Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to Three?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Danger781 wrote: »
    The app is crap, it's basically a web browser view of the site built in to the app rather than adding functionality.. most options don't work
    Thanks. (No better than the rest, then!).

I told a lie - forgot I tried the Amazon app recently while battling a card authentication glitch. 40 mb (had to uninstall several other apps just to download it), and all it did was hide options, prevent going to the website and cause phone freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 x-x-footloose-x

Hey, apologies if this isn't the correct thread but with My3 has anyone been able to find their historic usage for calls etc. Three aren't giving a breakdown of this in and itemized bill format for prepay customers anymore because apparently my3 has all this info. I can't see anything past the last 2 week's.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hey, apologies if this isn't the correct thread but with My3 has anyone been able to find their historic usage for calls etc. Three aren't giving a breakdown of this in and itemized bill format for prepay customers anymore because apparently my3 has all this info. I can't see anything past the last 2 week's.
    On your dashboard after you log in, click on 'View Events' and you'll find it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 x-x-footloose-x

Quackster wrote: »
    On your dashboard after you log in, click on 'View Events' and you'll find it there.

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't go back past may 20th when I do that. Can't seem to get historic usage data. Have been registered to my3 since mid April

Any more magic spells to try? Or maybe some new development happened in June? Or maybe everyone gave up?

I think I tried everything that worked for anyone in this thread, before having to put it aside to focus on getting a new laptop, and then till recently on getting it usable after a forced Windows update. Yesterday I finally recovered the will to have another go at My3, thinking it might be easier via laptop than via phone, and that 3 months might be 'later' enough to try again after the 'temporary' technical problem the website was mentioning. (And I now knew the new password rules). But on both phone and laptop I found the web login/register/re-register (I still don't know which applies) exactly the same kind of obstructive as I found it from April to June.

I was thinking of temporarily uninstalling a phone app(s) to make however much space the My3 one takes, just in case by some fluke it helped get over the first hurdles. But one look at the reviews of the Android one took care of that idea. And it seems to be pot luck whether a suucessful registration will last anyway, even until the next log in. (And until now I thought tenacity conquered all in software problems!).

Hanging on to a weak phone signal listening to how easy it is to top up via My3, or that I can 'pop' into a shop for voucher topup (especially when grounded because of age), and repeating for each device, now seems the better option for mental health. (Unless anyone's had any new ideas?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is it just top up you need?
    https://mi-pay.three.ie/UnregisteredTopup

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Thanks for the link - it's something I wasn't aware of.

Yes, it is just topup I need at the moment (though I don't know when My3 registration might prove useful or even essential at some point).
    But having looked into Mi-Pay a bit, I haven't been able to find a plain English description of how it works exactly. (Maybe that's for security reasons, and/or because only Three seem to be pioneering this use of it?)

It does look nice and quick, and it would be nice to be an early adopter for a change (budget and geography normally get in the way!), but it looks as if Three's Mi-Pay option involves Alexa, and for various reasons anything voice-activated would be too problematic in this house. (Even using the voice-activated helpline some company had for a while was part farce, part nightmare!).

I suspect there'd be other problems, e.g. l seem to remember Three needing permission from my husband for me to top up his phone (which is in effect a dumbphone), and I don't know how security measures would work with topping up our router (though it does do texting). The cable connection needed for accessing the settings means being where the mobile signal is worst, and so on.

I could just see what happens if I try the Mi-Pay with a €10 topup of my phone (though it already has a heap of unused credit). Or maybe you're familiar with Mi-Pay, and know if it would work in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There are add ons available for phone SIMs, 5e for 500MB, it's a paltry allowance but a way of using up credit.

Don't know anything about Mi-Pay, I thought it was just a payment provider that 3 use and one of the options is a one off card transaction. Vodafone and Eir use a provider called 'Vesta' for card payments.

Even if you manage to get my3 working, it still goes through mi-pay. It shouldn't matter whether the card name matches the name 3 have on file, it only matters that the card details you give match the card provider's records.

Regarding my3, no new advice other than...
    - try to login via the old method of mobile number and see where that leads
    Or
    - try to login with the email address that was used as a contact email for the old my3.

Separately, 48 have a deal of 100GB, calls and text for 8 euro and the coverage is same as 3. You need unlocked devices though so that might be a problem if 3 supplied the router or phone(s) you use.

Thank you Ten Pin for your info and suggestions (helpful as always!). I'll follow them up a bit later.

Yes, both our phones were supplied by 3 (though not the router).

I also wondered if Three's Mi-Pay option requires a Huawei phone, as most if my search results on 'Mi-Pay' plus 'Three' had a picture of one. I might be forced to replace my phone before long (it's 5 years old, and stuck with Android 6), but want to put it off as long as I can, as it's still perfect for my needs. One was to still have a 2G and/or 3G switch, to get round difficulties I read about re voice calls over weak signals, caused by network providers switching off the ability in their customers' phones to change from 4G. It took ages to find out from Three whether they did that and in which phones, as the specs they provided were straight from the manufacturers. Eventually, it was established that out of my shortlist of about 9 models from a mixture of companies (including Huawei) only the 2 Motorolas still had the switch.

But I'm going off topic as usual (I blame cabin fever!).

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭3d4life

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There are add ons available for phone SIMs, 5e for 500MB, it's a paltry allowance but a way of using up credit......

FWIW, If you cant get web access :

You can buy the above by texting 'ADD 500MB' ( do not include the quotes :D ) to 50272

To see your cash balance text 'BALANCE' to 50272

To see active allowances text 'EVERYTHING' to 50272 ( but bear in mind that the amount of unused data will probably be wrong as it always seems to lag reality )

You can top up by buying a voucher in a B&M store ( most supermarkets, postoffices etc etc ) and then calling 1744

• Advertisement

Thanks 3d4life. It's useful to know about that 500MB va text. Normally there's enough for us wiith our €20 top ups; our internet's over WLAN and I've never needed much mobile data (just for bits of info while on the move, or any important bits and pieces when our home internet's down).

I get our credit balances via text every so often (that at least always seems to work!). I have used voucher top up sometimes, when it's the only option (it means driving to a town, and never seems to coincide with other errands!).

I did find a use for accumulated phone credit earlier this year when level 5 had us confined to home, and the next topup day it was our turn to be 'upgraded' to the new My3, which I knew nothing about (only that my login credentials weren't working). The Three Chat/helpline seemed hopeless, no other option for topping up from home seemed to be working, and it was quite difficult to find out what was going on (because the My3 thing wasn't hitting all customers at once, maybe). I had about €120 phone credit, and continued searching via mobile data when our internet had gone off. I finally happened on a Boards thread that solved the mystery, then had a few attempts at the My3 login, before it was time to stop and leave a bit of credit for some phone calls.

I tried the 1913 automated top up at various times of day, with no luck untilI tried listening all the way through to find out if the last one was to talk to a human. I then realised I'd been following the wrong routes through the options (some of the instructions seem a little ambiguous). The right sequence of choices didn't seem to work either, and the only one left to try was the card already registered with Three. (I'd assumed that wouldn't work for a system that didn't seem to recognise me and/or my phone). That did the trick, and communications with the outside world were restored 2 or 3 days after being cut off.

In our case, all it had cost (apart from the phone credit) was some time that could have been better spent (we didn't run out of food or medicines, and we're on a road where one of us could have flagged someone down to get a message to town if an emergency arose). But I find website issues that cause problems (some serious) for lots of people particularly annoying when any one of us could probably have told Three where they were going wrong (or even just 'Get an outsider to test it')!

Advertisement