Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours kid trespassing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is this thread a wind up, or just Covid 19 related silliness?

A 6 yr old child takes a shortcut. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Cover the whole house and garden in a chickenwire dome OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Is the child climbing over a diving wall or hedge or fence or is the front of open plan?.

Maybe its the stress of COVID 19 but it's a very minor thing to get upset about also how many times a day are they doing it? are you constantly in your front room watching to catch it happening?

If you're only new in the house, is it worth possibly falling out with your neighbours over this?

Give it some time, smile and say hello and then you can work it into a simple conversation when you know them better.

Do not fall out over it, you will end up regretting it.

There’s no point in submitting to them from day one.

Like has been said, in this country they’ll surely claim and surely win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Shanvp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have just moved into a new house with new neighbours who have 4 kids, they very much keep to themselves. One of the kids is about 6 years old and keeps cutting through our driveway , I have asked him politely to walk around but he keeps doing it, it's really starting to grate on me. Am I being petty and unreasonable?

Get a dirty mackintosh and walk up and down the street past his house a few times, looking furtive while you are doing it. It will soon stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Having been in a similar situation in our new house many years ago - I assume it's a shared driveway/front garden - I would suggest putting up a trellis framework a couple of inches inside the boundary and planting loads of fast-growing shrubs, clematis etc. And big pot plants by the house if that's paving slabs or similar.

Wouldn't make a big deal of it, if it crops up then tell the neighbour you've planted there so can the kids keep off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The kids has an excuse for acting childishly.

You don't.

Grow up, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I had a similar problem with 3 boys living next door. They were football mad. Used to come home to four balls in my back garden everyday. They broke the fence multiple times, my car was never clean of ball prints. My front window was the same. It bothered me. It actually bothered their parents even more. It didn't matter how many times they were told, they were going to play football, they weren't intensionally doing it. I didn't want to tell them to go play around the corner because they could have been hit my a car. Safer were their parents could see them.

I used to have the craic with them. When I saw the prints on the car I used to tell them they're the worst footballers on the street. I didn't throw the balls back until I had them all too.

Cutting throw my drive way when there is no car there wouldn't bother me. But doing it when I'm reversing out would.

Maybe tell the parents you nearly hit him because he ran across when you reversed out will get them to drill it into him not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I had the same issue but worse the parents were trapsing across my little garden for a short cut and also kids on pogo sticks who would lose balance and fall onto my car. I nipped it in the bud early enough by planting nice shrubs to the front and side and also some large potted plants too. It trained them to stick to their own patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I had a similar problem with 3 boys living next door. They were football mad. Used to come home to four balls in my back garden everyday. They broke the fence multiple times, my car was never clean of ball prints. My front window was the same. It bothered me. It actually bothered their parents even more. It didn't matter how many times they were told, they were going to play football, they weren't intensionally doing it. I didn't want to tell them to go play around the corner because they could have been hit my a car. Safer were their parents could see them.

I used to have the craic with them. When I saw the prints on the car I used to tell them they're the worst footballers on the street. I didn't throw the balls back until I had them all too.

Cutting throw my drive way when there is no car there wouldn't bother me. But doing it when I'm reversing out would.

Maybe tell the parents you nearly hit him because he ran across when you reversed out will get them to drill it into him not to do it.

But that's not remotely a 'similar' problem

lawred2 wrote: »
    But that's not remotely a 'similar' problem

Neighbours kids, annoying me, coming into my front garden. This went on for 5 years so two of the kids would have been six. I would say that's similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Neighbours kids, annoying me, coming into my front garden. This went on for 5 years so two of the kids would have been six. I would say that's similar?

The OP said the kid takes a shortcut through his drive. Nothing about footballs or cars.

So no, it doesn't sound similar.

For the record, we lived the football pitch next door life for a while. Would come home to sometimes upwards of 10 different balls in our back garden. I'd swear the parents just kept buying more to keep the supply of balls going so as to keep the kids out the back. Great day when they told us they were putting the house on the market.

So I know what you're talking about.

Saw none of that in the OP though.

The OP said the kid takes a shortcut through his drive. Nothing about footballs or cars.

