Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbours kid trespassing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Little scrotes? It's a six year old walking in a garden ffs.

If they are only 6 then their scrotes will be tiny! :pac:

Caranica wrote: »
    OP I'm intrigued at your thread title. Yes the child being on your property is technically trespass but it seems a very combative way to look at the issue.

As others have pointed out, removing the access is the simplest way to deal with things.

When its constant then I can see how "trespassing" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m surprised how many posters wouldn’t have an issue with this or how this type of misbehaviour by a child leads on to more serious misbehaviour as they get older.

There are a long list of reasons why it’s unacceptable for someone to be continually walking through your property. I would put up something to block the route op if I was you.

None of which a 6 yr old will understand or even care about. Lighten up, 6 yr olds taking a short cut is not something which should bother you.

Dav010 wrote: »
    None of which a 6 yr old will understand or even care about.
    Which is what parents are for, right?
    A 6 year old also doesnt know that drinking bleach is bad but we dont just let them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've seen this happen a lot in my estate, the front gardens here are usually just grass with a driveway, easy for kids to cut across. A lot of people have now put up fences, planted hedges or shrubs, or put plant pots around. I think that's probably the best that the op could do and it really stops this from happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shanvp wrote: »
    One of the kids is about 6 years old and keeps cutting through our driveway
    Grow rose bushes. They look nice, but are hard to walk through...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Personally i would ignore but if its annoying you that much leave the grass on the lawn after cutting for a few weeks.
    When he starts bringing your grass to mammy's living room it likely stop. Then you may have the same problem yourself if you have young kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

I don't mean to minimise your concern as I'm aware you're only giving a part of the story. Nonetheless, it seems very sad that, to many on here, a small child running through your driveway is tantamount to a 'trespass' worth taking action against.
    If you have a specific concern (i.e. flowers getting trampled) then your frustration is understandable, although I would agree with others that it may be worth biting your tongue to keep relations with your neighbors friendly. You never know how much you might be glad of a measure of goodwill if you ever choose to get a barking dog/ loud construction work/ plant a tree/ emergency etc. The grass-cutting is a good idea - subtle but effective.

If it's the mere fact that he is on the property without any realized harm per se, I would re-evaluate your stance. I grew up with a real sense of community in my area and games of hide and seek often landed us behind a neighbor's car. No one ever complained to us personally or to our parents. Most of them had children and understood it was all in good fun and that we were all under 10 years old. It makes me a bit sad that that's unthinkable nowadays (although I do appreciate that in particular areas this type of behavior is accompanied by antisocial tenancies which don't deserve any goodwill). Personally, provided there is no actual harm to the property, I don't really see the issue.

My neighbor has CCTV cameras that can catch who enters our property as well as him having 2+ yearly loud late-night gatherings. These are personally only mild annoyances, so I've never dreamt of mentioning either issue. They're certainly not enough to justify the damage to our otherwise great relationship. He called me in March 2018 during the freezing weather. We had told him we were away so he wanted to ask if we'd like him to turn off our water in the back garden. We very happily agreed and found out afterwards that a few houses had burst pipes that week. That's the kind of goodwill that's earned and absolutely invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Weffer wrote: »
    No, my father always had a problem with things like this, as he says, if that kid gets injured on your property - you're liable. If he falls and hurts himself on your property, you would be to blame, try and nip this in the bud as diplomatically as possible.
    If that was a possibility, then the 6 year old kid using a driveway as a shortcut isn't who anyone should be complaining about or agreeing that it should be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Think some perspective needed. Definitely think through before any actions. You have just moved into a neighborhood! Last thing you want is to step wrong and ruin what could be a very happy time. :)

And it is only 6 years old...the fact things are pleasant enough that it can wander is surely a good thing?

• Advertisement

Think some perspective needed. Definitely think through before any actions. You have just moved into a neighborhood! Last thing you want is to step wrong and ruin what could be a very happy time. :)

And it is only 6 years old...the fact things are pleasant enough that it can wander is surely a good thing?

You don’t need to be your neighbours lapdog to have a happy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I had a situation where I allowed neighbours to walk through our garden to take a short cut especially for the children and they ended up claiming a right of way, happily they eventually moved but it was all most unpleasant

Try explaining that to a 6 yr old.

Paulownia wrote: »
    I had a situation where I allowed neighbours to walk through our garden to take a short cut especially for the children and they ended up claiming a right of way, happily they eventually moved but it was all most unpleasant

How is that possible? A right of way occurs if you own a piece of land and in order to get to it you must pass over a piece of land or roadway which is owned by another. Was there no other entrance to their house?

Try explaining that to a 6 yr old.

Shout at it. Hopefully that will make it too afraid to keep doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Shanvp wrote: »
    I have asked him politely to walk around but he keeps doing it,

This is what would bother me. You asked him politely, and he ignored you, so next time, tell him firmly.

I also like the suggestion of telling the parents a little white lie about you almost hitting him with your car when you're reversing.

This might make them sit up and take notice - and its not actually beyond the realm of possibility.

Shout at it. Hopefully that will make it too afraid to keep doing it.

The kid isn’t a dog. You frighten a 6 yr old and you risk getting a thump in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Don't ya hate when someone starts up a thread, gets loads of advice and then vanishes off the face of the earth and doesn't respond to anything...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

My neighbor used to hate us walking on the border wall behind our houses. We'd use it as a short cut to get into a field. He put cement up and filled it will broken pointy glass. Id say these day's he would be sued if something happened, but considering it was a counsel estate he probably didn't have insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

The kid isn’t a dog. You frighten a 6 yr old and you risk getting a thump in the head.

What risks are associated with thumping someone in the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

And in the real world most people realise life is give and take.

And in the real world most people realise life is give and take.

There doesn’t need to be any give or take. You have your house and they have theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

There doesn’t need to be any give or take. You have your house and they have theirs.

Ideally yes but there's always those few who have a problem recognising boundaries, you'll know them if you ever have the misfortune of living beside one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What mean a right of way

How is that possible? A right of way occurs if you own a piece of land and in order to get to it you must pass over a piece of land or roadway which is owned by another. Was there no other entrance to their house?

If someone uses a way uninterrupted for seven years or more they have established a right of way and in this case it represented a substantial short cut for the children when they were small and avoided their having to traverse a long rather dark laneway but when they reached late teens and all their friends and the parents friends were using it it became a problem and we had lost our valued privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If someone uses a way uninterrupted for seven years or more they have established a right of way and in this case it represented a substantial short cut for the children when they were small and avoided their having to traverse a long rather dark laneway but when they reached late teens and all their friends and the parents friends were using it it became a problem and we had lost our valued privacy

Where are you getting 7 years from? Since 2009, it doesn't matter how long a person uses a way, they never establish a right. It was never 7 years either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

7 pages and 2 weeks later,

The OP never came back, its a windup folks.

6 year old walks across open plan garden shocker.!!!

And we wonder why the Daily Mail rag is so successful...

Where are you getting 7 years from? Since 2009, it doesn't matter how long a person uses a way, they never establish a right. It was never 7 years either.

It was 15 years when this happened and we took land law barristers advice at the time so I have to say that you are incorrect, perhaps the law has been changed, happily I have had no need to follow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

It's currently 20 years continuous usage for a prescribed right. The 2009 act has changed the period to 12 years, but all your period of usage has to run after the 2009 act came in, so the earliest you can claim a prescribed right under the new act is 2021.

• Advertisement

Remember the lissadell case and the Wicklow farmer one, of course people can claim rights of way. At the time the barrister was dealing with a case where someone had built a barn on his land and someone wanted to have it moved rather than walk around it!

Advertisement