Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you last go to the barbers/hairdressers?

Options
  • 15-04-2020 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭

I used be brutal to go to the barbers up until about two years ago and would have only go every few months. I had brutal out of control curly hair.
    I started getting it cut short when the grey started appear and I go every three or four weeks now.
    Last time I went was the 21st Febuary.

When did you last go to the barbers/hairdressers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I last went to the hairdressers on the 7th of March, it's one of the little things I miss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,389 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was planning to go the day after Leo literally shut the country down - what's that 3 weeks ago? Cannot even remember what day it is right now

Not looking great right now - birds nest is how the other half refers to it but not letting them anyway near it with scissors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I bought a trimmer and let my 30 yr old nephew at it. 15 on top and 5 back and sides. I think he was more nervous than me, but he did a fairly good job.

It had to be done though. It was getting wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

6 weeks or so. I've cut my own hair once since the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Buzz cut for the win. Did a mach 3 all over, just to see how it would look, a great idea in a country where it hits 35c of blazing sunshine every day. Won't be bothering again, keeping it to a all over 2 blade until the barbers reopoens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I haven't been to the barbers since october 2018. I just gave up on it all and went all hippy which is unusual for me as I always had short hair. Now I just look like a stoned hippy as some people say.

It now looks like I will have super-long hair in the next few months from being in isolation like every-one else but it's super grey hair, the silvery kind and it does not look the best and it adds 30 years to my life. This new society we are now getting programmed into is pissing me off, but at least I have my hair.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Friday 20th March. Think I did well to get it done....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Do you shower? ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

About 15 years ago .... started using a Wahl trimer myself and graduated to a Mach 3 all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Podge201 wrote: »
    Do you shower? ^
    Actually had a bath before going..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Feb 20th, hair is beginning to get long now. Going to persevere with it though, don't want a buzz cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Started DIY about 6 months ago and never looked back, starting to thin a bit so am conceding early rather than trying to hold on TIL the bitter end
    Was tired of listening to the barber shop bants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Polar101

2005. Bought a €30 shaver from Roche's Stores, which still works fine. I just shave everything off every 2 months. Balding helps too, much less hair to "cut".

Two weeks before the lock down. I have a clipper so I'm going to give myself a buzz cut. I tried growing my hair long before and didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Over 5 years ago.
    Been DIY shaved head ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As a broke student I realised how easy it was to do myself - with better results. I'm a slap head now so I'm definitely not shelling out for the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Two weeks before the lock down. I have a clipper so I'm going to give myself a buzz cut. I tried growing my hair long before and didn't like it.

I'm tempted to do this but it's hard to know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm tempted to do this but it's hard to know where to start. Just encase I mad a botch of it and I've a relative who'd never let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭pgj2015

theteal wrote: »

As a broke student I realised how easy it was to do myself - with better results. I'm a slap head now so I'm definitely not shelling out for the privilege

I doubt that, how do you think you can give yourself a better haircut than a professional who does maybe 10-20 haircuts a day? also it is a lot easier for someone to cut your hair then for you to cut your own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

I used to go every 10 days, my barber also closed down around the same time as the schools and was due to go in the next day. So the first week of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Hooked

Well over 20 years ago...

I cut my own hair. And not a tight ‘one’ all over.
    Proper cut. Scissors. 2 mirrors. 8 different blades.

I’m 42 now... and thank god I can cut it. Coz I haven’t the right shaped head for a tight shave. And the grey needs constant trimming! ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I doubt that, how do you think you can give yourself a better haircut than a professional who does maybe 10-20 haircuts a day? also it is a lot easier for someone to cut your hair then for you to cut your own.

In my experience, a visit to the barbers was a hair cut to last a month or so. I always hated a fresh barbers cut as it was too short. To have it exactly as I'd like it I would have had to visit weekly. When you've got your own clippers, you can do what you want when you want.

Its not difficult to cut your own hair (and I'm not talking buzz, I'm talking gradient short back and sides with a tidy up on top) so I cant say it's "a lot" easier for someone else to do it. The effort, time and money wasted visiting a barbers would outweigh the level of ease of the actual task for me.

theteal wrote: »
    In my experience, a visit to the barbers was a hair cut to last a month or so. I always hated a fresh barbers cut as it was too short. To have it exactly as I'd like it I would have had to visit weekly. When you've got your own clippers, you can do what you want when you want.

Its not difficult to cut your own hair (and I'm not talking buzz, I'm talking gradient short back and sides with a tidy up on top) so I cant say it's "a lot" easier for someone else to do it. The effort, time and money wasted visiting a barbers would outweigh the level of ease of the actual task for me.

I dont buy it to b honest, mirrors or not I just cant see how you think you could do a better job than the barber. it may be handier to you but the job couldn't be better, unless the barber you used was very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Between 10 to 15 years at a guess, i remember paying 12 euro for a haircut in dalkey when i worked up there for a while, robbing bastards, must have been 04/05 i could get the same haircut at home for a fiver, i thought he was taking the piss when he asked me, oh to be an innocent country boy in the big smoke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's some fckin hilarious looking heads going around, seen two lads today they looked like they cut their own hair...

Like something out of Angela's ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

about 12 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

About 8 weeks ago, getting bedraggled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

14th March. I go once a year so I’m good for another 11 months.

Between 10 to 15 years at a guess, i remember paying 12 euro for a haircut in dalkey when i worked up there for a while, robbing bastards, must have been 04/05 i could get the same haircut at home for a fiver, i thought he was taking the piss when he asked me, oh to be an innocent country boy in the big smoke

I pay 12 now. a friend of mine got charged 30 in dublin a couple of years ago.

you wont get one for 5 these days, unless the barber is a complete cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭lucalux

Late 2014, been putting it off a wee bit

Advertisement