For the record, we lived the football pitch next door life for a while. Would come home to sometimes upwards of 10 different balls in our back garden. I'd swear the parents just kept buying more to keep the supply of balls going so as to keep the kids out the back. Great day when they told us they were putting the house on the market.

Little scrotes trespassing where they shouldn’t and of a similar age. It’s very similar regardless of whether they have a ball or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just get into the habit of cutting through the neighbours garden. Every time you get an opportunity, like several times a day. If it's good for the goose ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

pablo128 wrote: »
    Just get into the habit of cutting through the neighbours garden. Every time you get an opportunity, like several times a day. If it's good for the goose ......

.........It’s good for the child. Grown ups usually don’t try and mimic the behaviour of 6 year olds to get back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Little scrotes trespassing where they shouldn’t and of a similar age. It’s very similar regardless of whether they have a ball or not.

Little scrotes? It's a six year old walking in a garden ffs.

The OP can decide for their self. They asked for advice and I can relate to it. It's similar to me. So I'm going to leave it there if that ok.

Thanks for the comment. I'll bare it in mind in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP I'm intrigued at your thread title. Yes the child being on your property is technically trespass but it seems a very combative way to look at the issue.

As others have pointed out, removing the access is the simplest way to deal with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Shanvp wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have just moved into a new house with new neighbours who have 4 kids, they very much keep to themselves. One of the kids is about 6 years old and keeps cutting through our driveway , I have asked him politely to walk around but he keeps doing it, it's really starting to grate on me. Am I being petty and unreasonable?

I think you are going to have many many problems in your new house unless you learn to lighten up. I can see that this can be annoying, it might annoy me too but you need to have some perspective on this. If this is the biggest problem you have in your new neighborhood you are very lucky indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Bullocks wrote: »
    Bear trap!

Looks like the OP took your advice but obviously caught himself first seeing as he hasn't been back here since :(

OP, (when you get out of the Bear Trap), have you spoken to the parents or any of the other children ? Do they otherwise appear to be decent people ? If so I'd leave well alone or maybe do some planting as others have suggested. This will resolve itself and there's no point in stressing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

From experience eastern europeans really are passonite about property rights and trespassing with kids

Irish kids don't get it big problem in new build areas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think it is petty given the age of the 'trespasser'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think it is petty given the age of the 'trespasser'

Here we have the nub of the problem - no respect for other peoples property and no parenting. It is not the neighbours property and their child should not be on it - simples. Why is the basics of parenting so absent nowadays children not being taught or made responsible for their behaviours by their own parents? It beggars belief the sense of entitlement and abdication of any sense of basic courtesy and manners, Keep yourself and your children out of other peoples private gardens and off their private property. Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

I know a polish guy works in Microsoft be high flyer 60k a year think he is a customer agent so the recession will probally take him out to be replaced by a answering machine, anyhow back to the story he works 6am till 7pm and a little Traveller kid keeps ****ting in his garden when he's in work , one side of the street guy who borrowed 250k other side social house kids at home all day

It can always get worse 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    6 years old? That wouldn't bother me at all. Not unless he's pulling up flower beds!

12/13 years old is a different story.

Leave him away. You'll only fall out with the neighbours and/or always be that nasty neighbour to the kid growing up.

If those 12/13 years old learned right from wrong at 6 maybe they wouldn't be cause trouble at 12/13.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

This point has been made already but you need to put a stop to this immediately for the sole reason that if the kid has an accident on your property, and this isn't the USA, but that could still open up a can of worms and cause you time consuming legal hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

If it bothers you that much, put up a fence, or some thorny plants.

I’m surprised how many posters wouldn’t have an issue with this or how this type of misbehaviour by a child leads on to more serious misbehaviour as they get older.

There are a long list of reasons why it’s unacceptable for someone to be continually walking through your property. I would put up something to block the route op if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

If its one of those open plan "gardens" that often come with new builds, have no grass, and is basically just a parking space then I think that it is going to happen.

As an adult, if I were out on a walk and as I got to my house with one of these gardens, as soon as I got passed my neighbours car I would turn in towards my house, even if it is still technically my neighbours garden.

Now, if its an actual garden with some kind of fencing or marking out of where they stop and start then I think you have the right to be annoyed. If it really annoys you or causes some kind of bother then I would put in a hedge or some kind of physical boundary, maybe even just plant pots.

Advertisement