Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you last go to the barbers/hairdressers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just before Valentine's Day. I was due another around Paddy's Day but work was mad busy and I never got round to it (I refuse to spend my own time on the weekends/days off getting it cut). The work from home order came through then so I'm stuck with the gruaig.

Interested to see where it goes for now for the craic. A blade of any number all over wouldn't suit me anyway so I'm stuck with it.

The wife's hairdresser said she'd sort me out when she reopens whilst my wife gets her hair done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was January, but I shaved my head (number 2 all over) over a week ago and it suits me so it’s good and it goes well with my Covid 19 beard which I might keep when it’s all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

nthclare wrote: »
    There's some fckin hilarious looking heads going around, seen two lads today they looked like they cut their own hair...

Like something out of Angela's ashes

The only was it’d be possible to mess this up is by trying to blend.

Easiest way is to pick a blade and shave your entire head.

I went with a 6 blade all over. It’s impossible to get that wrong.

Used to get a 2 on the sides and back when going to a barber but I ain’t trying that blending lark.

Will go with a 4 or 5 all over next time.

And definitely won’t be going back to a barber ever again tbh. Complete waste of money.

I wonder how many will go out of business.

It used to be a fiver for a cut but it’s not uncommon now to have to pay a tenner or more which is pure daylight robbery!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

9th January. I don't get my hair cut too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Used to get a 2 on the sides and back when going to a barber but I ain’t trying that blending lark.

And definitely won’t be going back to a barber ever again tbh. Complete waste of money.

It used to be a fiver for a cut but it’s not uncommon now to have to pay a tenner or more which is pure daylight robbery!

a tenner is robbery? are you serious? the barbers have to pay council rates, electrcity, insurnance, etc some people must have never came out of the last recession. I cant see any of them going out of business, most of us arent too tight to pay a tenner every couple of months.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    a tenner is robbery? are you serious? the barbers have to pay council rates, electrcity, insurnance, etc some people must have never came out of the last recession. I cant see any of them going out of business, most of us arent too tight to pay a tenner every couple of months.

Considering it took me 10 mins to run a 6 blade over my entire head yes I would suggest a tenner is robbery.

Never again. Some of them will definitely go out of business due to people realising it’s not hard to do themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

Got a clippers and let my son at it it , he did an amazing job

He's one off those people who can do anything with his hands

Considering it took me 10 mins to run a 6 blade over my entire head yes I would suggest a tenner is robbery.

Never again. Some of them will definitely go out of business due to people realising it’s not hard to do themselves.

to me its money well spent, 12 euro to relax for half an hour - 40 mins, that is how long my barber spends btw. to get a haircut from a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Probably a couple of months ago and it's doing my head in .
    Literally. I going to tackle it today with clippers I bought months ago any.
    Any pros with tips before I start ?

to me its money well spent, 12 euro to relax for half an hour - 40 mins, that is how long my barber spends btw. to get a haircut from a professional.

I hate the process of going to a barbers, queueing and then handing over money to something that I’ve learnt since doing it is not a hard job.

Yes the professional can do a better job with blending etc but if all you want is one blade all over your head it’s not rocket science.

• Advertisement

cj maxx wrote: »
    Probably a couple of months ago and it's doing my head in .
    Literally. I going to tackle it today with clippers I bought months ago any.
    Any pros with tips before I start ?

Pick a blade, shave your head, done. Admire the ten euro note that you didn’t hand over to an overpaid barber.

I hate the process of going to a barbers, queueing and then handing over money to something that I’ve learnt since doing it is not a hard job.

Yes the professional can do a better job with blending etc but if all you want is one blade all over your head it’s not rocket science.

I make an appointment, say 10 o clock, i turn up at 10, no waiting, just straight in. have a chat about whatever and hand him 12 euro at the end, sure what would ya buy with 12 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pick a blade, shave your head, done. Admire the ten euro note that you didn’t hand over to an overpaid barber.

What profit would you say the barber has from that 10 euro? they arent paid enough if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,740 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

But I don't want to look like an a Vietnam army recruit from the 70's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

16 euros in one Barber's shop in Ennis

I make an appointment, say 10 o clock, i turn up at 10, no waiting, just straight in. have a chat about whatever and hand him 12 euro at the end, sure what would ya buy with 12 euro?

€12. Post Covid that’ll buy ya a couple of creamy pints of the black stuff.

C’mere I know it won’t suit the younger lads who spend more time in the bathroom than girls do grooming every strand of hair on their head but for old fogeys like me who just get a 4, 5 or 6 blade all over a trip to the barber is just a waste of money.

Good god.

€12. Post Covid that’ll buy ya a couple of creamy pints of the black stuff.

C’mere I know it won’t suit the younger lads who spend more time in the bathroom than girls do grooming every strand of hair on their head but for old fogeys like me who just get a 4, 5 or 6 blade all over a trip to the barber is just a waste of money.

to me that is like saying why wear that ralph lauren shirt?, a pennys one will do.

to me that is like saying why wear that ralph lauren shirt?, a pennys one will do.

It sure will do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ralph Lauren is the epitome of someone who has zero class, talk's through their arse and probably dresses like the local parish priest in his civvies.....
    The cheapest shoite and pure middle class wannabe toffs...

Bellstaff or Barbour now there's class, and nothing wrong with a penny's Polo shirt either...

I know people who own country estates and they wear penny's t-shirts etc..

Sounds ironic,but billionaire's can afford to dress like someone who the likes of your post distinguishes between the classes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Herself is a hair dresser so I normally let her cut which saves me €16

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Mid December before I left Ireland on what was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime backpacking trip..
    Now my hair is like straw and covered in split ends. I keep it tied up and clipped down though so noone else can tell.
    I can't wait to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Last went to the hairdressers on 20th Feb (I actually thought it was more recent than that, but checked my text confirmation there, and alas it was 8 weeks ago).

It’s very long so I usually only go once or twice a year for a maintenance wash-cut-blowdry (trim split ends and upkeep of long layers). I’ve never dyed my hair so thankfully I’m a-ok in that department :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Its €35 where I go, most of the more popular Barbers in Dublin would be around the €25 to €35 mark.

But that's with an appointment, an hour doing the hair and beard (if needed) and a drink.

Ralph Lauren is the epitome of someone who has zero class, talk's through their arse and probably dresses like the local parish priest in his civvies.....
    The cheapest shoite and pure middle class wannabe toffs...

Bellstaff or Barbour now there's class, and nothing wrong with a penny's Polo shirt either...

I know people who own country estates and they wear penny's t-shirts etc..

Sounds ironic,but billionaire's can afford to dress like someone who the likes of your post distinguishes between the classes...

ralph lauren is cheap $hite but pennys is ok:pac:

are you a parody account like that angus ejit who pretends hes a banker in Germany? you sound like you are. judging everyone who wears a certain brand, ridiculous. I couldnt care less if you know people who own country estates and were pennys clothes, what has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,421 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dylan94 wrote: »
    Its €35 where I go, most of the more popular Barbers in Dublin would be around the €25 to €35 mark.

But that's with an appointment, an hour doing the hair and beard (if needed) and a drink.

Sounds like a hipster place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yesterday. Had to pay post-Covid prices for it but I feel better about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Around 4th/5th February.. Things are getting out of hand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

ralph lauren is cheap $hite but pennys is ok:pac:

you sound like you are. judging everyone who wears a certain brand, ridiculous

The ironing is delicious :pac:

Advertisement