Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been in a fight

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I haven't been in a fight in decades, since I left school. The closest was when I ran into the Sunday Independent journalist Barry Egan and my wife had to stop me from approaching him and offering to meet him outside. I'm not proud of myself but there you go. I really hate that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

He sleep with your wife or something?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

No, I'm not a scumbag.

In your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I haven't been in a fight in decades, since I left school. The closest was when I ran into the Sunday Independent journalist Barry Egan and my wife had to stop me from approaching him and offering to meet him outside. I'm not proud of myself but there you go. I really hate that man.

I bet a few have almost fought Dave Savage on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Lots. All at school. My problem was that I couldn't just let name-calling or abuse go, and had to give it back (usually better than I got), and of course a thumping would inevitably follow. I would fight back of course, but ineffectively, so I would lose...then rinse and repeat. In primary school two of my classmates enjoyed waiting for every day over a period of weeks on the way home. I can remember how it made me feel then but in reality it was just a few not-very-well-delivered thumps and it was the blow to pride and self-esteem that hurt most. I know there are many who have suffered far worse at the hands of bullies.

But there was one that I won. For some reason this guy, who was what we would have called at the time "a bit of a girly-boy" started to have a go at me. This was in 6th class and it just happened once or twice before I stopped it. He fought by slapping and shin-kicking but got away with it because he was a lot taller than me. Then something snapped. He started on me just outside the doors of the school as we were all leaving for the day. I don't know what I did, but it must have been fast because the next thing I knew I had one hand on or near his throat with him bent backwards over a low wall, me with my fist drawn back to my ear ready to drive it into his face...and someone grabbed my fist and stopped me with an "Ah come on lads." It was another guy from my class, a tough enough guy but not a bully. I gave him a look that said "Don't ruin this for me" but he wasn't having it. Fight over. I was more annoyed with the fight-stopper than the wannabe bully (the F-S is a blacksmith now I think, and made a lot of the weapons for Game of Thrones; the wannabe bully is dead), but that was the end of that little bullying campaign. Fcuk all of them. Nearly half a century later I still wouldn't give any of them the time of day if I met them (that doesn't include the F-S of course).

I've seen some fights, though, since I worked part-time in a pub during my teens, and what struck me is the speed at which they happen. It's so unlike the carefully choreographed and slower-moving fights in movies and television. It's more like watching cats fighting. One minute it's facing-off and yowling, and in a fraction of a second they're rolling around clawiing and biting and you never noticed the transition.

And the cats are even worse. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Sherry Baby

Got into a fight twice as a teenager. I won both times. :cool:

Advertisement