Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours kid trespassing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It's currently 20 years continuous usage for a prescribed right. The 2009 act has changed the period to 12 years, but all your period of usage has to run after the 2009 act came in, so the earliest you can claim a prescribed right under the new act is 2021.

All rights of way now have to be granted, they can't be prescribed. If you wat to rely on an existing prescribed right you have to register it before 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

All rights of way now have to be granted, they can't be prescribed. If you wat to rely on an existing prescribed right you have to register it before 2021.

No... you can still make claims of prescription after 2021 providing you have used the right continuously for at least 12 years before you start the action.

Prescribed rights that are no longer being exercised need to be registered before 2021 or else you risk losing them. But if you are continuously using the right there is no need to register it before 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ittakestwo wrote: »
    No... you can still make claims of prescription after 2021 providing you have used the right continuously for at least 12 years before you start the action.

Prescribed rights that are no longer being exercised need to be registered before 2021 or else you risk losing them. But if you are continuously using the right there is no need to register it before 2021.

If existing prescribed rights are not used they will be lost after 12 years. The law does not allow acquisition by prescription any more other than in accordance with section 35 of the 2009 Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

If existing prescribed rights are not used they will be lost after 12 years. The law does not allow acquisition by prescription any more other than in accordance with section 35 of the 2009 Act.

Which is 12 years of continuous use next before the action.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Put a barrier in the way? If you can't erect a fence, park something on the drive to stop him crossing your driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Shanvp

michellie wrote: »
    Don't ya hate when someone starts up a thread, gets loads of advice and then vanishes off the face of the earth and doesn't respond to anything...

Im new to this, I thought I would get some sort of notification on replies but I guess not, I didn't expect to come back to 8 pages of replies! 😂.
    The issue for me is that we have a small drive way with two cars in it, which I'd be afraid of him accidentally damaging them(yes I should have probably mentioned that at the beginning). I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know their way of thinking, which is why I asked I the first place.
    The family are quite loud which I would expect from a large family and that's probably adding to the irritation. But basically the general opinion seems to be to just deal and get over it, I'm not looking to fall out with anybody as a new neighbour but just don't want to be walked all over either. So that's fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

If you have any 2 litre plastic bottles, fill a couple of them with water and leave them on the drive way. This should scare him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Nicki99

Shanvp wrote: »
    Im new to this, I thought I would get some sort of notification on replies but I guess not, I didn't expect to come back to 8 pages of replies! 😂.
    The issue for me is that we have a small drive way with two cars in it, which I'd be afraid of him accidentally damaging them(yes I should have probably mentioned that at the beginning). I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know their way of thinking, which is why I asked I the first place.
    The family are quite loud which I would expect from a large family and that's probably adding to the irritation. But basically the general opinion seems to be to just deal and get over it, I'm not looking to fall out with anybody as a new neighbour but just don't want to be walked all over either. So that's fair enough

Reading your first post it was obvious to me that you don't have kids. (Don't mean that in an offensive way).

As a mom of 5 I can tell you honestly that that 6 year old is not trying to wind you up, they simply don't understand and if you explain it you'll be wasting your time because they will forget. Then you'll get more wound up because you'll think they are ignoring/disrespecting you.

Say nothing, put up a fence/ditch or potted plants to block them and save yourself a lifetime of war with your neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Nicki99 wrote: »
    As a mom of 5 I can tell you honestly that that 6 year old is not trying to wind you up, they simply don't understand and if you explain it you'll be wasting your time because they will forget.

I disagree.

A six year old is well able to understand a simple instruction like "use your own path".

By that age they are in first class and well able to follow a teacher's instructions, like where to line up in the yard, etc.

To say they are unable to understand or will just forget this is a parenting cop out.

AulWan wrote: »
    I disagree.

A six year old is well able to understand a simple instruction like "use your own driveway".

By that age they are in first class and able to follow a teacher's instructions.

To say they are unable to understand or will just forget is a parenting cop out.

I have to respectfully disagree. To give you some examples, every day I ask mine after eating 'did you put your plates in the sink?' at least one of them will say I forgot.

Every day I will ask them did you put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket, at least one of them will say I forgot.

When they are outside on the trampoline which is enclosed so the dogs can't get in someone will leave the gate open because they forgot..

Every single day someone forgets something I have been drilling into them since they were old enough to understand.

Kids are kids, they forget, they make mistakes and that's ok. The problem is adults who don't understand them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

A few people in here should ask themselves what they were doing at 6, 7 or older and if they lived by the rulebook and did everything Mammy, Daddy or the neighbour said. Infront of them I probably did....behind their backs I would do the opposite. It is called being a child and growing up.

@OP
    It is a child, even if he is jumping a wall, once he isnt doing damage to your garden then you need to relax. Dont forget you will probably live beside the lad for the next 10-12 years and if you are getting upset about this what are you going to be like when he starts listening to loud music, telling you to feck off or pelting your house with eggs. Showing that this very minor thing upsets you, will result in 2 things...
    1. The neighbours will end up talking behind your back and hating you....its only child walking over your driveway....trespassing in your words....a normal thing in many other worlds. I have kids playing in my garden on a daily basis....once they dont do any harm where is the problem???
    2. When the local kids get older or the older ones now....if they know what you are like they will make your life hell. Spuds in the exaust of your car, vaseline on your window wipers, ringing your bell buring sh1t on your doorstep and running away, eggs thrown at your windows...........could all be a lot worse than a 6 year old walking over your driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Shanvp

I have to respectfully disagree. To give you some examples, every day I ask mine after eating 'did you put your plates in the sink?' at least one of them will say I forgot.

Every day I will ask them did you put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket, at least one of them will say I forgot.

When they are outside on the trampoline which is enclosed so the dogs can't get in someone will leave the gate open because they forgot..

Every single day someone forgets something I have been drilling into them since they were old enough to understand.

Kids are kids, they forget, they make mistakes and that's ok. The problem is adults who don't understand them..

I completely get this now and that it's just kids being kids, sure we were all that age once, thanks for your point of view. I didn't expect this thread to get so out of control over it, just goes to show everyone had a different way of thinking!

Shanvp wrote: »
    I completely get this now and that it's just kids being kids, sure we were all that age once, thanks for your point of view. I didn't expect this thread to get so out of control over it, just goes to show everyone had a different way of thinking!

Exactly, we all see things differently depending on our own personal circumstances. And you're absolutely right, we were all kids ourselves once and were probably monsters to others and didn't realise or don't remember. We can't expect kids to behave responsibly like adults because they are not adults!

Block off your drive whatever way you can and enjoy your new home ☺️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Your will know in a year or so what tupe of kid they are starting to be.
    Its funny often see kids with parents and you know what type your dealing with
    What the family like

Its okay to disagree.

But to the OP, if you let this lad continue on his merry way walking through your driveway now, before you know a few years will have passed and you'll have him and his teenage mates tampling to and fro through your garden ... don't say you weren't warned. Now is the perfect age to put a halt to it.

I raised two kids myself. If they were told not to do something by me, and they still did it, there were consequences, like removal of a toy and you'd be surprised how quickly they learn not to "forget" when they lose their favourite toy for a few days. Does wonders for the memory. Its all in the parenting.

Its okay to disagree.

But to the OP, if you let this lad continue on his merry way walking through your driveway now, before you know a few years will have passed and you'll have him and his teenage mates tampling to and fro through your garden ... don't say you weren't warned. Now is the perfect age to put a halt to it.

I raised two kids myself. If they were told not to do something by me, and they still did it, there were consequences, like removal of a toy and you'd be surprised how quickly they learn not to "forget" when they lose their favourite toy for a few days. Does wonders for the memory. Its all in the parenting.

Now is the perfect age for the op to block their drive without falling out with the parents so it doesn't escalate when the 6 year old grows up and turn into a war with the parents. They won't have teenagers trampling it if they say nothing and just block it now.

We have an open drive ourselves and my kids will not go onto our neighbours property because I won't let them so if that's an underhanded dig at me you couldn't be more wrong. That being said our neighbours let their kids onto our property but you know what? Doesn't bother me in the slightest, they're kids! I personally don't allow it but not worth falling out with people you are possibly going to be living beside for the rest of your life. Kids grow up, they move away but owners still have to live beside each other...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

In the 1990s my neighbour who was in the IRA planted a tree in a gap so the children couldn't get into his field. However I heard a story about how the army used to use our garden as a shortcut to get into his field to spy on him so maybe the tree was to keep them out too.

Now is the perfect age for the op to block their drive without falling out with the parents so it doesn't escalate when the 6 year old grows up and turn into a war with the parents. They won't have teenagers trampling it if they say nothing and just block it now.

We have an open drive ourselves and my kids will not go onto our neighbours property because I won't let them so if that's an underhanded dig at me you couldn't be more wrong. That being said our neighbours let their kids onto our property but you know what? Doesn't bother me in the slightest, they're kids! I personally don't allow it but not worth falling out with people you are possibly going to be living beside for the rest of your life. Kids grow up, they move away but owners still have to live beside each other...

Why should the OP have to go to the trouble and expense of blocking off their driveway?

They've already spoken to the child, now they should talk to the child's parents and ask them to teach their child not to use their driveway.

There doesn't have to be a falling out, but there does need to be a discussion. And if that fails, then they can look at other options.

But I would not just passively sit back and accept it because "they're just kids".

Yester wrote: »
    If you have any 2 litre plastic bottles, fill a couple of them with water and leave them on the drive way. This should scare him away.

Doesn't work for cats so not a hope it'll works kids. Kids have no fear..

Water pistols work on cats.

The OP should use one on the six year old .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the 1990s my neighbour who was in the IRA planted a tree in a gap so the children couldn't get into his field. However I heard a story about how the army used to use our garden as a shortcut to get into his field to spy on him so maybe the tree was to keep them out too.

Do you think the neighbours kid might be in ISIS?

Why should the OP have to go to the trouble and expense of blocking off their driveway?

They've already spoken to the child, now they should talk to the child's parents and ask them to teach their child not to use their driveway.

There doesn't have to be a falling out, but there does need to be a discussion. And if that fails, then they can look at other options.

But I would not just passively sit back and accept it because "they're just kids".

Jesus it's not huge expense to block it with a fence or ditch of some sort and it'll be money well spent if it prevents a lifetime of hell from neighbours who don't appreciate a stranger telling off their kid.

The op has already stated they understand its just a child that doesn't mean any harm so not sure why you have such an issue. You sure you have kids? You come across as one of those child hating crazy dog people..

Jesus it's not huge expense to block it with a fence or ditch of some sort and it'll be money well spent if it prevents a lifetime of hell from neighbours who don't appreciate a stranger telling off their kid.

The op has already stated they understand its just a child that doesn't mean any harm so not sure why you have such an issue. You sure you have kids? You come across as one of those child hating crazy dog people..

Again I ask, why should they have too? Why should they have to go to any trouble or any expense?

Because some parent is unwilling or not bothered enough to teach their child how to respect other's boundaries and property?!?!

If its not such a big deal, why did you bother teaching your kids not to go on your neighbours property, like you say you did?

I think you're looking at this backwards. The child's behaviour is the issue here, and it bothered the OP, or they wouldn't have put up this post.

And yes, I do have kids, two of them, and dogs as well. Well mannered ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You come across as one of those parents who's angels could do no wrong.

As a 6 year old, if I had been asked not to walk through someone's garden, I wouldn't have walked through their garden, end of story. Then again my parents would have been the first to tell me before it got to the stage of the neighbours telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Get a loan of another 6 year old, to speak nicely to the offender...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Again I ask, why should they have too? Why should they have to go to any trouble or any expense?

Because some parent is unwilling or not bothered enough to teach their child how to respect other's boundaries and property?!?!

If its not such a big deal, why did you bother teaching your kids not to go on your neighbours property, like you say you did?

I think you're looking at this backwards. The child's behaviour is the issue here, and it bothered the OP, or they wouldn't have put up this post.

And yes, I do have kids, two of them, and dogs as well. Well mannered ones :)

A child walking over a driveway on its way home.....as I wrote before, the OP can be happy if that is his only problem. A 6 year old is a 6 year old and not a robot.....

As you have kids I will ask.....do you think your kids follow every rule you lay out?? They are angels so??? Take off your pink glasses......

I certainly know I didnt follow the rules laid out to me as a 6, 10 or 17 year old and used some of them to test my boundries. As a 10 year old I was sticking spuds up the neighbours exaust as she complained we were too loud when playing football on the green, at 13 I was doing much worse....had a man beside us close to a mental home. Today he is a good friend, I admitted it was me all those years ago and we laugh about it. He realises that he wasnt being fair and that in his words..."he was up to the same at that age".

pablo128 wrote: »
    You come across as one of those parents who's angels could do no wrong.

As a 6 year old, if I had been asked not to walk through someone's garden, I wouldn't have walked through their garden, end of story. Then again my parents would have been the first to tell me before it got to the stage of the neighbours telling me.

You're completely wrong, I'm the first one to put manners on my kids if they need it, hence the reason why they won't go on my neighbours property. I can bring mine anywhere and they will behave themselves. They will sit quietly in restaurants and say please and thank you. They are very well behaved but they're still kids and mess up sometimes.

Just to repeat if my kids do wrong I will not allow it but I will not stand by and allow a stranger to tell them off either. I don't know a single parent who would stand for that. The days of neighbours giving out to other peoples kids and the parents being OK with that are gone. At least where I'm living.

To keep the peace the best thing to do is block the area or move out to the middle of nowhere where there isnt a child to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you think the neighbours kid might be in ISIS?

:-)

A child walking over a driveway on its way home.....as I wrote before, the OP can be happy if that is his only problem. A 6 year old is a 6 year old and not a robot.....

As you have kids I will ask.....do you think your kids follow every rule you lay out?? They are angels so??? Take off your pink glasses......

I certainly know I didnt follow the rules laid out to me as a 6, 10 or 17 year old and used some of them to test my boundries. As a 10 year old I was sticking spuds up the neighbours exaust as she complained we were too loud when playing football on the green, at 13 I was doing much worse....had a man beside us close to a mental home. Today he is a good friend, I admitted it was me all those years ago and we laugh about it. He realises that he wasnt being fair and that in his words..."he was up to the same at that age".

My kids are in their twenties now, and no, I don't expect that they followed every rule I set every single time, but I can tell you that if any neighbour had come to me and asked that I speak to my son about not using their driveway as a short-cut I would have said "no problem" and sat him down and explained not to do that again. No need for any fallings out at all.

If he then did do it again there would have been consequences, and there would be each time, until he learned to do as I asked. Its not difficult. Parenting 101. Teach your kids not to bother other people. I would not expect my neighbour to pay for a fence because of any child of mine, I'd be mortified.

But there seems to be different standards these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

slipperyox wrote: »
    Get a loan of another 6 year old, to speak nicely to the offender...

A bigger 6 year old.

Advertisement