost zero so there is considerably less reason to be concerned than say 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gynoid wrote: »
    Whoops wrong thread. I thought it was the one about coronavirus but I seem to be in one just about Drumpf.

When boards switch on trump, I switch off from boards.

Kivaro wrote: »

Vunerable and immune compromised Irish and asylum seekers and refugees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

When boards switch on trump, I switch off from boards.

I completely agree. I can never understand the obsession people have.

On morning Ireland just now doctor Jack Lambert said that some GP’s are testing privately, not part of the official figures. ... Looks like these people are not being isolated when diagnosed and are not included in the figures published.
    There are private tests available but I think somewhere earlier in one of the covid threads someone questioned their reliability. Some company up the north can't remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1271028/Angela-Merkel-Germany-China-coronavirus-blame-Wuhan-Xi-Jinping-Trump-latest

Fair play to Germany, everyone should do this, send an invoice to your countries Chinese embassy - for any loss of earnings, lash in a few grand for the trauma of it all .... ****ing c*nts need to pay for all this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

is_that_so wrote: »
    One right beside me has been doing "emergency" since last week and I see a lot more cars outside this morning. Here's an official comment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-can-be-accessed-only-for-emergencies-says-minister-1.4232565

It was mentioned to me they where open for home delivery for non essential.
    Are driveway repairs essential?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement